Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 02:53 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

When citydata going update population numbers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 03:24 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I will say of all places... Nantucket is one of the most likely for an undercount. Its so seasonal and so much is under the table there-by design. But some of the diversity shows up in the census. Nantucket is 16% Latino and 7% Black (non-mixed race).
Exactly. And there is a large population that is no longer seasonal, but string together a livelihood for the entire year. Hence, the surge in student in population.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:30 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It’s not the billionaires and ultra-wealthy causing the increase. They are mostly considered part-timers and not counted in the census.

It’s the workers, service providers, and small business owners, living there year-round and sustaining the playground for the billionaires/ultra-wealthy, that are causing the increase.

Nantucket is very socio-economically diverse. I always describe it as “Framingham-in-the-Sea” or “Somerville-in-the-Sea.”
Not really, there has been little to no new construction in Nantucket (155 units since 2010), which would be about 400 pdople. Its mostly people moving there or changing permanent residences to full time on the island. Or like other posters have said, when the census people knock on your door.. they do not care what car license plates you have or what state your license is... was in NC working from home and I was counted in Greensboro instead of Boston during the census.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:36 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not really, there has been little to no new construction in Nantucket (155 units since 2010), which would be about 400 pdople. Its mostly people moving there or changing permanent residences to full time on the island. Or like other posters have said, when the census people knock on your door.. they do not care what car license plates you have or what state your license is... was in NC working from home and I was counted in Greensboro instead of Boston during the census.
No. No, no, no.

Do you know about the housing situation on Nantucket? Are you just making stuff up? There is rarely much new construction on ACK—and that’s part of the problem.

The working class/underclass/struggling class on Nantucket are cramming/making do in basements, one rooms, unauthorized abodes, etc.

It’s called the “Nantucket Shuffle” among other things.

My god.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:46 PM

824 posts, read 713,771 times
Alexander County, Illinois, where Cairo is, seems to have lost the most population of any county in the USA by far. It lost almost 38% of its population from 2010-2020, which was worse than the 30% loss predicted(which in turn was the worst estimated population loss of any county).

It seems like the US census bureau underestimated rural population loss in Illinois and overestimated urban area loss.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No. No, no, no.

Do you know about the housing situation on Nantucket? Are you just making stuff up? There is rarely much new construction on ACK—and that’s part of the problem.

The working class/underclass/struggling class on Nantucket are cramming/making do in basements, one rooms, unauthorized abodes, etc.

My god.
Well yes that’s definitely part of the increase. But if you cant have sources to back this up, then i can't take this assessment with complete accuracy.

Seemingly, the ethnic breakdown of Nantucket hasnt changed all that much either. A 40% increase, in all minorities, would have effectively made Nantucket 52-58% white. Its over 71% white.

Either switched in primary residences (possible Undercount) or a complete undercount of existing residents from 2010. Im not saying part of the increase was from your reasoning.. but if that were the case, we would have seen a huge demographic switch.. especially from a 40% increase in population.

Population: 10,172 --> 14,255, in that time, 78% White --> 71% White, or 7,980 --> 10,121 white people. Thats over 50% of the increase on the island. Im not concluding no white people are low income workers on the insland, but thats not the norm. Most of the increase (>50%) came from rich folk transplanting to Nantucket either switching their primary residences or people shelling away during OVID (When the covid surveys went out...)

If ALL of that increase was from Brasilian, Central American etc migrant workers... Nantucket would be upwards of 1/4 Hispanic/Latino by now. It is not. Therefore, until it is proven otherwise, Nantucket's 41% growth was not ALL, but partially, from migrant workers of Hispanic/Latino, Black or Asian origin.

Also, I have three family members who switched their residency in 2020 to Nantucket lol. That was 12 non-Hispanic white people and 3 hispanic/latino americans from Weston/Canton/Dover who switched their residency to Nantucket uring their residency to ACK from BOSMSA. When I was in Nantucket in June, many people in fact did do that as well. You cant use preconceived, borderline untrue, assessments on a place you heard of.

Im not calling you a liar or what you said is untrue, but a statement like that needs to be backed up with some sort of supporting documentation. initially, that is what I thought could have happened, but the statistics prove otherwise.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 08-13-2021 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2021, 04:13 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,575,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I wouldn't use the word "reign" for such a small difference..
Correct the two are effectively tied in a dead heat, which will almost certainly switch places in one year, the only other question would be as 18Montclair points out will the Bay Area add Monterey County next year and jump to #3.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:36 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
Alexander County, Illinois, where Cairo is, seems to have lost the most population of any county in the USA by far. It lost almost 38% of its population from 2010-2020, which was worse than the 30% loss predicted(which in turn was the worst estimated population loss of any county).

It seems like the US census bureau underestimated rural population loss in Illinois and overestimated urban area loss.
That's one of the first ones I check and that percent drop at a county level is staggering. More than twice as bad as the fastest shrinking county in Eastern Kentucky.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:20 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
No. No, no, no.

My god.
Aries is right especially about the bolded. It happens on the vineyard and the cape too.

Probably more like 65% white. Rich people do move there too

Old 08-13-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Aries is right especially about the bolded. It happens on the vineyard and the cape too.

Probably more like 65% white. Rich people do move there too
yeah definitely both but the nantucket shuffle did not make up all of the growth like he stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.