Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 07:40 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Without seeing that list, I would have guessed Baltimore to have more than Las Vegas and Houston. Or at least be up there with Seattle because obviously, outside of Baltimore City, the suburbs of the Mid Atlantic do get very spread out. But I do get the logic of what you're saying. Baltimore MSA is only 2.7 million while the others are at least over 5 million ( I think Boston MSA is 5 million).
Boston is at 4.9 M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 10:30 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
We'll see about that

Climate change be damned. More Americans are moving to high-risk areas
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/succe...ing/index.html

"I think people continue to put [climate risk] in the back of their minds. I think there are people that will do anything to be on the ocean and the coast of Florida and nothing, nothing will deter them," said Durkin.

'Still, home sales in Palm Beach and Miami, are up 270% and 133%, respectively, since last year, according to Douglas Elliman.'

"Counterintuitively, people are moving to places with higher climate risk," said Daryl Fairweather, chief economist at Redfin. "And it seems like climate change, although it's something that people care about, is at the bottom of the list or it's not the top priority."
I think what people don’t realize is people don’t care about 30 years from now. Unless Miami is going to be underwater, like in 2026 people are gonna move there

Old 08-25-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think what people don’t realize is people don’t care about 30 years from now. Unless Miami is going to be underwater, like in 2026 people are gonna move there
General Joe Schmoe might not care, local governments and developers increasingly do. It will have an effect in price and overall availability within the decade, is my guess. But the pandemic and he rise of remote work may work in Miami's favor, but again.. It not been growing at a sensational rate as is.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:35 AM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There's a renewed -really, never seen before urgency at this moment- Id would imagine this has to slow development and scale back projects at the very least, if not have some scrapped in the very near future.

We'll see about that

Climate change be damned. More Americans are moving to high-risk areas
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/succe...ing/index.html

"I think people continue to put [climate risk] in the back of their minds. I think there are people that will do anything to be on the ocean and the coast of Florida and nothing, nothing will deter them," said Durkin.

'Still, home sales in Palm Beach and Miami, are up 270% and 133%, respectively, since last year, according to Douglas Elliman.'

"Counterintuitively, people are moving to places with higher climate risk," said Daryl Fairweather, chief economist at Redfin. "And it seems like climate change, although it's something that people care about, is at the bottom of the list or it's not the top priority."

Old 08-25-2021, 11:13 AM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
General Joe Schmoe might not care, local governments and developers increasingly do. It will have an effect in price and overall availability within the decade, is my guess. But the pandemic and he rise of remote work may work in Miami's favor, but again.. It not been growing at a sensational rate as is.

Sensational rate compared to where? Have any numbers for your claim? The entire metro area is completely built out. Any amount of growth is going toward the sky. That's really all that matters to the people who truly know the kind of things that brings to the area.

New Miami Apartment Buildings Are Filling Up As Fast As Elevators Will Allow
https://www.thenextmiami.com/new-mia...rs-will-allow/

"Demand for rental apartments in the area is so strong that the only limitation to how fast the new apartment buildings in Miami are filled is elevator capacity for tenant move-ins, the report said."

Old 08-25-2021, 11:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Sure, but at some point, banks aren't going to write mortgages on those properties because they end up eating all the risk. It's only a matter of time before flood insurance ends up reflecting the actual risk. It's inevitable that laws will change so the vast majority of the country isn't subsidizing bad choices of the few. Musical chairs. You don't want to own property when the music stops and the bottom drops out.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Sensational rate compared to where? Have any numbers for your claim? The entire metro area is completely built out. Any amount of growth is going toward the sky. That's really all that matters to the people who truly know the kind of things that brings to the area.

New Miami Apartment Buildings Are Filling Up As Fast As Elevators Will Allow
https://www.thenextmiami.com/new-mia...rs-will-allow/

"Demand for rental apartments in the area is so strong that the only limitation to how fast the new apartment buildings in Miami are filled is elevator capacity for tenant move-ins, the report said."
the metro grew by 10.3 percent in line with Minneapolis.... and below Tampa, Denver, Charlotte, Portland, san Antonio, Jacksonville, Columbus Indianapolis, Sacramento and many others. The nation grew by 7.5%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Much of Miami is low slung and somewhat inland, I would imagine those areas would have to begin growing moving forward it makes more cost-effective sense. Especially with the gentrification of Miami.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:37 PM

208 posts, read 146,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sure, but at some point, banks aren't going to write mortgages on those properties because they end up eating all the risk. It's only a matter of time before flood insurance ends up reflecting the actual risk. It's inevitable that laws will change so the vast majority of the country isn't subsidizing bad choices of the few. Musical chairs. You don't want to own property when the music stops and the bottom drops out.
Unless the mortgages are jumbo loans, they all get moved onto taxpayers via Fannie and Freddie and Ginnie, and they are not going to care about 30 years in the future, especially with the voting power of florida.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:50 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I'm no Miami booster, but to me it makes sense that people would continue moving into the towers there even as rising sea levels loom. The city actually becoming uninhabitable is still a few decades off, and apartments are low-commitment. Why not enjoy Miami while you still can? I could actually see the rising sea levels making it more attractive in that way.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:59 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Yea, the density numbers might be lower or higher than expected for any host of reasons like inclusion of non-residential areas which I suspect might be the case with that area since it's a lot of attached multi-floor buildings. That and/or maybe a higher level of vacancy? The structures can still be around for a while even if they aren't occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.