Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:32 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
Yeah I-14 will be Augusta's second east to west interstate when we need a north to south. Comprende?
OK, I'm clear now; thanks.
Yes, I do see your point. It seems that 14 would connect a bunch of mid-level cities to each other, but not to any major urban centers. Not sure why this would be a priority.
To me what makes the most sense (within GA) is to extend 185 from Columbus, across 10 to Panama City. IMO, the benefit to Columbus would be pretty clear in that case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:51 AM

543 posts, read 1,316,691 times
I agree 100%. Columbus need an extend 185 badly. No can tell me how I-14 would benefit the Fall Line cities?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
I-14 is a high priority for the state. Because it will connect three of GA's five largest cities. Then it will help divert some of the drive thru traffic. Away from the interstates in Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, I'm clear now; thanks.
Yes, I do see your point. It seems that 14 would connect a bunch of mid-level cities to each other, but not to any major urban centers. Not sure why this would be a priority.
To me what makes the most sense (within GA) is to extend 185 from Columbus, across 10 to Panama City. IMO, the benefit to Columbus would be pretty clear in that case.
Unless you're talking about a major urban center. Outside the state of GA. Because the whole point of I-14 and I-3. When it comes to leadership in GA. Was to make sure they don't go anywhere near Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:44 AM

What the difference between Fall Line Freeway and I-14? What major city are supposed to be on I-14? I rather have I-3 because of the varieties of different things it offers. Mountains, lakes, rivers and beaches. Of course I know about the dificulty I-3 will have.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
What the difference between Fall Line Freeway and I-14? What major city are supposed to be on I-14? I rather have I-3 because of the varieties of different things it offers. Mountains, lakes, rivers and beaches. Of course I know about the dificulty I-3 will have.
I think GA is more worried about. Connecting three of its five largest cities. Diverting thru traffic out of Metro Atl. And moving cargo, goods, etc throughout state. Without it having to go through Metro Atlanta. Than making sure a major city is on I-14.

Fall line Freeway is a 4 line highway.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 PM

so right now goods arent being move thru out the state. Atlanta does 90% of the distribution traffic going to go thru ther regardless. Whats good for Ga is not always good for your city. Norton tell me how Augusta benefits fromI-14, really?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
so right now goods arent being move thru out the state. Atlanta does 90% of the distribution traffic going to go thru ther regardless. Whats good for Ga is not always good for your city. Norton tell me how Augusta benefits fromI-14, really?
Yes, goods are moving throughout the state. That 90% number going thru Atlanta will come down drastically. When you have two more interstates in GA that don't go anywhere near metro Atlanta. That's the whole point.

Augusta will benefit from I-14. Because it will have direct access via a interstate. To Columbus and Macon.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I-14 is a high priority for the state. Because it will connect three of GA's five largest cities. Then it will help divert some of the drive thru traffic. Away from the interstates in Atlanta.
Do you have any kind of a source within the DOT, or any kind of press release from the State confirming that this indeed IS a high priority?

I have friends that work at DOT HQ's, and they can't confirm any of this.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:10 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Yes, goods are moving throughout the state. That 90% number going thru Atlanta will come down drastically. When you have two more interstates in GA that don't go anywhere near metro Atlanta. That's the whole point.

Augusta will benefit from I-14. Because it will have direct access via a interstate. To Columbus and Macon.
No, it will not come down drastically. There is over 590 million square feet of distribution & warehouse space in Metro Atlanta - and growing. This is more than the combined total of every other SE State with the exception of Florida.

These distribution centers do not just serve Atlanta/North Georgia. They typically serve the entire Southeast including Florida. Several of the mega centers serve the entire Eastern Seaboard.

As much as you would LIKE to divert traffic and growth away from Atlanta, neither I-14 nor wishful thinking will make it happen.

Is there really a need for a full-on Interstate in this corridor? IMO, no. Just finally finish this decades-long study in futility called the Fall Line Freeway, and call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia