Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:44 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,122,404 times

Advertisements

Last I checked Pioneer Baking Mix and Bisquick had trans fats in them. You'd be better off making biscuits from scratch.

Admittedly, I like frozen biscuits. Living solo, it's easier to pull out one biscuit to heat up than make a whole batch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,770,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Last I checked Pioneer Baking Mix and Bisquick had trans fats in them. You'd be better off making biscuits from scratch.

Admittedly, I like frozen biscuits. Living solo, it's easier to pull out one biscuit to heat up than make a whole batch.
The sour cream in and butter in the recipe have trans fats too. Oh well, for the once in a blue moon that I actually make that recipe, I'll live on the edge and take my chances.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post

If you make your biscuits with butter, you'll still have the trans fats. I did hear someone say that unhydrogenated Lard has no trans fats. ?? I don't know where to even find lard, but it would be interesting to try to find some to taste the difference.

I looked at a bag of frozen biscuits today, and it had 8 g of trans fats. A friend told me that Trader Joe's has good frozen biscuits that also have 0 trans fats, but that the instructions on the package are totally wrong. The first time she tried them they were horrible. She took the remainder of the package back to the store and they gave her a free new package and gave her the correct cooking directions. I'm tempted to try them, even though we know how to make ours now, finally.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times
If you put the drop biscuits close together and pat them down, they are almost like the formed biscuits.

Recipe: 2 cups self-rising flour, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup mayonnaise
Stir together and drop into a 9 by 13 cassrole dish and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. You can vary this temperature and time as you wish. You can brush with butter and brown when they are almost done if you want. I don't need all that extra fat.

I heap the measuring cups up a little on the flour and have a thicker dough. Sometimes I butter my hands and form into biscuits.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,811,138 times
Where is this coming from that real butter is hydrogenated? It's not--it's saturated fat and has 0 gms of transfats. Store bought lard is hydrogenated, so I've made my own. Interesting process. I got a huge chunk of pig fat from an old fashioned butcher (took a good look at it so I'd know what my own fat looks like, lol--the aversion therapy didn't work tho). Put it in a big stock pot and boiled away until all the bits of fat rose to the top and turned brown. I strained it really good and had the best lard ever and it made wonderful biscuits and pie crusts. My kitchen smelled like g-ma's cooking for days and the cracklins were so good. I put some out for some city friends and they treated them like they were kyptonite, but oh my. I just don't think that fat is the demon we've made it out to be these last 30 years. Think about this--after they started demonizing it, did we all collectively get fatter or thinner? I druther skip the soda and eat the biscuits.

Haggardhouseelf: I wondered, what did you do with your biscuits that made the difference? What technique helped you most?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,688,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Where is this coming from that real butter is hydrogenated? It's not--it's saturated fat and has 0 gms of transfats. Store bought lard is hydrogenated, so I've made my own. Interesting process. I got a huge chunk of pig fat from an old fashioned butcher (took a good look at it so I'd know what my own fat looks like, lol--the aversion therapy didn't work tho). Put it in a big stock pot and boiled away until all the bits of fat rose to the top and turned brown. I strained it really good and had the best lard ever and it made wonderful biscuits and pie crusts. My kitchen smelled like g-ma's cooking for days and the cracklins were so good. I put some out for some city friends and they treated them like they were kyptonite, but oh my. I just don't think that fat is the demon we've made it out to be these last 30 years. Think about this--after they started demonizing it, did we all collectively get fatter or thinner? I druther skip the soda and eat the biscuits.

Haggardhouseelf: I wondered, what did you do with your biscuits that made the difference? What technique helped you most?
I remember as a kid in the 1980's there was a massive panic over fats and things like eggs. And also a big switch to hydrogenated fats like Crisco. Now we as a country are as fat and as unhealthy as ever. Hmmm.... Also these panic attacks brought on by doctors and other experts facilitated by the drive by media just goes to show, they might know something but they are not God and certainly don't have the final word.

Basically my philosophy(and I am not perfect but I don't eat HFCS or hydrogenated fats) is that eat whatever the earth provides. If man artificially created it, avoid. I'll stick to my biscuits with half and half and butter.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:06 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
stepka - it was keeping everything cold that made all the difference! DON'T use room temp butter when you make your biscuits.

I'm using this recipe. It's wonderful, and a bit healthier than the traditional biscuits, too. They did them like drop biscuits, but I make them like you do rolled and they turn out fine. The boy is happy!

And I totally thought butter had trans fats. I feel even better now!!

I want to make these next:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink