Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,530,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
My point is that nature is full of examples of behaviors that would be immoral for humans to do. Animals are not capable of moral reasoning, thus they should not be expected to behave morally. Humans are capable of such reasoning, and that ability places a special burden on us to consider the consequences of suffering and pleasure that come from our actions.
True, but there is no such thing as a uniform morality among humans. Many humans feel eating meat is acceptable with their chosen morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,606,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
To point out the obvious: If eating dogs and cats is something "civilized" people don't do, then it is certainly true that civilized people don't eat cows, pigs, chickens, fish, etc. as there is no important moral distinction between those animals and dogs and cats.
A moral distinction is in the eye of the beholder.

To some, there is a great deal of moral distinction. To some, there is not.

For instance, humans are animals. To some there is a moral distinction between humans and other animals. To some there is not.

Fish are not "animals," scientifically speaking. They also don't have a nervous system. So fish really are different from cows, pigs, etc. Scientifically speaking.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,780,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And rabbits. Up until rather recently (I consider the mid-20th century "rather recent" history), rabbits were more commonly eaten than chicken, being cheaper on the economic meat chain than chicken. When most of the population was still rural (all the way up to the mid-20th century), rabbits were also available free of charge and without the cost of raising them yourself.

When Herbert Hoover promised "a chicken in every pot," the then-understood message was "you will have enough money to skip eating rabbit."
Rabbits are delicious! There is a restaurant I visit occasionally that has hasenpfeffer on the menu.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,383,631 times
Now that we have people thinking the plant plant mesquite is a great BBQ wood, I suggest we now recommend coyote meat as a delicacy to be cooked on it?

BTW bpollen, fish are indeed animals or at least they were when I was in school during the Triassic. Possibly you meant fish are not mammals which are the animals people normally feel a greater sense of objection to eating?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,358,248 times
Anyone who would like to eat the dogs in my neighborhood is certainly welcome to do so.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:16 PM

569 posts, read 553,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
I can't believe you come up with this idea.

Check the people who live in the Chinatown. They forget the veggies on the grounds that are not running around.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,260,294 times
It's legal to eat dogs at baseball games. You get a choice of stuff to put on them: mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, cheese, chili.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,666,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Fish are not "animals," scientifically speaking. They also don't have a nervous system. So fish really are different from cows, pigs, etc. Scientifically speaking.
WHAT????? Fish certainly belong to the animal kingdom, scientifically fish are animals. Fish most certainly have nervous systems as well.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,666,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
True, but there is no such thing as a uniform morality among humans. Many humans feel eating meat is acceptable with their chosen morality.
Sure, but the question isn't whether their morality is "correct" but whether it is rational and logically consistent.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:41 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,475,961 times
I should hope it does. Eating a cat or dog is no morally different than eating a cow or chicken. Plus, it would send the dog and cat fanatics around the bend, so I would get enjoyment from watching the freakout even if I couldn't actually try the new meats (wife would divorce me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates