Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 AM

4,974 posts, read 8,451,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Agree 100%.

People don't get violent on weed, and it's impossible to smoke so much that you get to the same place as somebody who just sucked down a fifth of vodka. Plus any "addiction" to weed is purely psychological.

I once attended a party at a house where my friend's husband had invited all his AA pals. There was a woman there who said she was in rehab for pot. HUH???? I laughed. Never heard of such a thing, but perhaps it was court-ordered or something.

Perhaps the woman was just seeking help trying to stop something she was having trouble stopping. Nice you choose to make fun of her. Psychological addictions can be as hard to break as physical ones. Ever see a 400 pound person trying to kick their eating problems?

AA is a volunteer program for alcoholics, this woman you poke fun at was likely going to NA meetings. At any rate she deserves praise for doing what she thought was right for her. If you think pot should be illegal then you should probably quit too. Why would a rational person engage in something they think should be illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM

89,078 posts, read 85,693,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Perhaps the woman was just seeking help trying to stop something she was having trouble stopping. Nice you choose to make fun of her. Psychological addictions can be as hard to break as physical ones. Ever see a 400 pound person trying to kick their eating problems?

AA is a volunteer program for alcoholics, this woman you poke fun at was likely going to NA meetings. At any rate she deserves praise for doing what she thought was right for her. If you think pot should be illegal then you should probably quit too. Why would a rational person engage in something they think should be illegal?
Why would a rational person jump to as many conclusions as you seem to and make all the assumptions you seem to make and read all the things that aren't there into posts that you read into. Uh...I do know the difference between AA and NA, my dear. And I have no idea why you seem to keep jumping to the conclusion that I think pot should be illegal, either. It should be legalized. There's always one like you on every thread that doesn't really read posts but just picks up on a word or two or twists others words to argue just for the joy of arguing. I don't really understand that mentality, but hey, have a party if that blows your skirt up.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why would a rational person jump to as many conclusions as you seem to and make all the assumptions you seem to make and read all the things that aren't there into posts that you read into. Uh...I do know the difference between AA and NA, my dear. And I have no idea why you seem to keep jumping to the conclusion that I think pot should be illegal, either. It should be legalized. There's always one like you on every thread that doesn't really read posts but just picks up on a word or two or twists others words to argue just for the joy of arguing. I don't really understand that mentality, but hey, have a party if that blows your skirt up.

What assumptions? Maybe that this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801
And then the anesthesia wears off a bit, and you wake up realizing that you are clamped wide open but the entire OR staff is over in the corner having a pizza.
Is an indication that you dont think people can act responsibly?
I apologize for taking you seriously when you said that & when you said you laughed at the woman who decided to seek help for something she felt she needed help for. I thought this was a serious debate forum, not a whimsical joke forum.

If, as you say, you think it should be legal then you should IMO anyway, take it seriously when you discuss it.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 PM

24,165 posts, read 32,762,585 times
I do think that it should be legalized. Prohibition was not a smashing success to say the least.
Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol. Not my opinion fact.
People are jailed and have received harsher jail terms than some people who have abused and killed their children.
Get over it! Policing Pot is costly and silly. It ruins lives and fills jails.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,654,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen7276 View Post
I really don't think people who have never smoked weed should even be commenting about it.You people have no idea what you're talking about. As for you people who say weed is just as bad for you as alcohol you are way off base. Alcohol is 100 times worse in every way. Liver disease, diabetes, stomach cancer, etc... It makes people violent, causes people to die in drunk driving related fatalities, people can't control themselves, etc.. Alcohol is highly addictive. Many people ruin there lives and die because they can't stop drinking.
Seems quite dismissive of you to say that. As a crack user, I should say legalize crack because you never did it, so you shouldn't even be commenting about it or having laws that bar me from doing it legally.

/end retort

Alcohol is not 100 times worse than weed. Studies have shown that moderate drinking is beneficial to your health, not detrimental. The term "moderation" applies to everything. Alcohol is just as addictive as weed at the hands of the wrong person. People ruin their lives and die every day due to weed, directly or indirectly (gateway to hardcore drugs).

Let's not drag alcohol into this because they are two different things. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but that's about all they have in common.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:12 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,300,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
People ruin their lives and die every day due to weed, directly or indirectly (gateway to hardcore drugs).
This has been debunked many times over. Any so-called gateway effect has little to do with the drug itself and everything to do with the fact that someone has to go to an illegal dealer to get it.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Seems quite dismissive of you to say that. As a crack user, I should say legalize crack because you never did it, so you shouldn't even be commenting about it or having laws that bar me from doing it legally.

/end retort
Thats absurd. Have you ever seen what crack or cocain does to people? Its one of the most addictive things we have found so far & people ruin their lives over it.

Quote:
Alcohol is not 100 times worse than weed. Studies have shown that moderate drinking is beneficial to your health, not detrimental. The term "moderation" applies to everything. Alcohol is just as addictive as weed at the hands of the wrong person. People ruin their lives and die every day due to weed, directly or indirectly (gateway to hardcore drugs).
Sorry, alcohol is both physically & mentally addictive & can ruin lives in many ways. Moderate drinking suposedly has some benefits but I dont think anybody drinks because of them. Its just a coincidence, people drink for the effect period. Suposedly pot has some medical perks too, but thats not why people smoke it either, as with alcohol people smoke pot for the effect. So, if we are compareing the two, and we should since one is legal & socially aceptable while the other is illegal but pretty much socially acepted, we need to look at what those effects are.

