Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I always find it amusing when people such as yourself wish to lump all sorts of people together with name calling just because you think differently than they do.

While opposition to homosexual and interracial relationships are too very different things, how about trying to understand what some of the reasons might be rather than a liberal knee jerk reaction.

I suspect many parents of any race who oppose interracial relationships for their kids fear it could lead to pregnancy/marriage. That will mean their grandkids will be of a different race, and may wind up being raised with different cultural values, religion, etc.
They also know life will be harder on their kids and future grandkids, so why would any parent want that.
Plain and simple, you are trying to wrap bigotry in a pretty package and sell it as a respectable, even rational, argument. It's not. It's as much bigotry as somebody making racial slurs or gay jokes.

Why is it going to be somehow "harder" for mixed race children these days, especially since there are so many, including the POTUS? DNA analysis has shown that most black people in the US already are mixed race -- have some European ancestry -- even if they look "all black", so what's the issue here? I guess what you mean is that the grands would have a "harder" time because of how white bigots continue to treat darker skinned people like something nasty they stepped in if they get the opportunity.

As for different cultural values, religion, etc, what has that to do with being mixed race? Some barely literate white dude from some rural Southern backwater is probably going to have a whole lot more in common with some barely literate black dude from some rural Southern backwater than either of them is going to have with the some guy, white or black or mixed, from Long Island or suburban LA, heading to Harvard or Stanford.

Quote:
The similarity to homosexuals has at least one common thread in that no parent is going to want their kid to turn out homosexual. The obvious reason is no future offspring. They also know life will be tougher on them as a result.

From there it should not be too hard to extrapolate why society shuns such behavior and hopes that disapproval might stigmatize it enough to curb it. Granted that applies to interracial more than homo because some people are likely born homosexual.

There of course could be other reasons as well. So just because it is not PC to say so, people do have their reasons and cannot just be all lumped together as bigots if you wish to really understand their reason/s.

`
"Likely born homosexual"? Really? I think that says it all about where you're coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Why people care about what two consenting adults do ?
Honestly they don't care.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Quote:
I always find it amusing when people such as yourself wish to lump all sorts of people together with name calling just because you think differently than they do.

While opposition to homosexual and interracial relationships are too very different things, how about trying to understand what some of the reasons might be rather than a liberal knee jerk reaction.

I suspect many parents of any race who oppose interracial relationships for their kids fear it could lead to pregnancy/marriage. That will mean their grandkids will be of a different race, and may wind up being raised with different cultural values, religion, etc.
They also know life will be harder on their kids and future grandkids, so why would any parent want that.

The similarity to homosexuals has at least one common thread in that no parent is going to want their kid to turn out homosexual. The obvious reason is no future offspring. They also know life will be tougher on them as a result.

From there it should not be too hard to extrapolate why society shuns such behavior and hopes that disapproval might stigmatize it enough to curb it. Granted that applies to interracial more than homo because some people are likely born homosexual.

There of course could be other reasons as well. So just because it is not PC to say so, people do have their reasons and cannot just be all lumped together as bigots if you wish to really understand their reason/s.

`
Oh, so they're not bigots, but irrational and overbearing control freaks? Got it.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
I notice many more conservative types who obsess about it. See it on YouTube for example, a gay celebrity and these people leave comments about how so and so is gay and what not, on many videos. I wonder if they hate gays, who watch the videos of that gay person?

Same with interracial. Why watch it?

Also they make something out of NOTHING! When Michael Strahan was chosen to be Kelly Ripa's cohost on that morning show, one article I read had of people saying it was all a pc plot, to have a black man with a white woman. Or that is what the end of the white race, lol.

I am not making this up, they were truly bothered by the fact that a black man and white woman were hosting a show together.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 PM

31,073 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Honestly they don't care.
No kidding What I see more of is the Media looking high and low to find the very small percentage of people who actually give a hoot. It's like finding the last 2 members of the KKK that are left in this country and exclaiming "Look bigots everywhere". Makes more sensationalistic news.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:19 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:

Either because they are bigoted and ignorant or because they take certain passages from the bible incorrectly and out of context.

Usually it's a combination of both, in my experience.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:50 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
I think nezlie was pretty accurate in his/her statements. I also think some people need to have a "cause" to fight for (or against). Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable. It's kind of like a used car lot salesman saying "We're not happy until you're not happy."

I think the OP's short question(s) were pretty good. Just a simple question. Where people here have taken the question is a little confusing. Lots of analyzing, some judging, and no doubt there are lots of insults to come.

I think most people really don't care. There are a very vocal minority who want to fight the good fight, so to speak, and will quickly move on to the next cause of the month when it pops up. We see it here time and time again. Minimum wage, biased tests, gay marriage, and so on. I don't think interracial relationships are a big deal. You want to date or marry outside of your race, that's fine. You want to wed someone of the same sex, again, that's fine. I think a lot of people have a problem with the term "marriage" being used for gay couples. Part of me believes that, the other says whatever.

Worry not, the next cause is right around the bend. We've got a pretty short attention span here in the US. I've got a table in my garage.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,317,005 times
I honestly think it's only about 2% of the population give a hoot abut these issues.

But.

They are a very bored and very LOUD 2%.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:48 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,254 times
because they seceretly want to be in a gay relationship with a person of the opposite color.

I do find it funny that the ugliest str8 people tend to be worried the most some gay guy is going to hit on them.they honestly think because wemon find them attractive that a gay guy would. whatever! lol

Old 04-22-2015, 01:56 PM

950 posts, read 924,870 times
Quote:

I couldn't care less if......... two people of the same sex shack up
......................................3 people shack up
......................................a grand ma and grandson shack up

......................................a man and his female dog shack up

However, when any of the above flock to internet sites and proclaim there is nothing sinful in doing so , I'll give them the debate they are searching for.

Also, when teachers try to indoctrinate kids by telling them there is nothing wrong with any of the above, I will also speak up.

I couldn't care less what I get labeled by any of the above people.

Consider the source !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates