Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2021, 01:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Sheesh! DC metro undercounted by 55k as well.

You correctly predicted this Nostradamus. Let's start giving MDAllStar his flowers on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 04:59 PM

102 posts, read 117,808 times
If I am reading that study correctly, New York state was undercounted by 224,638 people.

New York lost a congressional seat because they couldn't find another 89 people.

Although, how accurate is that study anyways?

Old 11-03-2021, 07:02 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
If I am reading that study correctly, New York state was undercounted by 224,638 people.

New York lost a congressional seat because they couldn't find another 89 people.

Although, how accurate is that study anyways?
Nobody knows. I’d be inclined to trust the Census more than random people will access to way less information.

There is no reason to trust these numbers more than the census other than you want them to be true.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Nobody knows. I’d be inclined to trust the Census more than random people will access to way less information.

There is no reason to trust these numbers more than the census other than you want them to be true.
Can’t speak for large jurisdictions that don’t operate as a state/county/city, but DC has access to information at all three levels giving it an unprecedented amount of data that no other jurisdiction in the nation controls to the same degree.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

You correctly predicted this Nostradamus. Let's start giving MDAllStar his flowers on C-D.
Thanks! The District government planned to challenge these results as soon as they were released.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
This would mean the DC metro grew a full percentage point faster at 14% instead of 13% last decade.

Updated Top 5 Numerical Gains from 2010 to 2020:

DAL: +1,270,845
NYC: +1,243,361
HOU: +1,201,824
ATL: +803,087
DC: +790,943 (includes 55k undercount)

The caveat is the extra from the undercount comes from the Urban Institute's data rather than the Census. It will be interesting to see post Census estimates again for all of these places and their sustained growth.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:22 PM

Can someone please explain to me how the Urban Institute can claim Minnesota was over counted by .76% rather than their model simply not being super accurate to fractions of a percent?

Like his can the census possibly produce an over count? Seems like errors can only cut one way in the census

Old 11-04-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Can someone please explain to me how the Urban Institute can claim Minnesota was over counted by .76% rather than their model simply not being super accurate to fractions of a percent?

Like his can the census possibly produce an over count? Seems like errors can only cut one way in the census
Probably has something to do with cities and "urban centers" being undercount, vs the other areas that are non-urban could reflect over estimations. So at a state level you obviously have to account properly for both urban and rural dynamics.

There also could be some level of over/under counting of either domestic or international migration patterns. I think either of those being counted off over the course of 10 years makes a big difference. I could see some possibility that the Census Bureau might not perfectly capture immigration/migration data at the moment data of release, especially if dealing with a number of other federal agencies on different timelines with providing their data.

Last edited by the resident09; 11-04-2021 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-04-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Probably has something to do with cities and "urban centers" being undercount, vs the other areas that are non-urban could reflect over estimations. So at a state level you obviously have to account properly for both urban and rural dynamics.

There also could be some level of over/under counting of either domestic or international migration patterns. I think either of those being counted off over the course of 10 years makes a big difference. I could see some possibility that the Census Bureau might not perfectly capture immigration/migration data at the moment data of release, especially if dealing with a number of other federal agencies on different timelines with providing their data.
But they don’t do trends and stuff. It’s a count. All that trend line stuff is how you get the 2020 estimates. You can miss people or maybe mom from Eden Prarie counts her not Danny who moved to St Paul in Fall 2019 at home or something, but I don’t see how a pretty large overcount is possible.

But I don’t see how a systemic overcount is possible to the tune of almost 1%.

I think there is no good reason to pick the Urban Institute numbers over the census other than the fact you want DC to have more people than the census says

Old 11-04-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
But they don’t do trends and stuff. It’s a count. All that trend line stuff is how you get the 2020 estimates. You can miss people or maybe mom from Eden Prarie counts her not Danny who moved to St Paul in Fall 2019 at home or something, but I don’t see how a pretty large overcount is possible.

But I don’t see how a systemic overcount is possible to the tune of almost 1%.

I think there is no good reason to pick the Urban Institute numbers over the census other than the fact you want DC to have more people than the census says
All population counts are just a snapshot in time though. Census numbers will always be considered the official numbers, but even official numbers are never a flawless total count, as we all know. This goes for anywhere. Do you think every Census that comes out has the exact total that the population actually was on that day? No, it's just the most accurate possible count of what is deemed to be the current population of a place.

DC was an undercount, not an overcount like Minnesota so that's contradicting your point. It's a state masquerading as a city. Many states like Texas and Mississippi were undercount too. DC was just under count the most, and missing it by 2% certainly warrants recognition that the official Census count was off some. Each of those places has high Black populations that tend to historically be undercount, this isn't some urban myth. The numbers are the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.