Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM

1,180 posts, read 985,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Where would you prefer to be? Bills like this are popping up all over the country.
Looking at DC, Chicago, and Minneapolis.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Just a reminder to everyone talking about a state exodus, the law doesn't go into effect until 1-1-2020 AND it is being challenged in federal court almost immediately and every other state (Iowa, Kentucky, Miss.) which has already enacted a similar law has had it blocked by various Federal courts. This one should be too.

Whether or not the SC will uphold precedence once the case works its way to that level remains to be seen.
I think I'm just tired of the south. Plus if we get four more years of Trump, I'd rather be in a blue state that can allow more progressive ideas flourish in spite of who's in the white house. I love living in Atlanta but unfortunately it's still in the south.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:01 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
I think I'm just tired of the south. Plus if we get four more years of Trump, I'd rather be in a blue state that can allow more progressive ideas flourish in spite of who's in the white house. I love living in Atlanta but unfortunately it's still in the south.
There's always a trade off.

In this case, it would be politics for higher COL and/or snow/cold.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 882,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
There's always a trade off.

In this case, it would be politics for higher COL and/or snow/cold.
Plus his forum name is basically going to be useless if he moves, that or he'll just be a liar.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Plus his forum name is basically going to be useless if he moves, that or he'll just be a liar.
You can easily change your user name. Not sure what a forum name has to do with me moving but okay.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You can easily change your user name.
I did not know that.

Quote:
Not sure what a forum name has to do with me moving but okay.
...You wouldn't be Atlanta Scientist anymore. You'd be Pittsburgh Lawyer or Sacramento Dentist or something, but since you can change the forum name there's no issue at all. Best regards!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
I think this will become the new normal for traditional red states. In the past, southern state legislatures were Republicans who were socially conservative but were pragmatic businessmen who wouldn’t let their morals get too in the way of making money.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:28 PM

It's already the norm. Several red states have already passed mirroring legislation and others have mirroring legislation in the pipeline.

It's a race to the bottom and overturning RvW is the goal.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
In a direct response to Georgia's highly-controversial new abortion law, late-night talk show host Busy Phillips (whom I have vaguely heard of but admittedly am not intimately familiar with) commented about her own personal experiences with and views about abortion on her seemingly generally completely non-political late-night talk show "Busy Tonight."

In her comments, Phillips talked about how she had an abortion at age 15, talked about how she was scared for women in the country and commented about how she felt that people were trying to police women's bodies.

Quote:
Busy Philipps is opening up about her abortion.

On Tuesday night’s episode of Busy Tonight, the 39-year-old late night host shared her experience with abortion in response to the signing of Georgia’s controversial new abortion law.
"Busy Philipps Opens Up About Having an Abortion at 15: 'Every Woman Deserves Compassion and Care'" (includes video) (People magazine/MSN)

Old 05-09-2019, 12:11 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
More stinging criticism of Georgia's controversial new abortion law from the left side of the political spectrum from high-profile progressive and left-of-center political figures like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Hillary Clinton...
"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Hillary Clinton blast Georgia's 'heartbeat bill'" (USA Today)

Meanwhile, Hollywood so far seems generally to be showing little interest in boycotting the state of Georgia in response to Governor Kemp's signing of the highly-controversial 'Heartbeat bill' into law...
Quote:
Sources tell IndieWire that they don’t know what a Georgia boycott could accomplish as this plays out in the courts. The ability to influence state politicians on this issue has passed. The impact would be on Hollywood itself, the vendors and crew that have relocated to the state, and its own bottom line. Hollywood brought more dollars back from Georgia ($800 million) during the 2018 fiscal year than the New York, New Mexico and California rebates combined.
"As Georgia Signs the Heartbeat Bill, Hollywood Shows Little Interest in Boycott... Why is Hollywood unwilling to stand for abortion rights like it did for LGTBQ rights in Georgia? The answer is complicated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia