Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 10:12 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaRising View Post
I get that actual policy for some comes first. Some people have the privilege to choose a candidate when it comes to things that should be the focus, like spending or defense. I no longer have that privilege. I have to be concerned first with the physical wellbeing of me and my family. After Trump, I have no confidence in the current GOP. It really is as simple as that for us right now. Anyone that really cares about a minority loved one would understand this.

Not one person on here has told you to vote Republican or for Donald Trump. That is a figment of your imagination. All I am saying is that I am considering voting for other candidates due to the incompetence that is the Biden Administration and the shift of a political party that once stood for the American worker and middle class who now is more aligned with the wealthy elite and policies that do not support working Americans. Also, regarding your comments on minority loved ones have you looked at the actual interracial violent crime statistics? There is one group who has a virtual monopoly on not only interracial violent crime but violent crime in general and it isn't 'white' people. I am starting to think this is some elaborate troll or parody account of some sort? Very little to nothing you have been espousing is backed by the actual statistics.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:54 AM

254 posts, read 131,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Not one person on here has told you to vote Republican or for Donald Trump. That is a figment of your imagination. All I am saying is that I am considering voting for other candidates due to the incompetence that is the Biden Administration and the shift of a political party that once stood for the American worker and middle class who now is more aligned with the wealthy elite and policies that do not support working Americans. Also, regarding your comments on minority loved ones have you looked at the actual interracial violent crime statistics? There is one group who has a virtual monopoly on not only interracial violent crime but violent crime in general and it isn't 'white' people. I am starting to think this is some elaborate troll or parody account of some sort? Very little to nothing you have been espousing is backed by the actual statistics.

You know, for someone whose grandmother is a Holocaust survivor, you really take an interesting approach to the threat of hateful rhetoric from one particular side of the isle. I could say the same about you. Have you even seen one documentary on the Holocaust? Do you not see any parallels between the last administration and Hitler? You don't seem like anyone who has ever experienced the level of mistreatment Jews have. You seem like a typical, hetero white man, concerned about himself and only himself. And there is just as much white redneck trash here and in upstate NY. Again, hopefully it won't be your wife and kids they come for. But they seem to be simple accessories to your dominant existence anyway. You can always get another, apparently. And I don't need statistics. I have video of what happened in Germany by straight, white entitled people. I have video of Charlottesville with the same types of people chanting "Jews will not replace us". You have no clue what life as a minority in this country is like after 2016. Minority majority is coming fast. One day you may. Hopefully God will be on your side when the dam breaks.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-05-2021 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 11:22 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,536 times
Quote:
You know, for someone whose grandmother is a Holocaust survivor, you really take an interesting approach to the threat of hateful rhetoric from one particular side of the isle. I could say the same about you. Have you even seen one documentary on the Holocaust? Do you not see any parallels between the last administration and Hitler? You don't seem like anyone who has ever experienced the level of mistreatment Jews have. You seem like a typical, hetero white man, concerned about himself and only himself. And there is just as much white redneck trash here and in upstate NY. Again, hopefully it won't be your wife and kids they come for. But they seem to be simple accessories to your dominant existence anyway. You can always get another, apparently. And I don't need statistics. I have video of what happened in Germany by straight, white entitled people. I have video of Charlottesville with the same types of people chanting "Jews will not replace us". You have no clue what life as a minority in this country is like after 2016. Minority majority is coming fast. One day you may. Hopefully God will be on your side when the dam breaks.

I think that is part of the problem and how we got to this point. Actual Facts, Statistics, and Empirical Data no longer matter. Only 'feelings' matter. There is plenty of video out there of Asian Americans being attacked and in the vast majority of them it is being done by one group. Damn the actual statistics and actual video evidence though someone was shouting mean things. I'm pretty in tune to this as my wife and I keep up with it. I think if you actually look at the information and data you might be very surprised but then again you don't care about the actual statistics and have no intentions of ever doing such.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I think that is part of the problem and how we got to this point. Actual Facts, Statistics, and Empirical Data no longer matter. Only 'feelings' matter. There is plenty of video out there of Asian Americans being attacked and in the vast majority of them it is being done by one group. Damn the actual statistics and actual video evidence though someone was shouting mean things. I'm pretty in tune to this as my wife and I keep up with it. I think if you actually look at the information and data you might be very surprised but then again you don't care about the actual statistics and have no intentions of ever doing such.
Oh, you are definitely right. I enjoy living in this anxiety. I love the fact that every time my husband leaves the house, I have to worry about who he encounters, what biases they have and if that will result in violence.

There are no feelings necessary when there is video of white Aryan guys shoveling emaciated corpses into mass graves.

And while you keep alluding to African Americans without saying the words, you too will not take any time to learn about historical and generational trauma and what that does to entire communities because that would mean you actually accepting some of the responsibility for the conditions associated with elevated crime, addiction and poverty. It's just easier to scratch the surface and blame everything on them with relation to the color of their skin. That way you get to "feel" good about yourself because you were not directing the ships or an owner of slaves. There's definitely a "feeling" we could all live without.

I don't trust certain groups of people because they don't deserve to be trusted. They have a history of some really horrible things. One should never underestimate what they are capable of, especially when they are about to lose dominance over 340 million people. Historically, that has always been the most dangerous time for anyone not straight, white and male.

Not this time. I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment for just this reason.

I believe in Universal balance and this too will be balanced out. I have seen karma play out many times. This will be no different. It has taken centuries, but the clock is running itself out right in front of us all. When it happens, check your "feelings" about it and then get back to me with how unimportant they should be.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-05-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-05-2021, 12:59 PM

154 posts, read 96,344 times
Quote:
Oh, you are definitely right. I enjoy living in this anxiety. I love the fact that every time my husband leaves the house, I have to worry about who he encounters, what biases they have and if that will result in violence.

There are no feelings necessary when there is video of white Aryan guys shoveling emaciated corpses into mass graves.

And while you keep alluding to African Americans without saying the words, you too will not take any time to learn about historical and generational trauma and what that does to entire communities because that would mean you actually accepting some of the responsibility for the conditions associated with elevated crime, addiction and poverty. It's just easier to scratch the surface and blame everything on them with relation to the color of their skin. That way you get to "feel" good about yourself because you were not directing the ships or an owner of slaves. There's definitely a "feeling" we could all live without.

I don't trust certain groups of people because they don't deserve to be trusted. They have a history of some really horrible things. One should never underestimate what they are capable of, especially when they are about to lose dominance over 340 million people. Historically, that has always been the most dangerous time for anyone not straight, white and male.

Not this time. I am an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment for just this reason.

I believe in Universal balance and this too will be balanced out. I have seen karma play out many times. This will be no different. It has taken centuries, but the clock is running itself out right in front of us all. When it happens, check your "feelings" about it and then get back to me with how unimportant they should be.
Amen!!!

Old 11-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Amen!!!
I wish there was something Holy about the back and forth that just happened, but the fact is people like that don't care about people like me and my husband. Their sense of how good they are is challenged only enough to "tolerate" us. As long as we agreed to hide to make them feel comfortable and not challenge their authority, they agree to let us live in the shadows. As long as they are not the ones who light the flame, THEY WILL AND HAVE looked the other way while someone rounded us up and shoved us into concentration camp ovens. It's no different for Black and Brown people. The coded "certain people" language is a way to justify dehumanization of an entire race because of the actions of a small percentage of people who share ONE CHARACTERISTIC of millions of people. If that applies to Black and Brown people, it must apply to straight, white men too.

I wonder how his wife feels when people talk that way about Asian Americans. How does it feel walking through internment camps from less than a century ago in this sanctimonious country, spouting one liners like home of the free and justice for all? It really takes a sick perverted level of self congratulatory thinking to call yourself a patriot while kicking a fellow American or entire community of Americans while they are in need. It's like denying someone medical attention for a broken leg because you think they should be able to walk despite being pushed off a cliff.

Waiting for some moment of awareness from people who will NEVER be able to stand in your shoes or anyone's shoes who have suffered from discrimination and yes, TERRORISM, is a waste of time. This argument has been another pointless, waste of my time. He doesn't care. He cares about being able to read from a teleprompter. I hope he remembers this when his wife or children find themselves "feeling" the things I tried unsuccessfully to demonstrate. Until then, it's just unimportant noise that will be tuned out because of self preservation of the ego.

And SWM wonder why the rest of us have animosity towards them. Because there has never been even a hint of remorse or understanding and now we finally can fight back. I'm done with this. Good luck to him and his journey. It must be nice to get to look at two candidates and weigh what benefits their lives without fear that one will instigate millions to spew hatred or violence toward them. So forgive me if I think the GOP is walking the line toward fascism and THAT, all by itself, is enough to walk away from the party completely. It must be really difficult that you have to pay an extra $0.79 for milk or you have to wait a little longer for your Playstation 5. It must be absolute torture for you to be inconvenienced at your job to wear a mask. And my heart breaks to know filling up your tank means separating from another $10 a week. It is pure selfishness for me to think I deserve to live in peace like you. While you vote to protect your privileged life, some of us have a little more on the line at the moment.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-05-2021 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-06-2021, 07:56 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Atlantarising, this is a perfect example of how good people can look at the same facts and arrive at completely different conclusions. I will never understand it.

One of the things I don’t understaNd is how any Jewish person could vote for a democrat. With their sad history of government control, how can you support a political philosophy that wants to create dependency and control the sweaty masses?

Old 11-06-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Atlantarising, this is a perfect example of how good people can look at the same facts and arrive at completely different conclusions. I will never understand it.

One of the things I don’t understaNd is how any Jewish person could vote for a democrat. With their sad history of government control, how can you support a political philosophy that wants to create dependency and control the sweaty masses?
If you read my posts, you will have your answer. Here it is, simplified.

You are a minority. You live in a country that espouses equality, but lately there have been mass shootings and harrassment targeting the people like you. An election is coming and you plan to vote.

There are two candidates to choose from. One Democrat. One Republican. The Democrat's formal policies are not what you would like. The Republican's formal policies are more aligned with what you agree is best.

The Democrat supports laws to protect you and your community. He or she denounces outright the hate and believes there needs to be more done to ensure you and those like you have support to feel as safe as everyone else. The Democrat speaks to your community specifically, acknowledging what is happening and focuses time on stopping it.

The Republican refuses to denounce the hatred. He or she calls those people "mostly good". He or she stands in front of the world and calls people from your community or another minority community rapists and murderers.

In the past, your community has suffered horrific tragedy, being beaten, killed, enslaved and/or harassed. You remember when hateful words about your community turned into animosity, turning into random violence, that turned into socially acceptable, daily violence that turned into mass murder or genocide. You want to be left alone to live your limited life in peace. You want the people you love to be safe from attack.

It's time to vote. You weigh your options. You can vote for the candidate who will promote less government, less spending...the Republican that supports your formal policies on non-social issues. Or you can vote for the candidate that does not support smaller government or less spending, but fully supports lawmaking that specifically protects you and your community, equality to say, get married and/or supports proactive policies meant to give you and your community peace of mind.

Ideology comes second to survival. So you vote for the person who thinks you are just as important as anyone else and deserve to spend your limited time on Earth with the same peace and opportunity as everyone else. You spend inordinate amounts of time trying to speak to those outside your community about how unsafe and fearful your daily life is because of policies and rhetoric from the other candidate or party. But they just can't understand "how can you support a political philosophy that wants to create dependency and control the sweaty masses?" No matter how much back and forth, nothing you say registers. You begin to think they want to see you oppressed, done away with or victimized, even if you agree with their formal policies on economic and governing policies. You feel even less supported, protected or heard. You give up even trying to get through. Resentment builds and us vs. them sets in.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-06-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If you read my posts, you will have your answer. Here it is, simplified.

You are a minority. You live in a country that espouses equality, but lately there have been mass shootings and harrassment targeting the people like you. An election is coming and you plan to vote.

There are two candidates to choose from. One Democrat. One Republican. The Democrat's formal policies are not what you would like. The Republican's formal policies are more aligned with what you agree is best.

The Democrat supports laws to protect you and your community. He or she denounces outright the hate and believes there needs to be more done to ensure you and those like you have support to feel as safe as everyone else. The Democrat speaks to your community specifically, acknowledging what is happening and focuses time on stopping it.

The Republican refuses to denounce the hatred. He or she calls those people "mostly good". He or she stands in front of the world and calls people from your community or another minority community rapists and murderers.

In the past, your community has suffered horrific tragedy, being beaten, killed, enslaved and/or harassed. You remember when hateful words about your community turned into animosity, turning into random violence, that turned into socially acceptable, daily violence that turned into mass murder or genocide. You want to be left alone to live your limited life in peace. You want the people you love to be safe from attack.

It's time to vote. You weigh your options. You can vote for the candidate who will promote less government, less spending...the Republican that supports your formal policies on non-social issues. Or you can vote for the candidate that does not support smaller government or less spending, but fully supports lawmaking that specifically protects you and your community, equality to say, get married and/or supports proactive policies meant to give you and your community peace of mind.

Ideology comes second to survival. So you vote for the person who thinks you are just as important as anyone else and deserve to spend your limited time on Earth with the same peace and opportunity as everyone else. You spend inordinate amounts of time trying to speak to those outside your community about how unsafe and fearful your daily life is because of policies and rhetoric from the other candidate or party. But they just can't understand "how can you support a political philosophy that wants to create dependency and control the sweaty masses?" No matter how much back and forth, nothing you say registers. You begin to think they want to see you oppressed, done away with or victimized, even if you agree with their formal policies on economic and governing policies. You feel even less supported, protected or heard. You give up even trying to get through. Resentment builds and us vs. them sets in.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.
I don't want anyone here to think I blame them personally for anything. No one should feel guilty by simply existing. I am, by nature, a pretty passionate person, particularly about my home and birth state of Georgia. I hope that comes across in my comments. I only have intent to be a part of the solution. I am simply asking you to try to look a little deeper than just Democrat or Republican. Consider the residual effects to get the governing "policies" you want. Consider the suffering caused. Know that the second a political candidate demonizes even one minority group on TV, everything changes for some Americans. And vote your conscience. But protect America and democracy first.

To give you a little insight into the daily life of what this feels like and how it affects a family...because of the Virginia election (and some other events since 2016), my immediate family is moving back to Los Angeles before 2024, just in case Donald Trump is elected again. We don't feel safe here anymore. Something undemocratic is brewing. You can feel it. I can't live in a red state and go through that again. Peace of mind is not a moment. It's all day long.

And that's messed up. We are good people.

But it is what it is, for now.

Last edited by AtlantaRising; 11-07-2021 at 06:16 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 01:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
I don't want anyone here to think I blame them personally for anything. No one should feel guilty by simply existing. I am, by nature, a pretty passionate person, particularly about my home and birth state of Georgia. I hope that comes across in my comments. I only have intent to be a part of the solution. I am simply asking you to try to look a little deeper than just Democrat or Republican. Consider the residual effects to get the governing "policies" you want. Consider the suffering caused. Know that the second a political candidate demonizes even one minority group on TV, everything changes for some Americans. And vote your conscience. But protect America and democracy first.

To give you a little insight into the daily life of what this feels like and how it affects a family...because of the Virginia election (and some other events since 2016), my immediate family is moving back to Los Angeles before 2024, just in case Donald Trump is elected again. We don't feel safe here anymore. Something undemocratic is brewing. You can feel it. I can't live in a red state and go through that again. Peace of mind is not a moment. It's all day long.

And that's messed up. We are good people.

But it is what it is, for now.
It’s very unfortunate that recent political events in a state like Virginia have made your family feel unsafe living in a traditionally conservative state like Georgia.

But it should not be all that surprising that a state like Virginia has elected Republicans to statewide offices like Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General.

That is because recent major elections in the state (in which intense voter dislike of Donald Trump’s often-abrasive and demagogic personality played a very strong role in driving up voter participation to unprecedented highs on behalf of Democrats) during the 2017 gubernatorial, 2018 congressional mid-term and 2020 presidential election cycles likely gave many the false impression that Virginia was much bluer of a state than it actually is.

