Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Anyone, numbers geeks:

Are there many MSAs that grew by 20% despite losing Black population, where the principle city grew by 25% despite also losing Black population, with a large white population increase in both metro and city, but the diversity index increased by 3 or more points?

Someone mentioned that they care only about the rate of growth. How large does the population of a place have to be for the rate of growth to be exciting or at least interesting?

Someone else said something to the effect that population gain is just a number until you find out the demographics behind the number; that is, what are the new education and income levels, etc., of the place after those numbers come in?

In my city/metro’s case (Charleston, S.C.), besides the fact that for the last decade we have been named the #1 travel destination in the nation by readers of both Travel & Leisure and Condé Nast magazines - and my Uber-driver neighbor told me that by far the most common thing her out-of-town passengers say to her is that they want to move here - Wallet Hub just named us #2 behind Orlando on their list of the best places to retire, and LinkedIn just named us #2 on their list of “larger metros” where remote workers are choosing to live.

So, it seems to me that when the rest of the demographic information is in, Charleston stands to have some additional data to show off. Now if we can just get a little more traction in non South Carolina CD threads.
I am not sure why the first part of your post is paired with the second part of your post. Are you saying that Charleston grew and lost black population, or are these two things not related to each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 09:15 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
In-depth 2020 Racial Demography available online from the Census for major cities and states, but nto including Hispanic data.

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...NNIALPL2020.P1

So far I dont see any other data from the 2020 census on their site, besides Race.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:18 AM

379 posts, read 468,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In-depth 2020 Racial Demography available online from the Census for major cities and states, but nto including Hispanic data.

https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table...NNIALPL2020.P1

So far I dont see any other data from the 2020 census on their site, besides Race.
Are stats available for the different ethnic groups, eg, Chinese, Indian, Korean etc? I can’t figure out the census site for the life of me

Old 09-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Are stats available for the different ethnic groups, eg, Chinese, Indian, Korean etc? I can’t figure out the census site for the life of me
nope, but this was the day stuff was to be made available. they pushed it up from Sept 30th. Maybe later in the day.

We might not see anything useful like that until next summer

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv.../schedule.html

Old 09-16-2021, 02:11 PM

386 posts, read 266,665 times
In 2010, The New York Times and Washington Post published interactive maps showing increase and decrease of population by race for the different census tracts. Does anyone know if they’ll be able to do that this year with the changes to how the data was released due to privacy concerns?

Old 09-17-2021, 08:04 AM

they didnt do a 2020 ACS survey, they haven't updated censusreporter or quickfacts. Safe to say don't expect any interesting information until at least December if not June 2022.

They're underselling how badly the pandemic affected the Census- they have to be.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:31 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
In 2010, The New York Times and Washington Post published interactive maps showing increase and decrease of population by race for the different census tracts. Does anyone know if they’ll be able to do that this year with the changes to how the data was released due to privacy concerns?
Houston Chronicle has something similar for the 2020 census for the U.S but it requires a subscription.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanboysenberry View Post
How do you mean? California is #1 in Hispanic, White, Native American, Asian, multiracial, and Other race populations, #2 in Pacific Islander populations, and #5 in Black population, which is to be expected since it's #1 in overall population. Also, its 2020 Census diversity index is higher than Texas, though Texas is not far behind. Both are extremely racially-diverse states but using the national ranking of a state's raw population numbers to assess the well-roundedness of a state's racial demographics doesn't make much sense.
Exactly. +1

Old 09-18-2021, 11:10 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
The Quickfacts Census site seems to be down for some reason

Old 11-03-2021, 10:43 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Nearly 14,400 Washingtonians Weren’t Counted in the Census, New Report Says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.