Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,055,985 times

Advertisements

My ten year old son has recently fallen in love with biscuits.

Trouble is, I cannot make them to save my life. I end up with something resembling dog treats every time.

Drop biscuits I can do. Cookies I can do. Pretzels, flat bread, even fry bread I can do fairly well.

But rolled biscuits, forget it. I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong (perhaps everything).

Does anyone have any biscuit-making secrets to share?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for store-bought biscuits to tide us through in the meantime? We're currently pretty satisfied with the Grands, Southern Style, by Pillsbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Seriously- Get the Better homes and Garden cook book. The one with the Red and White checkered table cloth on the cover. Flip to the biscuit page and follow the directions. My teenage daughters make them just about every weekend for Saturday Breakfast.

One of the big secrets is not over working the dough. The butter also needs to be very cold when you work it in with a pastry cutter.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,937,018 times
I had the same issue. Pioneer buttermilk baking mix is about the best I can do to replicate a homemade biscuit. It's actually pretty good. One trick I learned was that after rolling out the dough, fold it over onto itself - fold in half and then in half again. The air trapped between the layers makes it flakier.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
... The butter also needs to be very cold when you work it in with a pastry cutter.
Presto! This might be my prob. I always think that when you bake all the ingredients need to be the same temp. I actually remember now someone telling me this is why my pie shells never turn out as well... cold dang butter.

Thank you!

P.S. I had that cookbook, but donated it. I had the Joy of Cooking, too, but didn't care for it. Julia Child? Too French. I'm a James Beard devotee. Love him! I also really love Alice Waters. Mr. Beard, too, is from my beloved Oregon, so he's my homie.

And he liked biscuits, too.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Presto! This might be my prob. I always think that when you bake all the ingredients need to be the same temp. I actually remember now someone telling me this is why my pie shells never turn out as well... cold dang butter.

Thank you!

P.S. I had that cookbook, but donated it. I had the Joy of Cooking, too, but didn't care for it. Julia Child? Too French. I'm a James Beard devotee. Love him! I also really love Alice Waters. Mr. Beard, too, is from my beloved Oregon, so he's my homie.

And he liked biscuits, too.
Never overwork your pastry dough and always use cold butter and ICE cold water when needed.

In my 35 years of cooking cuisines from all over the world the BH&G cookbook is the best for great American Style cooking. If you get the Anniversary edition it has recipes from each decade starting in the 1930's going forward. Great old recipes that I remember my Grandmother making but cant find anymore. Remember Green Goddess Dressing? How about cherry winks or pfeffernuesse.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
I love those cookbooks. When my former MIL passed away I inherited her 1950s and 1960s editions in pristine condition. She rarely cooked and there wasn't a spot on them. My most-loved cookbooks have blobs of this and that on the covers and pages.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,380,501 times
I bake breads alot. Here is one of my favorite websites: Breadworld

Check out the resource center at that site for help.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times
I make biscuits from scratch whenever I can. I prefer using cold lard rather than butter though.......

Now that I am older and there are only two of us in the house, I frequently buy the packages of frozen biscuits that are ready to bake. I can bake 2 or 3 in the toaster oven in a few minutes and I don't heat up the kitchen. When we have guests I can do a cookie sheet full while making sausage gravy and scrambled eggs. They aren't as good as mine, but they beat the hell out of pillsbury or grands.......

Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
... but they beat the hell out of pillsbury or grands.......
Grands are made by Pillsbury and it's the frozen ones I've often bought, in the bags that you just take as many out as you want to bake and bake them. But I've also bought the Pillsbury Grands in the refridgerator case in the tubes as well. Both the frozen and refridgerated kind were the "Southern Style" variety. Personally we prefer the taste of the refridgerator ones, the frozen ones have that frozen taste to them and aren't as fluffy.

What brand are your frozen biscuits? I'd like to try them if we have them where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink