Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 09:26 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Only problem is those numbers don't give you the non-hispanic figures. It includes hispanics in all their data AND gives you the Hispanic popoulation.
There is a column for Non-Hispanic White in the list of places in a state, once you scroll down below the map. It is true that the site doesn't break down the Black, Native American, Asian, etc. populations by Hispanic vs Non-Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 09:27 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
Are there any interactive maps that include ”non-hispanic white” population numbers by municipality/census tract?

Old 08-13-2021, 09:28 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Interesting tidbit...

Chicago CSA/MSA/City proper still reigns #3 across the board.

By my calculations:

Chicago CSA- 9,986,960
Washington DC-Baltimore CSA- 9,973,383

Both CSA regions were under 30k away from cracking the 10 million mark with Chicagoland 13k ahead. Would have been great to see them both jump 10 million this Census. Great to see that Chicago MSA/CSA did not suffer the population loss predicted.

Again this is by my calculations (which I believe I did not miss anything).

Still waiting for an electrified frequent and through-running commuter rail system turnng MARC and VRE operations into a RER/S-Bahn for DC-Baltimore. Any chance we see that this decade?

Old 08-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Still waiting for an electrified frequent and through-running commuter rail system turnng MARC and VRE operations into a RER/S-Bahn for DC-Baltimore. Any chance we see that this decade?
Getting closer but not quite, MARC specifically is planning to move trains into Northern Virginia once they establish a new Long Bridge that will double capacity in Arlington crossing the Potomac.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a4e_story.html

https://ggwash.org/view/74789/virgin...ridge-crossing

There's also Maglev going through federal review that certainly would cut times between the two tremendously. That's still very up in the air though.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Getting closer but not quite, MARC specifically is planning to move trains into Northern Virginia once they establish a new Long Bridge that will double capacity in Arlington crossing the Potomac.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...a4e_story.html

https://ggwash.org/view/74789/virgin...ridge-crossing

There's also Maglev going through federal review that certainly would cut times between the two tremendously. That's still very up in the air though.

Nice! Hopefully frequency and ridership is good enough that it makes sense to have prices low enough for use as intracity transport within Baltimore.

The maglev seems silly for the station distances involved and given the existing infrastructure already available for more conventional rail. I get it's supposed to be a downpayment on a larger system, but with the great uncertainty of expansion, the project seems a bit weird to me.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Interesting tidbit...

Chicago CSA/MSA/City proper still reigns #3 across the board.

By my calculations:

Chicago CSA- 9,986,960
Washington DC-Baltimore CSA- 9,973,383
I wouldn't use the word "reign" for such a small difference..

Old 08-13-2021, 10:46 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I wouldn't use the word "reign" for such a small difference..
Two separate urban areas that have agglomerated into one region are not quite the same as one central core though. I do think it matters.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Two separate urban areas that have agglomerated into one region are not quite the same as one central core though. I do think it matters.
I am not debating that. It's much easier to grow for an area with 2-heads than an area with just 1, for sure..
I was just talking about the numbers, they are very close.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:04 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Soon as everything is uploaded to data.census.gov, Ill do my usual Demographics thread for 2020.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think that it depends. If two areas are only connected by their far reach suburbia, then you have a point. If they are connected by relevant economic engines, substantial cultural institutions, resources, etc., then I think it's a case by case exercise that requires a working understanding of an area. I don't know that it's always safe to assume that there's inherently any particular advantage or disadvantage to having a singular or multi-core scenario.
Alas, the OMB really only cares about commuting patterns (which is sad in its own right), and official designations will continue to be defined mainly by what we do in our cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.