Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
SEOWriter imagines:

"Animals don't torture their food. Humans do."

Apparently SEOWriter has never seen a cat with a mouse or a bird.
Lmao to that! Cats are nasty that way. When I was a kid, we had barn cats. I was outside one day popping soda cans with my pellet gun, and one of the cats hanging with me snagged a gopher from a hole behind me. Doing his job. He batted the thing around, clawing and biting just enough to hurt, but not kill. On an impulse, I zapped the gopher with my pellet gun. The car was pizzed! He was far from done with the vermin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 01:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Well, eating dog isn't commonplace in China - though it happens still, in rural areas, and as pet ownership becomes more and more widespread (with more affluent urbanites), one will see canine cuisine even less.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:13 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
A man once told me a steak from horse meat was delicious. I think he was from Norway.
It is. So is Camel, and Zebra for that matter. There are quite a few specialty meat shops and burger joints opening across the U.S. now. I don't think we'll see cat or dog on a local menu any time soon.

Besides the coasts most of the U.S. is still open land that could be fitted to grow food or livestock. Depending on the State you live in there is much Public land still available. Most of it is in the western side of the United States.

Though the percentages of people eating meat go ever so slightly down the increases in the population mean more people than ever are meat eaters. The same goes for people, like me, that hunt for their own food.

Many carnivores kill and torture without eating it. Killer Whales, Mink, cats, dogs, all kinds of critters.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:19 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Ummmm NO

Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
It's just meat. Will it become common? Unlikely. Will it catch on? Possibly and hopefully.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:41 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
PETA came out with a statement supporting the slaughter of horses, once again, in the US for human consumption.

Lifting horse slaughter ban: Why PETA says it's a good idea - CSMonitor.com

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...slaughter.html

PETA Explains Why it Backs Lifting of Horse Slaughter Ban in U.S.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:25 PM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
It will never be necessary. I hear the government is already working on an inexpensive, nutritious and protein-rich meal called Soylent Green.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 AM

19 posts, read 13,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
1. Farmland is not disappearing at an alarming rate.

2. I don't see cats and or dogs becoming commonplace in the U.S.
Are you kidding me? The pet industry has been growing by leaps and bounds...it is recession proof. People will spend money on their pets even during the worst economy. I don't know the exact statistics but I do know that most households have some sort of pet--either a dog or cat.

Also, farmland is disappearing. Factory farms owned by corporations are here, but the small farm is becoming a thing of the past.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lmao to that! Cats are nasty that way. When I was a kid, we had barn cats. I was outside one day popping soda cans with my pellet gun, and one of the cats hanging with me snagged a gopher from a hole behind me. Doing his job. He batted the thing around, clawing and biting just enough to hurt, but not kill. On an impulse, I zapped the gopher with my pellet gun. The car was pizzed! He was far from done with the vermin.
Yes, I've seen that. But the prey is not tortured for a days or months or forced to live an unnatural life beore being led to slaughter. That's the difference. The prey that animals kill get to live a natural life before being killed.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's just meat. Will it become common? Unlikely. Will it catch on? Possibly and hopefully.
What do you mean it's just meat. Then, it follows that you are a living, breathing, hot dog on legs.
Meat once had a face, and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates