Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 AM

28 posts, read 54,998 times

Advertisements

Hi!! I need a little help here... Christmas is fast approaching, and we will be flying in to be with the in-laws. They have a large home (so staying at a motel isn't an option), however, it is a VERY cluttered home. Not so much to the point where it's a collapsing fire hazard, but you cannot see counterspace OR tabletop space in the kitchen...

My problem is my 17 month old, who will, no doubt, want to pull everything down and apart. I have discussed with my husband that I am not going to be the one constantly chasing him with a "no-no", but I have a feeling that this is what this holiday is going to be.

Do you all have any suggestions on what to do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,270,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Marsh Wildflower View Post
My problem is my 17 month old, who will, no doubt, want to pull everything down and apart. I have discussed with my husband that I am not going to be the one constantly chasing him with a "no-no", but I have a feeling that this is what this holiday is going to be.

Plan to constantly chase him with "no-no" and ask your husband to give you frequent breaks.

It's rather insulting for you to be so negative about it to your husband. They are his parents!

So lighten up on the negativity.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,212,474 times
Knowing me, I would start cleaning their house, if they won't do it themselves. You could mention that if it stays out, chances are it will break - they should know, they had at least one kid themselves.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,073,552 times
Ask your husband to call his parents and explain to them that your child has hit the exploratory stage and request that they put away any precious breakable items. Then, buckle up and prepare to do a lot of chasing. It's just something parents have to do at this stage. Don't fret. It passes quickly.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Plan to constantly chase him with "no-no" and ask your husband to give you frequent breaks.

It's rather insulting for you to be so negative about it to your husband. They are his parents!

So lighten up on the negativity.
I didn't mean to come across as negative, just truthful.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM

969 posts, read 2,858,757 times
Quote:

Is it possible to bring along (or ship ahead) some portable "baby gates" and restrict access to certain areas? I would also plan on spending LOTS of time outside exploring the local park scene - local yard sales for "new" items to keep occupied with - oerhaps a zoo is close by? A tired 17 month old is a better house guest.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,938,579 times
I would probably just do a lot of chasing after the kid. Maybe you can get a baby gate to keep the baby in one room with you. Then baby-proof that room as best you can, and when you have to chase, it's not so far to go.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Hi!! I need a little help here... Christmas is fast approaching, and we will be flying in to be with the in-laws. They have a large home (so staying at a motel isn't an option), however, it is a VERY cluttered home. Not so much to the point where it's a collapsing fire hazard, but you cannot see counterspace OR tabletop space in the kitchen...

My in-law's house is also cluttered. Not dirty, junky cluttered, just FULL of knick-knacks, artificial plants, breakables, LIT candles... I used to take it upon myself to put as many items out of reach as I could, and blow out the candles that were in reach. I thought I was doing MIL a favor by not letting my boys break her stuff (or burn down her house), but I always got disapproving looks from her. I finally gave up and last year one of them broke her big snow globe music box that was on the coffee table. I hope it was a learning experience for her. I felt kind of bad, but not really. If it isn't a danger to your child, maybe let him pull some stuff down. Maybe it will serve as a hint. but also plan on chasing. It won't be relaxing for you, but it is a phase. In a couple of years it won't be so bad. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Yes, exactly!! They travel a LOT and have little figurines everywhere, which I am sure scream "TOY" to a little one. I know I wouldn't want a child come screaming through my house breaking things, but I can't exactly tell them what to do. I don't want to step on any toes with the in-laws, but I don't want Christmas at Grandma's be a killjoy for the baby because of all the "no-no"s.

We are going to FedEx babygates before we leave. I'm not familiar with the city in which they live, but I will suggest many outside excursions.

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly!! They travel a LOT and have little figurines everywhere, which I am sure scream "TOY" to a little one. I know I wouldn't want a child come screaming through my house breaking things, but I can't exactly tell them what to do. I don't want to step on any toes with the in-laws, but I don't want Christmas at Grandma's be a killjoy for the baby because of all the "no-no"s.

We are going to FedEx babygates before we leave. I'm not familiar with the city in which they live, but I will suggest many outside excursions.

Thank you so much for your help!
maybe as you are chasing and taking things away, you could put them out of reach instead of back on the coffee table. then maybe it will get a little easier as the days go by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents