Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 06:41 AM

102 posts, read 117,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
They should sell. I'm sure there is demand, or all the properties are underwater? You want me to believe they're stuck there?. If you don't own-move. I don't care how "uneducated" it is. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I understand people are raised and don't want to move but yea... in an ideal world they organize and get their local and state government to assist some sort of relocation- I can only dream. But what I do know is it's not impossible to abandon a coastal area or any area for that matter. Its happened plenty of times over human history. Places become untenable, we move. Its nature.
I don't know if I'm following here. You want people to move to safer locations off the coast by...selling their homes to other people so they can live there instead?

What about the people buying the homes? Aren't they in danger now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 07:13 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
I don't know if I'm following here. You want people to move to safer locations off the coast by...selling their homes to other people so they can live there instead?

What about the people buying the homes? Aren't they in danger now?
Not everyone needs to sell a home, plenty of renters.

I think the point he was trying to make is that if life is going to become that unpredictable and unsafe then get out by all means. At that point you may not be able to sell your home, as there wouldn't be a market to sell it in anymore.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:20 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
The thing is life is becoming unpredictable all over the place. Ida is doing as much damage up north as it did in the south. Wild fires in the west is now a yearly thing.

I don't know why we are blaming the gulf coast like the population there is new. The only new thing is the world is getting warmer. That is what needs to be targeted

Old 09-02-2021, 07:26 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Interesting...I know there's small lots in DFW as well and zoning is in place. I wonder which area has smaller lots on average.
Zoning results in larger lots than people want to pay for in a free market, ie Houston. Zoning protects the values of those in large lot close in neighborhoods and slows the pace or rate that change in use happens when the market condition are right to do so.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:39 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

every year I'm like "and they still move back *sigh*

I don't have sympathy to give every year for people who make these silly choices. I feel indifferent until it's constantly in the news then I get selfishly mildly annoyed.
Were those decisions really silly in 1718, when New Orleans was founded?

That's the problem: many of these vulnerable places represent a HUUUUGE sunk investment. It would be quite the undertaking to move New Orleans upriver.

And just about any city on the East Coast where oceangoing ships can dock is probably now just as vulnerable (he writes as the edge of a tropical low dumped enough water to send the Schuylkill to its highest crest ever, swamping several riverside neighborhoods that are indeed used to flooding, but not on this scale). That includes Boston, which doesn't get whacked by hurricanes all that often, granted, but has been through a few.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 AM

626 posts, read 463,132 times
Quote:

Percentage, bud.

Should I name the other too 10-ish metros added more people- Atlanta DC Dallas Houston NYC and Phoenix?

Who you tryna fool? It's not doing growth numbers like that. We can see that.

Your earlier statement was misleading and this one is too. The Atlanta, D.C., Phoenix, Dallas, Houston and NYC metros might of gained more people than Miami in this recent Census but other than those metros Miami gained more people than every other metro in the U.S. How exactly is it "not doing growth numbers like that?"

I'd say the Miami metro's growth from 2010-2020 is even more impressive than at first glance since the entire metro has been completely built out with no place left to build anywhere for like two decades now. It's the only metro in the entire U.S. that can't sprawl outwards anymore cause it's been hemmed in by all those Everglades preserves. The only place left to build is in the sky, which they are doing like crazy down there. It seems like all those other Sun Belt metros do is sprawl and are actually somehow getting less and less dense every day when looking at their whole metro's density numbers.

Add that to the fact that the Miami metro's cost of living is higher than most of the metros you listed and that people don't move there for jobs as a first priority as much as those metros either, and it's growth numbers since 2010 really just shows how truly desirable the Miami metro is.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:30 AM

3,572 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The thing is life is becoming unpredictable all over the place. Ida is doing as much damage up north as it did in the south. Wild fires in the west is now a yearly thing.

I don't know why we are blaming the gulf coast like the population there is new. The only new thing is the world is getting warmer. That is what needs to be targeted
It may be "unpredictable" in many places, but hurricanes and destruction along the Gulf Coast IS predictable.

And Ida did NOT do as much damage up north as in the south. Not even close.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:39 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Now you're shifting the goal post, because when I compared to a bunch of other Metros that it grew slower than it was ‘oh well Miami added more people (yea it's a big metro..)’ so then I compare to more similar size metros and it's ‘well they got more than everyone else (yea they're big metros’)- I'm not talking about everyone else though. I'm talking about similarly sized metros now. Miami grew 7 fastest out of 11 (since you're focused on raw number). I don't know why I have to be impressed. Grew slowly for it's region.

And it doesn't have a higher cost of living in DC or New York which both grew faster or Seattle which added just as many people despite being a much smaller metro. You're talking like Miami has to grow more 10,000 people per square mile Census tracts because it's completely built out of the Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean and while that may be true Boston and Philadelphia are not going to be building on any of that woodland.. that wouldn't and that's not going to be built on. Usually can't be built on it's protected- so I just don't see Miami passing Boston in Philadelphia and 10000ppsqmI census tracts until 2040. Both Boston and Philly are doing well now and look to be improving.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
It may be "unpredictable" in many places, but hurricanes and destruction along the Gulf Coast IS predictable.

And Ida did NOT do as much damage up north as in the south. Not even close.
Why does this even need to be said!

If people think going back to rebuild New Orleans again isn't crazy then idk, you can donate to the relief efforts... get the city back to functional but don't literally rebuild non essential buildings that were destroyed. people who lost everything, stay away!In an ideal world the city can up and move.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Were those decisions really silly in 1718, when New Orleans was founded?

That's the problem: many of these vulnerable places represent a HUUUUGE sunk investment. It would be quite the undertaking to move New Orleans upriver.

And just about any city on the East Coast where oceangoing ships can dock is probably now just as vulnerable (he writes as the edge of a tropical low dumped enough water to send the Schuylkill to its highest crest ever, swamping several riverside neighborhoods that are indeed used to flooding, but not on this scale). That includes Boston, which doesn't get whacked by hurricanes all that often, granted, but has been through a few.
you're gonna compare natural disaster risk n philly to nola? Why? Not comparable.

Yeah if course I understand you can't actually move NOLA in a few years, and some gumption...but ppl can, will, and have always resttled when climate conditions became untenable. It's nothing new or far fetched. they don't have to all move together either...

Individuals also have choices. Most of us could migrate if our live depended on it-bunch if people did it for Katrina-it can be done. Weve seen it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.