Virginia is actually much more of a bluish-purple or purple-purple state than the blue state that many mistakenly may have thought that it was after the Democratic Party successes of the ‘17, ‘18 and ‘20 election cycles, it’s just that Democrats were able to ride widespread anti-Trump sentiment (especially in the state’s larger metropolitan areas like the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia, Hampton Roads, Richmond and Charlottesville) to a statewide majority in the late 2010’s.

Even neighboring Maryland (which even as a seemingly decidedly bluer state than Virginia) may elect Republicans to statewide offices as evidenced by Larry Hogan who is nearing the end of his second term as a popular Republican governor in a state where Democrats have supermajority control of the state legislature. (2 of Maryland’s last 3 governors have been Republicans.)

It also should not be all that surprising that a state like Virginia has elected Republicans to statewide offices like Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General because of the major scandals involving the Democrats who were elected to those offices in 2017.

Those major scandals included incidents the Democratic governor and attorney general were found to have worn blackface in the past and where the black Democratic Lt. governor (who was once considered to be a rising star in Virginia and national politics and whom many thought might could be a serious candidate for governor in 2021) was credibly accused of committing rape while a student at Duke University back in the late 1990’s.

The embarrassing scandals amongst Democratic officials in 3 of Virginia’s top statewide officials very likely left a bad taste in the mouths of many Virginia voters and created a huge opening for Republicans to take back control of one of the chambers of the Virginia state legislature (the House of Delegates) and 3 top state offices (governor, Lt. governor and attorney general).

It wasn’t just national factors (like President Biden’s diving approval ratings, the continued energy in the Republican base, the energizing of suburban moderates with the conservative emphasis on issues like Critical Race Theory, mask and vaccine mandates in schools, etc.), but it was also local factors like the blackface and rape scandals amongst the Democrats holding the top 3 statewide offices and the Democrats’ running of a retread candidate in former Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe (who is not the most charismatic or most appealing candidate) that played a major role in helping a seeming blue (but really purple) Virginia revert back to Republican control during the 2021 statewide elections there.

But even with Republicans regaining control over Virginia state government and politics, and even with many rural parts of the state (like the mountains of western Virginia, the foothills of central Virginia, etc.) being deep red, Virginia is still by no stretch of the imagination a deep red state as a whole.

Virginia may have elected a Republican to the Governor’s office for the first time since 2009, but Virginia as a whole (largely because of the presence of the increasingly cosmopolitan Northern Virginia D.C. suburbs) still is not in the same league of deep political/social/cultural conservatism as much of the rest of red-state America (including much of the area of the roughly 10 other former states of the confederacy).

And with the continued growth and demographic diversification of a large major metropolitan area like Atlanta, a state like Georgia is not nearly as deep red as it might have been considered to be in the not-too-distant past.

While there obviously still are some highly visible culturally conservative elements present throughout various parts of the area, the continued growth and demographic diversification of the Atlanta metropolitan area has that critically important part of the state and the state of Georgia as a whole trending decidedly away from the deep conservative political domination of the past and more towards the likely future political control (and maybe even future domination) of a governing coalition of moderates and progressives.

Georgia obviously is nowhere in the league of a decidedly left-leaning state like California, but with a population that is about exactly 50% white/50% minority population (changed from about 70% white/30% minority in 1990 and before) Georgia is also nowhere near being in the same league as decidedly super-conservative Southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, etc., and is an increasingly diverse state that continues to trend even more diverse and move rapidly towards ‘majority-minority’ status (if the state has not achieved that status already) where racial and ethnic minorities make up a majority of the population.

(Georgia, which is about 50-50 minority/white, is at least 10 percentage points more diverse than Virginia, which is roughly 60-40 white/minority.)

In metro Atlanta (which is home to the largest metropolitan black population in the U.S. outside of New York), numerous suburban counties have changed political control from white Republicans to black and minority Democrats over the past 13 years or so (including Rockdale, Newton, Henry, Douglas, Gwinnett and Cobb) because of ongoing demographic shifts.

I understand the discomfort that many progressives and even some moderates might feel living in such a state with a history of deep cultural conservatism like Georgia, but rapidly changing demographics seriously appear to have the state moving quickly and decidedly away from that history of deep cultural conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia