Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 01:25 PM

62,880 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I think we need to actually pinpoint what it is we're trying to solve. Is it just the fact that people are crossing the Mexican border? Of the 11M undocumented people in the US, 40% are from countries other than Mexico so a highly expensive border wall is only fixing 60% of the problem...and that's not a guaranteed fix.

- If we're worried about the drugs, legalize and tax them. It removes the profit and associated violence from smuggling.
- If you're worried about crime, only 3% of undocumented people have committed felonies vs 6% of the US population in general, so that seems like a non-issue.

It just seems like wasted energy and money to keep people out. Figure out a comprehensive policy that allows them to stay. We should be focusing on so many other issues with the US right now, but instead we're talking about how our military should just shoot people they think are immigrants....I'm not sure why you would want to live in a country that would even consider this.

Last I read, those from Mexico and other Latino countries make up the bulk of illegal aliens in our country which is 80%. A good number of them are border jumpers. I posted a couple of links proving how the good walls are very effective in deterring them. The wall isn't expensive when you consider that illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year.

When you consider that there are 11 million illegal aliens in our country (or at least that's what we are told) vs over 300 million Americans and legal immigrants percentage wise to their numbers I would say the outcome is very different. Doesn't matter, people in our country illegally committing crimes is unacceptable and something we shouldn't have to deal with. How many haven't even been caught yet committing felony ID theft or tax evasion? To me the largest problem is what they cost us in taxes, resources and jobs.

We have annual quotas for legal immigration for good reasons. We cannot allow every poor and needy person to come here. A nation without borders ceases to be one. Illegal immigration is one of the more pressing issues in this country. It shouldn't be down played or ignored for other issues. I'm not for our military shooting illegal aliens and they aren't plain ole immigrants. The point is that we must secure our border with a wall and remove all of the incentives for people to come here without following the legal process.

Last edited by Oldglory; 04-14-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 01:28 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This isn't a right VS left thing to me and I tend to lean more left then I do right but I still believe that BOTH parties are just as corrupt as the other is.

With that said I do understand why people want to flee a country where they are starving and can't make a decent living. And again if you don't come into this or any other country legally then you have to leave.
You're right. It isn't really a left versus right issue. And if anyone needs proof of that...did Ronald Reagan fix the problem? No. Did George Bush I fix the problem? no. Did George Bush II fix the problem? No.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're the only one who cares about that point.

On point: E-verify doesn't impose criminal sanction with the onus on the employer.
This one measure will solve most of the problem.

When one party refuses to implement e-verify in every work place I would think that is a good point to make why it hasn't passed. I would like to see a link where employers who use e-verify and have bypassed it purposely and knowingly that haven't been punished for doing so.

I do know there has been a few cases lately where employers were punished for hiring illegal aliens. If you need links I will gladly provide them to you. But this topic is about whether or not we think securing our border should be by using the National Guard, the Military or the Wall. I vote for the wall.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Last I read, those from Mexico and other Latino countries make up the bulk of illegal aliens in our country which is 80%. A good number of them are border jumpers. I posted a couple of links proving how the good walls are very effective in deterring them. The wall isn't expensive when you consider that illegal aliens cost us over $100 billion a year.

When you consider that there are 11 million illegal aliens in our country (or at least that's what we are told) vs over 300 million Americans and legal immigrants percentage wise to their numbers I would say the outcome is very different. Doesn't matter, people in our country illegally committing crimes is unacceptable and something we shouldn't have to deal with. How many haven't even been caught yet committing felony ID theft or tax evasion? To me the largest problem is what they cost us in taxes, resources and jobs.

We have annual quotas for legal immigration for good reasons. We cannot allow every poor and needy person to come here. A nation without borders ceases to be one. Illegal immigration is one of the more pressing issues in this country. It shouldn't be down played or ignored for other issues. I'm not for our military shooting illegal aliens and they aren't plain ole immigrants. The point is that we must secure our border with a wall and remove all of the incentives for people to come here without following the legal process.
The standard OG post lying yet again about the cost of illegal aliens. For any who want the truth just go to the Cato Institute and see how the 100 billion lie is created.

When all is said and done there is one available solution that will, in the end, prevail. We will legalize the vast majority of the illegal aliens.

That is practically the only way to reduce the problem to something within the reach of the assets we are willing to use for the purpose.

At this point in time the Mexican illegal contingent is down around a million people. The population of illegals is being maintained by over stayers. So the wall impacts only a portion of the problem.

The antis have not a clue how to fix the over stayers. That is why they concentrate on the wall and the Hispanics.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:26 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
4 Ways to End The Illegal Immigration Crisis

If it were up to me, the first thing I would do is fund contractors to complete the wall between Mexico and the United States. Because you can't manage what you can't control. And immigration shoudl defintely be well and tightly controlled by the United States.

The second thing I would do is use the National Guard as a huge buffer for the border agents we currently have, because the number of border agents we have now simply cannot keep up with the new influx of illegal immigrants. They need help now.

Once the wall is complete, I would wind down using the National Guard and fund the required number of border agents that would be needed to properly control what is effectively now an open border.
The idea of a wall and mobilizing the National Guard has to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

Want to stop illegal immigration? Holy smokes. It's incredibly easy.

1) Throw anyone who knowingly hires illegals in jail.

2) Create a guest worker program for those industries with temporary, seasonal demand such as agriculture. Half the pay is put into an escrow account payable upon the worker's return to his or her home country.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The idea of a wall and mobilizing the National Guard has to be one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

Want to stop illegal immigration? Holy smokes. It's incredibly easy.

1) Throw anyone who knowingly hires illegals in jail.

2) Create a guest worker program for those industries with temporary, seasonal demand such as agriculture. Half the pay is put into an escrow account payable upon the worker's return to his or her home country.

The wall isn't a stupid idea. It was approved by congress in 2006 and the sections that have been built already have been very effective in deterring illegal entry. As I said, they aren't all here looking for work so by simply implementing e-verify (of which I am in favor of) is not the total solution, thus the wall.

We already have several guest worker programs. Most illegal aliens are doing jobs that Americans have always done for a fair wage. They aren't seasonal jobs they are construction, hospitality, restaurant and landscaping jobs, etc. We already have unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign ag workers.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanip View Post
I think we should open up the border, help those Mexicans who want to come here, become citizens. They are a proud, mighty people, and we should embrace them.

We open our arms to the world, touting the benefits of American Democracy, and when people take us up on the offer, the white supremacists among us want to reject those who are not white.
Yes, along with the wonderful Mexican people, there might be some people that are not so wonderful, from myriad other countries, that have come through Mexico, looking to destroy America.

Yes, allow the people who have never had legal problems, and have worked diligently, to safeguard their families, remain, however, any one with a drug problem, selling, using it ......out, and back to their country.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Yes, along with the wonderful Mexican people, there might be some people that are not so wonderful, from myriad other countries, that have come through Mexico, looking to destroy America.

Yes, allow the people who have never had legal problems, and have worked diligently, to safeguard their families, remain, however, any one with a drug problem, selling, using it ......out, and back to their country.

Even the FBI Director has said that those from known terrorist countries have sneaked right in with illegal aliens and disappeared into our country.

I have to disagree with you about allowing any illegal aliens to remain here though. Americans need their jobs back and it's not fair to immigrants who followed the legal process to come here. It also would negate our sane annual quotas for legal immigration. Many illegal aliens have used fake or stolen SS numbers to work here and that is a felony. I want American families safeguarded. Since the topic is about how do we secure our border I know that the good walls are a huge deterrant and we should build the 700 mile long one that congress already approved back in 2006.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,517 times
Illegal aliens are not the crisis that will ruin us. We have much bigger issues to deal with than a few foreigners hanging around without proper authority.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Illegal aliens are not the crisis that will ruin us. We have much bigger issues to deal with than a few foreigners hanging around without proper authority.

I disagree. Illegal aliens cost us in many ways. So not to repeat myself I believe I already denoted how they do under another post. 11+ million illegal aliens in our country is far more than a few. We need the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates