Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

I replied to a post today about parents letting their kids watch BET. I said that BET portrays an overall negative image of the black community and that BET equaled low-class blacks. Another poster said i was full of self-hate just b/c of that justified snap at BET.

I see the lineups and previews of BET's shows. The previews of College Hill show the people fighting and cussin all the time (way to get me to turn in.) The "Spring Bling" shows they do are just a week of wild sex, partying, and drinking. For most of the day and week BET glorifies cars, sex, bling, and violence..

BET does decent shows too like jeff johnson, my black is beautiful Hip-hop vs. america, and celebration of gospel but personally i think their shows that portray black folk with no class whatsoever overshadows it.

Befor you reply, let me make clear that i'm a black man who is happy to be a black man but i'm VERY critical also. I watch TVone over BET because i feel it does a great job of showcasing black people in a more positive light.

So folks, does BET help or hurt the black community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,386,093 times
So interesting this should come up cause I've been bitching' about BET since I caught some of the awards program on Sunday. I say "some" cause I could barely get through 5 whole mins. It was just terrible! A hot mess.

I may have to start out by also saying I'm a black women, with bo problem with my color but I haven't watched BET in about 5 years. None of their programming appeals to me. I liked it when I was a teen but I just outgrew it.

That said I tried watching a bit today and came upon some sitcome called The Game. Simple dreadful. Unfunny. 3rd rate with a laugh track in the background. Who is watching this crap? I dont' watch enough to say whether its hurting or not but it could be better. After that sorry awards ceremony, it certainly isn't helping.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
You ever seen much of the crap the MTV is been pumping out for yrs. I flick around and see some the garbage on there.

I don't watch BET, but, it is hardly alone in portraying foolishness, of any color for that matter.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times

YouTube - Boondocks BET Diss [BANNED FROM TV]

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
BET never lived up to its potential when it was owned and operated by Robert Johnson so it should not come to anyone's surprise that now under the ownership of Viacom that it has hardly improved, if in fact it hasn't gotten worse.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
I too stopped watching BET ages ago, even before I stopped watching MTV (late 90's? early 00's?). it just got too annoying seeing the same music videos for "Back Dat Thang Up", some stupid DMX song, or other rap song w/ booty shakers in the background every hour on the hour. they pushed all the mellow R&B songs to the late night/pre-dawn hours and filled the rest of the schedule w/ stupid music videos and shows. and I definitely don't have any desire to watch the BET awards (I've had more than enough of T-Pain, Soulja Boy, Beyonce, and Jamie Foxx and don't need to see an overdrawn award show further hyping them up)

as a side note, I don't make it a habit of reading/listening/watching anything directed to the black community. I don't go out of my way to watch Tyler Perry movies or certain shows on CW, or watch BET (not to say I won't of course, I just don't go out of my way to do so simply b/c I'm black and I'm "supposed to"). but it seems like a lot of the media directed at blacks seem to emphasize negative stereotypes and portrayals. from what I've read, the last Tyler Perry movie got criticisms for that reason. BET just lumps all these things together into one station.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,054 times
I think BET hurts them because it's always the station people joke about.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
BET never lived up to its potential when it was owned and operated by Robert Johnson so it should not come to anyone's surprise that now under the ownership of Viacom that it has hardly improved, if in fact it hasn't gotten worse.
Absoutely! It used to be a little better in its beginnings, but now it is just bad.

Just like everything else I guess it just went downhill!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,787,327 times
As an African American, I don't feel like BET necessarily hurts the black community, but, for the most part, it doesn't help it either.

One of my biggest complaints about BET is that it seems like they are trying as hard as possible to emulate other music channels (like VH1 and MTV) when, in my opinion, that's not the direction most want it to go. Namely BET should have never stepped into the arena of reality TV (Hell Date, College Hill, Beef: The Series).

I think if BET could get a solid line-up of shows, it could regain some of its credibility. For instance, a black sitcom would be cool. Something relatively wholesome like All of Us, or My Wife and Kids, a BET-original, though. Also a late-night show would be nice, like the Tavis Smiley show or something of similar format (guest interviewee based.)
They would have to keep 106 & Park as thats their #1 show but introducing some other music-based shows would be nice, such as a show based around up-and-coming artists or underground music (perhaps as a music review show).
Then more non-music shows could be introduced such as their old show Personal Diary which was basically like VH1's Behind the Music but featured various prominent figures in black culture.
Maybe re-introducing a late-late-night comedy lineup would be cool too, but not as raw as ComicView...

But...alas, I have wandered off topic..my apologies...

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,060,047 times
To the OP: Both. That said, MTV doesn't help the white community nor does VH1! I think all tv is meant to make people look ridiculous now and BET is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates