Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:30 AM

5,855 posts, read 4,190,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Nice to see the Great Debate police are vigilant.

My answer? Lord no! We can't stomach equine slaughter for anyone's consumption.

I did read that China raises St. Bernards for food. That makes me sad. Dogs have long been faithful, loyal, protective members of the family. They're so much smarter than livestock. Except pigs. They're right up there with dolphins. And many humans.

Of course, the anti-slaughter bunch are fierce defenders of abortion.
1. Intelligence is irrelevant from a moral importance standpoint. What matters is capacity for conscious experience. There are humans who have IQs that are literally three times higher than other humans. Are their lives three times as important from a moral standpoint? Livestock certainly have conscious experiences; any line drawn that separates dogs from cows is either entirely arbitrary or incredibly human-centric.

2. There are multiple important moral differences between slaughtering adult animals for food and killing an unborn fetus. I'm not going to turn this into an abortion thread, but being pro-life doesn't follow from being opposed to meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Hydroponics may serve us well in the near future.
The Saint Bernard story makes me said as well, such sweet,albeit slobbery dogs.
I believe China will eat just about anything. But cheese.
How is raising St. Bernards for food any worse than raising pigs or cows for food? Because St. Bernards relate to humans in a different way? That is blatant speciesism. The moral value of an organism isn't determined by how well it relates to humans. It is determined by its capacity to undergo conscious experiences, such as feeling pain.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:59 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,735,121 times
Maybe this has been said but I am too lazy to read the entire thread.

I think if a situation ever got dire people would resort to dogs and cats. I mean people resorted to eating each other on a few notable occasions. That said the situation would have to be extremely dire. People consider dogs and cats only a step below humans so it would have to be so bad the choice was either eating them or each other.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
How is raising St. Bernards for food any worse than raising pigs or cows for food? Because St. Bernards relate to humans in a different way? That is blatant speciesism. The moral value of an organism isn't determined by how well it relates to humans. It is determined by its capacity to undergo conscious experiences, such as feeling pain.
I suppose because I love dogs and cats (I have loved my pets in almost the same way as I have loved humans), I wouldn't do that.

It's just considered something that civilized people don't do.

I feel almost the same way about cows and pigs.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I suppose because I love dogs and cats (I have loved my pets in almost the same way as I have loved humans), I wouldn't do that.

It's just considered something that civilized people don't do.

I feel almost the same way about cows and pigs.
To point out the obvious: If eating dogs and cats is something "civilized" people don't do, then it is certainly true that civilized people don't eat cows, pigs, chickens, fish, etc. as there is no important moral distinction between those animals and dogs and cats.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:42 PM

23,567 posts, read 24,096,042 times
I hope not. They are our beloved pets and are not raised for consumption.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:55 PM

19 posts, read 13,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
First of all, the farmland disappearing at an alarming rate is a man-created problem. Tons of farmland in America is devoted to soybeans and corn, instead of rotation of different vegetable crops. Pesticide overdoses and a lack of crop diversity is behind much of the problem --as well as GMO crops.

Secondly, what makes you think that people have to eat meat? Dogs have to be fed, don't they? Why not just go straight to the source and feed people the food that you would be feeding the dogs that you want to fatten up? I'd rather see people eat crickets in the form of protein bars and vegetables grown without soil. People would be healthier if they didn't eat meat.

Also, if they do eat dogs, I hope to God they don't boil them alive or torture them before killing them, like the people in China do.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
This.

Actually, I think meat eating is on the decline and people are looking for other things to eat, rather than sentient creatures.

I think that people will look back on meat eating as barbaric.
Is nature barbaric? Animals eat other sentient animals everyday.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is nature barbaric? Animals eat other sentient animals everyday.
Yes, nature is barbaric. More importantly, merely because something happens in nature doesn't mean it is moral for humans to do. In nature, males routinely kill or injure sexual predators (other males). That doesn't mean it would be okay for me to go to a bar and shoot another man who talks to a woman I am interested in. In many species, males will kill the offspring of rival males; I doubt you think it would be acceptable for a man to go to a hospital and murder all of the babies that were not his own. Rape is prevalent in natural world. That doesn't mean rape isn't immoral for humans.

My point is that nature is full of examples of behaviors that would be immoral for humans to do. Animals are not capable of moral reasoning, thus they should not be expected to behave morally. Humans are capable of such reasoning, and that ability places a special burden on us to consider the consequences of suffering and pleasure that come from our actions.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,090,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
As for the OP's contention that hunters can't find land to hunt to "feed their families" is pure, unadulterated, f'ng nonsense.
Yep. I can step out on my porch and choose from deer, duck, goose, turkey, and occasionally moose and bear.

Thousands of acres of [former] farmland revert back to forest here in ME.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know of a couple of stores where you can get almost any animal you want wrapped up in a brown paper package. If it is made of meat, they will sell it to you. (Some items are available only to 'special' customers.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates