Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times

Advertisements

AT what age do grandparents stop giving Christmas gifts and Birthday gifts to their grandchildren? I am wondering if there is some type of cut off out there.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times
My grandma always gave gifts, regardless of age. If she were still alive, we'd still be getting them (all of us are in our 30s now). However, gift giving was something that brought her a lot of joy. She loved doing the shopping and the wrapping, and especially loved watching us open gifts--from her and from anyone else. She was a rare, special human being. Also, she could afford to do so and only had 3 grandchildren.

Does it still bring you joy to do the gift giving? Are you struggling financially? Personally, my favorite holidays as an adult have been when we were all together, laughing and eating, and doing a silly white elephant gift exchange. It didn't cost anything (you bring something from home that you don't want) and it always produces so much laughter and fun. Since so many are struggling right now, I think it is perfectly reasonable to curtail the gifts. Actually, I think all of us should probably do this regardless of finances. We need to establish, as a family, what our holidays mean to us--what's the purpose, what are our values as a family, and how can we best love and enjoy each other on these special days. For young children, I think a small gift they will love is appropriate, but for adults, perhaps it needs to be something else...something that warms our spirits and instills hope and spreads love rather than lining our pockets.

Sorry for the novel...no, I don't know of a traditional cut-off age. It depends on the family, the family's traditions, and the family's values.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
I'm 37 and they still send me, my dh and each child a gift. (1 grandma just sends cards now... she can't afford to do more and I think the cards are a stretch for her budget too)

My dh's granny sends him a gift for his birthday, but not me and the children. She sends one check for Christmas for all of us to share. She handles all of her grandchild and their families the same way. The single ones "make out" at Christmas!

I think MOST grandchildren understand when the budget gets too tight... as long as it's done equally, across the board. And those who don't... well, too bad.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:04 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
I've only been a grandma for a little over a year so this is a good question!

I want to buy her something every time she does something cute......I wonder if that's why I'm so broke.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Don't think my rep went through on that one, Kali's, but I just wanted to say welcome to "It's a gramma's privilege to spoil em world"

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,605 times
When I first read this post, I thought, "oh my goodness, they cant be serious..do you ever stop giving to your grandchildren???" ... You see, I just found out that Im going to be a grandmother!! And, so far, all Im doing is going online and reading everything. I read everything on "thebump" because its been so long (my son is 33), and now Im registered on a grandparents site!

But, back to the question...my mom had 7 children and 23 grandchildren, not to mention great grands..she always bought every one a gift till she got too old to go out and shop. Then she started giving money to everyone..later, after my dad died, she started giving money to the couples..oh wow! It goes on and on...I dont know how she did it, as we were not wealthy people.

Shes long gone now, but I will always remember how much she did for her family, and think back in awe wondering how she did it. And, I will say this, no one in our family took advantage of this. We tried to get her to stop, but she said she got so much pleasure from it.

I have a feeling that Im going to be just like Kali's Grandma! But, Im so looking forward to the fun!! BTW, I ONLY have the one son! Guess that might be a good thing as far as this goes!! Dot

Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
One grandma stopped when there were too many and we got too hard to buy for. She had 11 grand kids. The other stopped when... I'm not really sure what stopped her. Honestly I think it was just too much trouble for her. Actually, she got us all gift certificates for the last several years. When my parents started taking care of her finances, they realized she couldn't afford it.

My husband's grandparents gave until they passed away. The last year or 2, it was their daughter making sure it was done. But in that family there were only 2 grand kids and 4 great grand kids.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
my grandparents were still purchasing us gifts before they passed away,and I was in my late 20's...
My husband's grandparents however, have never bought him or myself any gifts at all..
I think it depends on the family and what they are able/willing to do...

Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
I agree that it depends on each family and how they want to do it. I am the oldest of 20 cousins on one side, and my grandparents both passed away when I was in my mid-20's. I don't remember getting gifts much past college graduation. A couple years before they died (within a year of each other, too) I remember Grandpa giving all 9 of his kids and all 20 grandkids a lump sum for Christmas...I think he realized his time was getting short and he should give away some money.

My other grandpa died when I was 10, but my grandma was here until my early 30's...and she always sent me a bday gift and a small Christmas check to share with DH and kids. She only had 7 grandkids though, and was fairly well off with my grandpa's pensions. She did not send DH or my 2 kids anything for their bdays, though.

My mom has a set plan for nieces/nephews gifts, since she had 18 on one side and 5 on the other...once they turn 18, no more bday checks, but she would send something for a high school or college graduation. It was just way to expensive! I intend to to the same.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Be gratefull because everytime my grandmother gave a birthday gift of a doll my mother would take it back to the store and get underwear with the money and she would pocket the rest . My grandmother eventually caught on and never gave us anything else after that . and maybe once in a while we would get a card at christmas and my mother would always look at it first to see if there was money in it I guess . now my kids gm from their fathers side she always gave them gifts of jewelry or clothes or nice things and sometimes saving bonds .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.