Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 01:17 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,159 times

Advertisements

I agree Born2Roll. Even were this law overturned, it wouldn't correct the many others over recent years that have shutdown centers or offices for women's care nor would it sell GA as a hospitable state to do women's healthcare. In just my 15 years, offerings were fairly abundant but now it's woefully limited. It's a buzzword issue for many people, but this is just the cherry on top for conservatives who have planned for more successfully to get here.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
The Los Angeles Times writes that Georgia's controversial new abortion ban is part of a larger national strategy by conservatives to push the Supreme Court to overturn its landmark 1973 Roe vs. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide...

"Stricter abortion bans are conservative-led states' gambit to overturn Roe vs. Wade" (The Los Angeles Times/MSN)

Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
As a woman and a mom, let me say, I've always agreed with a woman's right to choose. Personally, I couldn't do it.. but understood why a woman could or would. With that said, when is the left going to realize that this is completely their fault. Abortion was not a major issue a few years ago, and these laws are in direct response to the FAR left's hijacking of the Democrat party and the blatant move to the left outhreaches of sanity just to respond to an election they didn't like. If other governors and activists had not moved to LATE TERM abortions and other such nonsense none of this had to occur. I swear, so many on the left have created their own storms lately and then cry, whine and throw just another fit when it rains. Perhaps Hollywood and a lot of other folks need to take a big long look in a mirror when they want to know why things are like they are now. The reason the election didn't turn out the way they wanted and now these laws are in direct response to actions they started.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:36 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
Welcome to Georgia
Where being a Mother is MANDATORY

Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
As a woman and a mom, let me say, I've always agreed with a woman's right to choose. Personally, I couldn't do it.. but understood why a woman could or would. With that said, when is the left going to realize that this is completely their fault. Abortion was not a major issue a few years ago, and these laws are in direct response to the FAR left's hijacking of the Democrat party and the blatant move to the left outhreaches of sanity just to respond to an election they didn't like. If other governors and activists had not moved to LATE TERM abortions and other such nonsense none of this had to occur. I swear, so many on the left have created their own storms lately and then cry, whine and throw just another fit when it rains. Perhaps Hollywood and a lot of other folks need to take a big long look in a mirror when they want to know why things are like they are now. The reason the election didn't turn out the way they wanted and now these laws are in direct response to actions they started.
I disagree with everything you said about the left creating this issue.

This has been a focus of the evangelical right for more than 40 years, what has happened is the right wing GOP has made it a wedge issue & in this day of partisan politics & gerrymandered electoral districts, representatives have been elected office who 20 years ago would have never made it out of a primary.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Clearly you just made this up. Firstly, the so-called hijacking of the Democratic Party by the far left happened no earlier than 2016 when the more progressive wing of the party backed Sanders in the primary, and pushing late-term abortions wasn't part of Sanders' agenda. And since 2016, a grand total of one state (NY) expanded abortion access to include late-term abortions. But when talking about these "heartbeat" bills, that began in 2013 when North Dakota passed the first such bill.

You should read this article that shows how these bills are intended to challenge the constitutionality of Roe v Wade now that SCOTUS is probably as right-leaning as it's ever been since the Roe v Wade decision. So conservatives and anti-abortion activists see this era under this administration as their best opportunity to get it done since Mitch McConnell used the so-called nuclear option in getting SCOTUS nominees confirmed for the first time in Senate history. So instead of nominees needing to be confirmed with at least 60 Senate votes, which requires some bipartisanship that results in the confirmation of more moderate candidates, they only need a simple majority of 51 which is making the court much more partisan in nature.

Another line of evidence that disproves your assertion is looking at what happened in several state legislatures, particularly in the South, when they came under GOP control for the first time in a long time starting in 2010. You had states like Georgia and NC that had been under Democratic control for decades and far from attempting to enact some far-left agenda, they had been governing pretty moderately. But as soon as the switch happened, you saw GOP lawmakers in those states pushing some of the craziest far-right laws. And the massive GOP resistance to President Obama was absolutely unprecedented. You want to talk about a party getting mad because the election didn't turn out the way they wanted, you need to start in 2008 when GOP Congressional leadership made a pact to resist Obama's agenda completely without regard to its merits. Their fierce resistance to the ACA is a prime example as it was largely based on ideas put forward by the friggin' Heritage Foundation--the GOP's own think tank. And in the last year of Obama's administration, McConnell's refusal to grant a confirmation hearing for Obama's SCOTUS nominee, Merrick Garland, was yet another example. The man is a well-regarded moderate judge by members of both parties, yet rigor mortis hadn't even set in Scalia's body before McConnell said he would oppose any nomination by Obama--and Obama hadn't even named anyone yet. Apparently you were asleep during the entire Obama administration to have missed ALL that.

You're just blatantly wrong here on so many levels.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Monday's broadcast of the Georgia Public Broadcasting radio/TV public policy show "Political Rewind" examined the continuing backlash from some national quarters against Georgia House Bill 481, the controversial 'Heartbeat bill.'

Quote:
On this edition of Political Rewind, Hollywood is beginning to step up criticism of Georgia's new abortion law. Some movie and television producers are calling for a boycott of the state while others say they’ll still film here but will donate profits to fight the law. Will the state lose its position as the number one location for film and tv production or is it all just talk?
"Political Rewind: National Backlash Continues Amid Abortion Debate" (Georgia Public Broadcasting)

Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,592 times
Georgia is so thankful for the State of Alabama getting the spotlight away from us.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 AM

834 posts, read 1,017,585 times
I like how people never include pricing the working class and minorities out of cities in their "culture war" posturing because it's not bad if you use economics instead of violence to achieve it...

TL;DR; this whole discussion is fake BS just using virtue signaling for politics..

Old 05-17-2019, 07:21 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
Default Metro Atlanta economy...

Quote:

I would encourage you to read & well consider the responses your post has brought about here.
It would be helpful to know a LONG TERM history of the abortion issue & to not just focus on very recent aspects of the issue.
Having a broad spectrum of information or news coverage & analysis of the abortion issue would likely lead to an opinion more thoughtful or evocative than one that includes words & phrases such as "whine","cry" and "throw another fit" which are part & parcel of what is sadly often included in anti-abortion messaging we see in the television news & in online blogs.
Sadly, the fact that our state legislature & the holders of our highest statewide elected offices are propelling Georgia down an extreme right wing path in terms of social issues, one that is actually out of touch with the views of a majority of Georgians, should give us pause.
The threat such extremism offers to the reputation and prospects of Georgia are real. One need only to recall the damage that Indiana suffered to it's overall & BUSINESS reputation when mike pence was the governor of that state & signed extreme right wing social views into law.
Here is but one take on what happened in Indiana.

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...l-boycott.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia