Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:21 PM

8,354 posts, read 2,976,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
People should leave homogenous societies alone. They’re none of your business. You have no right to force “diversity” on them. Some people suggest diversity improves economies. So what? 3rd world cultures have the right to exist with the influx of hordes of first worlders immigrating to their countries to “improve” their economies. The Immigration Act of 1965 is the worst act to ever happen to the U.S.

Leave homogenous societies alone. Those societies should defend themselves from the crazed diversity click be any means.
“...right to exist *without the influx...”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 05:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Yours is a reasonable way to look at the issue. By “your way” , I mean “diversity is good” or “ diversity is bad”. Along with the practical ways that it plays out. 90% of people look at it with the same concepts in mind.

But I don’t care about any of that. I’m interested in the worship aspect. We all worship something, as Dylan sang. And in the end, our worship choices are all that matters.

Modern society worships Diversity. But it’s a false god. One with no clothes on.
Diversity is not a false god - but many of its worshipers ARE. But let's also be clear that Dylan was speaking to something broader (God, good, evil, money) than "diversity" which for most people is only a relatively small part of their lives and just an awareness which they either tend to support or not.

The only people who truly worship diversity are some HR people and corporate bigwigs whose earnings somehow rely upon a high enough diversity score - and they care about the score, not the actual diversity which is what I mean by "false worshipers".

Diversity is best in the background of a healthy society - that it must be forced into the forefront is a bad sign that people aren't doing very well on their own. Diversity is a means to an end but certainly not a bad means. In the past people were doing much worse during slavery and that was seen as natural. We've gotten beyond that and have many more steps to take.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
Quote:
People should leave homogenous societies alone. They’re none of your business. You have no right to force “diversity” on them. Some people suggest diversity improves economies. So what? 3rd world cultures have the right to exist with the influx of hordes of first worlders immigrating to their countries to “improve” their economies. The Immigration Act of 1965 is the worst act to ever happen to the U.S.

Leave homogenous societies alone. Those societies should defend themselves from the crazed diversity click be any means.
When was the U.S. EVER homogeneous? Maybe more so at the VERY beginning and that was mostly by color but not nationality or culture. Somehow (your family!) and we survived dozens of "influxes" over the centuries with immigration policy changing many times. Why are you only thinking of 1965 as though it were special? It was not the first nor the last so..."get over it" and you'll feel much better.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:49 AM

50,913 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Are you telling me to stop being so darned reasonable and shut up so you can holler hyperbole instead? lol? Sorry, trying to understand what "This is reasonable and most people look at it this way, but I don't care about that. Here's a very extreme statement. Focus on that."

What?

I'm saying that nobody needs anybody to "worship" Diversity so much as diverse people would like to be treated with exactly the consideration and basic human dignity and right to exist, as those of the most dominant group. You don't need to hoist anybody up on your shoulders and carry him, just quit trying to stomp him into the dirt. But it's played out time and again that when a minority group, or a group that has traditionally been afforded less power or autonomy or lower status, by society in general, says "You know what, we're people too and would like to be treated like it. We want the same rights." the dominant group has a tendency to see that as an attack. When your superiority is challenged, it does feel like something is being taken away from you, I guess.

I've never in my life been on board with the thinking that a lot of folks seem to have that there is one right, good, wholesome way to live and be, and that which is different is scary and threatening. I don't get it.

I guess in that sense, I "worship" diversity because a fully homogeneous society is anathema to my idea of happiness. People who want to enforce conformity, who feel best in a world of sameness and want to punish and stamp out anyone who doesn't comply, have been the enemies of my peace of mind for pretty much my whole life.
I can agree with one thing that has been stated in this thread: that the far left is sometimes too in love with diversity. There are far-lefters who do believe in -- for example -- countries without borders.

But it is just as true that the far right is too "in hate" with diversity. Keeping a nation "pure" is "ethnic cleaning junior". I was going to post a list of ethnic cleansing campaigns, but there are too many. Here's a rather thorough listing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sing_campaigns.

Why is it that some of these right-wing Americans think it is so great when it's Americans diversifying into other countries -- through expats, through American companies, through the American military -- but can't stand a little diversity in return?

And there's what is probably the most basic hopefully universal principle that some of these purists ignore: "Do unto others as you would have them no unto yourself". Not to mention American founding documents that declared that, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness". Sorry right-wingers -- that illegal picking your lettuce is your equal; it doesn't mean that he has the right to be here, and should be deported, but he is your equal. At least he is if you believe in our founding documents.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
When was the U.S. EVER homogeneous? Maybe more so at the VERY beginning and that was mostly by color but not nationality or culture. Somehow (your family!) and we survived dozens of "influxes" over the centuries with immigration policy changing many times. Why are you only thinking of 1965 as though it were special? It was not the first nor the last so..."get over it" and you'll feel much better.
In 1960 the U.S. was about 90% white. I liked it that way. YMMV. The 1965 Act and it’s results weren’t like any other by far. This should be obvious to most.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
In 1960 the U.S. was about 90% white. I liked it that way. YMMV. The 1965 Act and it’s results weren’t like any other by far. This should be obvious to most.
And who passed that law in 1965? An almost totally white congress. I guess it wasn't obvious to OUR ELECTED representatives.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And who passed that law in 1965? An almost totally white congress. I guess it wasn't obvious to OUR ELECTED representatives.
And Kennedy said it wouldn’t change the ethnic makeup of the U.S. Right. A largely white congress with a few traitors/liars. Similar to today. But today they don’t even enforce existing immigration law.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandedforlife View Post
I'm not sure why you make that presumption, but regardless, this isn't about you or me. There are plenty of other people here, and(as you pointed out earlier) posts are read by anyone who wishes to do so. As a life-long educator, why not take the opportunity to educate them?

I'm not trying to antagonize you or back you into a corner. We've been told for decades that "diversity is our greatest strength", yet a lot of people look around at how their nation and their communities have changed and they wonder how that can be. They genuinely want someone, anyone, to explain how diversity is good for them. I'm sure they'd like to hear your insight. I certainly would.
You're not trying to antagonize me?

Let's see now. Who said: "As I expected, just like a cockroach in the basement when the light comes on, you'll just skitter off, never to be seen again."

Old 12-10-2019, 08:21 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don’t want to hijack my own thread, because this is all moot.........but you DO know why Ted Kennedy and the Dems did that, I assume??

Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,993,181 times
What they mean by "diversity" is a diverse group by race, gender, religion, and age... Not diversity of thought they don't want to hear from those that have a difference POV other than current woke drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates