Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times

Advertisements

The Black community does not respect marriage, because culturally, this has been the way it is for generations. The sad part of it is that a father is a very important factor in the life of any child, but more so for a male one, because the identity of the child is fused through the father, and will determine what he becomes, later in life.

This children grow up with single mothers, who expose them to several boyfriends, and this confuses the child.
One has only to visit one of the ghettos in a big city to see the devastation that this has created. Most of these children have no value system, no motivation, no guidance, and no discipline. Which are the most fundamental issues in raising a child. By age 16, all they have learned is how to point a gun at someone's head. Of course, not every child has this fate, but a good 90 percent of them do, and most wind up in the penitentiary, before the age of 20.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
The Black community does not respect marriage, because culturally, this has been the way it is for generations. The sad part of it is that a father is a very important factor in the life of any child, but more so for a male one, because the identity of the child is fused through the father, and will determine what he becomes, later in life.

This children grow up with single mothers, who expose them to several boyfriends, and this confuses the child.
One has only to visit one of the ghettos in a big city to see the devastation that this has created. Most of these children have no value system, no motivation, no guidance, and no discipline. Which are the most fundamental issues in raising a child. By age 16, all they have learned is how to point a gun at someone's head. Of course, not every child has this fate, but a good 90 percent of them do, and most wind up in the penitentiary, before the age of 20.
Okay. So how do you know this? Is that factual-based evidence or more opinion based. And you're not Black judging by your handle.

Can you please provide some facts to this information you have provided, which I honestly do believe is quite biased.

Did you notice that the hispanic community was mentioned as well? Why do you have nothing to say about that?

And FYI, 90% of them don't. That is a majority of the population. Which makes that quite impossible.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 PM

188 posts, read 406,232 times
Default Generalize much

So...everyone is going to just continue to disregard the class of the Black people in question? Im almost sure that the Black people we so love to bash are undereducated, have higher unemployment rates, live in poverty stricken neighborhoods with high crime rates.

But thats not the reality of all Black people

Originally Posted by Latina7

Hey Latina7, since you know so much about Black folks, how about you elaborate on why for generations, culturally these people in your opinion haven't valued marriage... I'd appreciate it from a historical point of view.
'[]==76

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Yeah, I see now that she's claimed to be half Mexican half white and that the father of her kids is black. I dunno what's up here with the white hubby stuff. Maybe half Mexican is " chocolate" to her?
or maybe she just trolling for fun

Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,484 times
Quote:

sweet,sweet pontificating. Please tell me more about the black community. Wait let me get my notepad...I will share these notes at the next black people convention.

Nah, actually, spare me the crap. The black family was intact in the 1960s and then all demographics slowed the rate of wedding. Take a look at the chart.
From http://www.stateofourunions.org/2011...indicators.php
FIGURE 2. PERCENTAGE OF ALL PERSONS AGE 15 AND OLDER WHO WERE MARRIED, BY SEX AND RACE, 1960–2010, UNITED STATES

Generations and generations? No stop with all that. And take a look at the end of the chart. See the marriage rate for white men and black men is higher than the marriage rate for females? There are more black men then black women out there. It is IMPOSSIBLE for them all to get married unless they marry each other or marry out of their race. Add this in with the Socioeconomic factors and we have a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Xeon1210; 01-30-2013 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:

You may want to take your advice to your own community. The out-of-wedlock birthrates among teenage Latina's are legendary at this point. Also, regarding your comments about visiting ghettos in the big city, and how the kids behave, you do realize that many many many of those kids have Spanish surnames right?? Latins are pointing that gun at their fellow Latins, and many are winding up in the penitentiary, before the age of 20. As you just stated in you post. Many in your community have no value system, no motivation, no guidance, and no discipline.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
There is no evidence that African Americans value marriage any less that anyone else. But there is evidence that wealth accumulation, or the lack thereof are highly correlated to who and when individual decide to do so.
The influence of a lack of personal wealth may explain recent changes in marriage patterns in the U.S., according to Daniel Schneider of Princeton University.

Schneider’s research is published in the American Journal of Sociology.

Statistics show that for the past few decades, Americans have been getting married later in life and are becoming more likely to forego marriage altogether.

Between 1970 and 2000, the median age of first marriage in the U.S. rose by about four years, and the percentage of people who decided not to marry at all increased from 5 percent to 10 persent.

“If those who are already disadvantaged are now marrying less and so missing out on these beneficial properties of marriage, that could cement cycles of disadvantage and intergenerational inequality.”

Experts are not certain why the marital gaps are occurring. Several studies have found that having a steady job and a good income are important factors in determining whether someone gets married.

Because blacks and those with less education face disadvantages in the labor market, they might tend to hold off marriage longer, thereby increasing gaps in marriage rates. But income only explains a part of these gaps, Schneider says.

Schneider investigated if accumulated wealth—whether or not someone owns a car, has money in a savings account, or owns financial assets like stocks and bonds—might be playing a role along with income. According to his hypothesis, if wealth influences marriage decisions, then existing inequalities in wealth between blacks and whites could be driving the gaps in marriage rates.

Using data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (1979), Schneider tested whether owning such assets increased the probability that a person entered a first marriage in a given year.

After controlling for factors such as income, employment, and family background, the analysis showed that owning a car increases the probability that a man will get married in a given year by 2.6 percentage points.

Owning a financial asset increases the probability by 1.5 percentage points. Wealth also increases the likelihood that a woman would marry, though to a lesser degree than for men.

The results show that the wealth gap between blacks and whites in the U.S. is contributing to the growing marriage gap even more so than differences in income.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/10...ied/30149.html

Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:

wow...

What if I substituted Hispanic for Black in your quote...would you believe the same? Many do.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM

251 posts, read 273,972 times
It's quite telling of the OP, that she has not come back on to dialogue. It's almost as if she wants to see fireworks between poster. It's pretty interesting to see. This whole thread reeks of stereotypes 101#

To the OP, your username says a lot ...singlemom...I'm guessing you're not "black." So let's see how can I feel better about myself and my situation. Let's talk about all those "baby mamas and their drama" hey at least I'm not like that. *SMH*

Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
Personally, I don't see how marriage does much to improve the relationship. I am black (perhaps not "not black enough" for some but that's not important). Between black women and black men, marriage is a no-win situation. For the most part it comes down to us not really being able to live which each other for very long. I wouldn't say that we are loner types but most of us want and need our own space to stay sane. Marriage is out because it's about compromise and all that which is something most of us just aren't willing to take on.

Let me just say this, I came from a two-parent household and will always believe I would have done better in life if my folks had never lived together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.