People can drink enough to cause alcohol poisining & death.
While its scientifically possible to OD on marijuana its not realistic to say people can smoke enough to cause THC poisining & death.
People can and do continue drinking after they cannot walk or speak clearly, then they can get in a car & kill someone.
You can smoke pot all day & still walk & talk, if you smoke too much you generally fall asleep or become lethargic. Not good I dont suppose but not dangerous either to the public at large.
People can become violent & beligerant after drinking but thats very rare among pot smokers.

Those are just a few reasons that alcohol is much more dangerous & worse for society than pot, theres more but any clear thinking person already knows the truth.

Quote:
Let's not drag alcohol into this because they are two different things. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but that's about all they have in common.
Actually its not even like apples & oranges. Pot is a naturally occuring plant that grows pretty much world wide. Alcohol is a manufactured intoxicating drug. Big difference. But that difference doesn't mean they shouldn't be compared when discussing the legality of marijuana.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,654,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thats absurd. Have you ever seen what crack or cocain does to people? Its one of the most addictive things we have found so far & people ruin their lives over it.
I'm surprised you haven't caught onto the retort

Quote:
Sorry, alcohol is both physically & mentally addictive & can ruin lives in many ways. Moderate drinking suposedly has some benefits but I dont think anybody drinks because of them. Its just a coincidence, people drink for the effect period. Suposedly pot has some medical perks too, but thats not why people smoke it either, as with alcohol people smoke pot for the effect. So, if we are compareing the two, and we should since one is legal & socially aceptable while the other is illegal but pretty much socially acepted, we need to look at what those effects are.
Weed can also be both physically and mentally addictive and can ruin many lives in many ways as well. I'm not saying that alcohol doesn't do that, but let's not try and say that smoking weed doesn't have any negative consequences. And people do drink moderately and not for the effect either (i.e.French people/High class eats).

Quote:
People can drink enough to cause alcohol poisining & death.
While its scientifically possible to OD on marijuana its not realistic to say people can smoke enough to cause THC poisining & death.
People can and do continue drinking after they cannot walk or speak clearly, then they can get in a car & kill someone.
You can smoke pot all day & still walk & talk, if you smoke too much you generally fall asleep or become lethargic. Not good I dont suppose but not dangerous either to the public at large.
People can become violent & beligerant after drinking but thats very rare among pot smokers.
People can also drink enough to knock out before hitting that limitation. People can also assign DDs to watch over them so they are taken care of when under the influence. The effects of weed are less dangerous than alcohol, but does it mean that it should be legalized? There really are not enough studies upon the effects of MJ. Just because it's the lesser evil of the two, does this mean that we should legalize it? Bad enough that we have cigs running about in society. Do we really want another smoke-type habit to be introduced into our world and to our kids?

Quote:
Those are just a few reasons that alcohol is much more dangerous & worse for society than pot, theres more but any clear thinking person already knows the truth.
Spare me the lame attempt at trying to belittle me. Any clear thinking person would know to look at all sides of the arguments rather than bring fallicious statements or personal attacks into the debate. It seems to me that those who are for or against MJ are dead set in their arguments and fail to look at all the facts.

Fact: MJ can ruin lives.
Fact: MJ doesn't ruin lives.

Fact: MJ is addictive.
Fact: MJ is not addictive.

And so on.

Quote:
Actually its not even like apples & oranges. Pot is a naturally occuring plant that grows pretty much world wide. Alcohol is a manufactured intoxicating drug. Big difference. But that difference doesn't mean they shouldn't be compared when discussing the legality of marijuana.
And why shouldn't we bring the "hardcore" drugs into discussion then when discussing the legality of MJ? There are drugs that are naturally occuring as well that brings pain into the world. Opium is natural and look what it does. By the way, real alcohol is not manufactured. It occurs naturally. Look it up, under the name "wine". Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they spiked weed with something extra.

@stanman13 Please prove it. And people with personal experiences say otherwise.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,300,221 times
Quote:

@stanman13 Please prove it. And people with personal experiences say otherwise.
You are the one making the unsupported claims, yet I notice you haven't offered anything at all by way of proof. Got anything supporting your claim that MJ is physically addicting? Anything at all? Scientifically, I mean, not just in the world according to NA/AA or Nancy Reagan.

Study says marijuana no gateway drug | Science Blog

New study debunks marijuana 'gateway theory' - CNN has yet to hear // Current (http://current.com/news/91902926_new-study-debunks-marijuana-gateway-theory-cnn-has-yet-to-hear.htm - broken link)

Marijuana a "Gateway" Drug? Scientists Call Theory Half-Baked - Health Blog - CBS News

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,481,390 times
Quote:
Weed can also be both physically and mentally addictive and can ruin many lives in many ways as well. I'm not saying that alcohol doesn't do that, but let's not try and say that smoking weed doesn't have any negative consequences. And people do drink moderately and not for the effect either (i.e.French people/High class eats).
Bull crap, there are no documented cases anywhere in the world where marijuana lead to a physical addiction.

Mental addiction occurs in about 2% of the entire population on the planet. More people are addicted to caffeine then are addicted to THC.

You should really stop believing the government propaganda. Even Nixon's study on marijuana, used to make harsher penalties indicated that there was little to no evidence that marijuana had adverse side effects on 95% of people, and that there were no physical addiction traits associated with its use.

I will be happy to post links from credible sources if you'd like. But I've done that on numerous threads on this subject, so far it hasn't changed the mind of people who like to believe they are always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates