Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 12:14 PM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times

Advertisements

Fear of "the other" is nothing new. Again, dark skinned people are simply the bogeyman du jour. And it's as ugly today as it was 100, 200 years ago, when people railed against the influx of Germans, Irish, Italian, Jews and Chinese coming over to escape famine and poverty and seek a better life. Again, thank God our immigration policies prevailed despite the fear-mongering and hate, because my ancestors and the ancestors of 99% of those here were able to come here and prosper despite the prejudice and hate heaped upon them by narrow-minded people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You may not have noticed this but the country is made up of a wide array of "alien" cultures that get assimilated and incorporated into the fabric of American culture. It has been like that from the very beginning and will continue. The fact that some people think everything is hunky-dory right now as it is (or maybe in 1965) and that the precious "white" culture is suddenly now at risk if anyone else immigrates (especially brown or dark people) is hogwash. Well, suck it up, Buttercup. There is nothing static about American culture or any sort of divine right bestowed on white people to keep their precious pale complexion or (false) pristine culture.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I guess people conveniently forgot that the European settlers had to adopt "foreign" cultures in order to survive, since their clueless butts new nothing of this new hostile world that looked nothing like Europe.

America has never been homogenous. And while we're at it, Blacks didn't exactly ask to come to this country and Mexicans (mestizos) have long resided in the southwest. This "immigration problem" is nothing new, really. The borders used to be far more fluid and it was not uncommon for a family to own land on both sides of the Rio Grande.

Thank goodness I don't live my life in fear of nonsense.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
If you even bring up the subject of diversity, some people will instantly cry, "RACIST!!".

The idea of a racist is that one differentiates by race, then puts some people "higher" on the totem pole than others (with some being very low, indeed).
But here's the funny thing: read what I just wrote again. Is that not the very idea of "diversity"? To differentiate by race, then put some people higher on totem pole than others (i.e., "we need more people who are visible minorities").
Odd, isn't it......

Old 11-13-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
If you even bring up the subject of diversity, some people will instantly cry, "RACIST!!".

The idea of a racist is that one differentiates by race, then puts some people "higher" on the totem pole than others (with some being very low, indeed).
But here's the funny thing: read what I just wrote again. Is that not the very idea of "diversity"? To differentiate by race, then put some people higher on totem pole than others (i.e., "we need more people who are visible minorities").
Odd, isn't it......

No diversity does not mean putting things in a hierarchy. If I say I have a diverse portfolio, it doesn't mean some of my investments are inferior or superior than the others, it simply means I have money in many different types of investments. Racism is believing/acting on a belief that other races are inferior.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's relevant to the argument over whether America has been a "white" country throughout history. People act like Moses had it carved in tablets.
But what I'm telling you is Pre-Columbian America was considered several separate nations from America. Like it or not America was mostly a "white" majority country founded by the British in about 1607 with a percentage of blacks and mostly separate Indians until polices were changed starting mostly between the 1940s and especially 1965. Between the origin and about 1970 it was ~85% "white".

Again, that history really doesn't matter so much to what current immigration policy is or that it can't be changed.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But what I'm telling you is Pre-Columbian America was considered several separate nations from America. Like it or not America was mostly a "white" majority country founded by the British in about 1607 with a percentage of blacks and mostly separate Indians until polices were changed starting mostly between the 1940s and especially 1965. Between the origin and the about 1970 it was ~85% "white".

Again, that history really doesn't matter so much to what current immigration policy is or that it can't be changed.

People lived here before 1607 though. It might not have been called America, but it was not the Brits land to take.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times
Quote:
People lived here before 1607 though. It might not have been called America, but it was not the Brits land to take.
But it was at the time anyone's land to take. That was the rules the world the Indians, the Brits and everyone else were operating under the time. Britain had been invade several times in its history before then. Today you can hate the game but don't hate the players or just one team.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
Quote:
No diversity does not mean putting things in a hierarchy. If I say I have a diverse portfolio, it doesn't mean some of my investments are inferior or superior than the others, it simply means I have money in many different types of investments. Racism is believing/acting on a belief that other races are inferior.
Come on, we are talking about diversity and multiculturalism, as a social, governmental and cultural movement.
How would you like it if every time you used the word "charger", every one around you started to talk only about the muscle car?? (Both usages are technically correct).
That's what you are going here (arguing in bad faith).

Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 PM

258 posts, read 348,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I will try to be as PC as possible. But there is no skirting around the widespread focus on diversity. Many people (including important leaders) push diversity and multiculturalism. This plainly means, by definition, that the darker that the overall populace becomes, the better. (Having a solely-white populace is not diverse; ipso facto, becoming more diverse means having other colors as well).

That's because your entire premise is wrong. You're making a giant leap from multiculturalism to skin color. Multiculturalism has nothing to do with skin color. Multiculturalism and diversity is simply about accepting that America is a land of immigrants and immigrants come from a variety of different countries and cultures, they speak a variety of languages, cook a variety of foods, have different mannerisms.

And they also happen to look different. Not just in skin color but also facial features. Some "white" cultures may be taller, some may be shorter, some may have sharp features, some may not.

The goal is not to "make America darker" but to make Americans more accepting of other people who are different from them.

Why is this so hard to understand? And in what way is this "logically flawed" or "silly" as you put it in your subject line??

To clarify, you might find a white person and a brown person who are more similar in their values and thinking than two brown people or two white people. This has nothing to do with skin color.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But it was at the time anyone's land to take. That was the rules the world the Indians, the Brits and everyone else were operating under the time. Britain had been invade several times in its history before then. Today you can hate the game but don't hate the players or just one team.
Who said it was the native Americans rules? You are quite literally white-washing what we did to them by interpreting history in a way that suits what you want it to be. Why did we famously buy Manhattan if it was all just up for grabs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates