Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 01:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times

Advertisements

New York City and Miami seem like obvious answers to me.....I'm surprised so few people have mentioned them. Even though the black population isn't that big to begin with in these towns I have heard that there are towns in New England where the overwhelming majority of black folk who live there are African not African American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:13 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
In Houston the Nigerian community is quite large because they were not count foreign born and the Nigerian birth rate is quite high even among wealthy people. For example in my Family including my siblings and parents and my cousins, only my parents, my cousins parents, me my brother and one of my cousins are born in Nigeria. His means only 7/11 people are counted as Nigerian in my family. Also in places like Alief th Nigerian population is so intertwined with the African American population ion that sometimes you can't even tell if someone is a first generation Nigerian or African American. If you go to soccer fields in and around Houston or see Charter schools etc. The population of Nigerians is huge apparent. Now 300,000 if you include all ththe Nigerians that go in and out of Houston and donthis live here, very possible. In Nigerian American culture it is often that people who are thinking of moving into their area will stay at a relatives place for free for several months instead of renting, so when I say visit Houston I mean spend 2-4 months of their year every few years or even every year in Houston to vacation or think about relocating or a secondary house.

The area closest to dominated by Nigerians is Sugar Land, Mo City and Richmond may have more Nigerians and than SL and Alief is several times larger but these areas dominant black culture by far is African American. In South Katy AA still dominates culturally but numerically the Nigerian Population is closing in on them. Most Katy kids at public high schools probably know a few Nigerian people or have met a few.
No city is as dominantly Nigerian outside of Nigeria as Accra or London though.
I think the actual Nigerian Population is closer to 100,000 than to 300,000.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
New York City and Miami seem like obvious answers to me.....I'm surprised so few people have mentioned them. Even though the black population isn't that big to begin with in these towns I have heard that there are towns in New England where the overwhelming majority of black folk who live there are African not African American.
There are also people with Caribbean roots in some New England cities and towns.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Miami has a large African-Caribbean population that is probably headlined by the significant Haitian community. Of course, Miami also has a large African-Caribbean community among its Cuban population as well and among a variety of other island nation immigrants/settlers.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
The only places where non AA black culture dominates is the Miami area

NYC area is debateable.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are also people with Caribbean roots in some New England cities and towns.
% of Black adults that are foreign born:

Brooklyn: 46%
Queens: 42%
Nassau County, NY: 37%
Suffolk County, NY: 27%
Essex County, NJ: 26%

Hartford County, CT: 31%
Miami-Dade County, FL:39%

Boston: 38%
Washington, DC: 8.15
Philadelphia: 7.5%
Chicago: 4%

Last edited by nei; 01-19-2017 at 01:28 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The only places where non AA black culture dominates is the Miami area

NYC area is debateable.
Hmm, I wouldn't say non AA black culture "dominates" Miami either, as African Americans are still the majority of the black population--something like 2/3 of it, depending on how you want to define it (and I'd say "African-Americans" are those black folks, regardless of origin, that are at least second-generation predominately English-speaking individuals). Think Uncle Luke, Trick Daddy, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson, etc. Miami, New York and DC are simply the metros where it's not a guarantee that most blacks are second-generation and later. But they're not exactly dominated by AA Caribbean culture, either. No place in the US is.

"The Miami metro area has the largest share of black immigrants. Thirty four percent of the black population in Miami are immigrants compared to 28 percent in New York and 15 percent in Washington.

More than 28,000 native-born Jamaicans live in Miami-Dade County. But it’s not the greatest source of black immigrants. That honor goes to Haiti – with more than 70,000 residents – which accounts for nearly half of the black immigrant population in the Miami metro area."

As Caribbean immigration rises, Miami

Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Miami, New York and DC are simply the metros where it's not a guarantee that most blacks are second-generation and later.
DC doesn't belong in that category. Blacks there are overwhelmingly the descendants of American slaves. You should replace DC with Boston.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
DC doesn't belong in that category. Blacks there are overwhelmingly the descendants of American slaves. You should replace DC with Boston.
Added DC to my list

Old 01-19-2017, 08:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't say non AA black culture "dominates" Miami either, as African Americans are still the majority of the black population--something like 2/3 of it, depending on how you want to define it (and I'd say "African-Americans" are those black folks, regardless of origin, that are at least second-generation predominately English-speaking individuals). Think Uncle Luke, Trick Daddy, Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson, etc. Miami, New York and DC are simply the metros where it's not a guarantee that most blacks are second-generation and later. But they're not exactly dominated by AA Caribbean culture, either. No place in the US is.

"The Miami metro area has the largest share of black immigrants. Thirty four percent of the black population in Miami are immigrants compared to 28 percent in New York and 15 percent in Washington.

More than 28,000 native-born Jamaicans live in Miami-Dade County. But it’s not the greatest source of black immigrants. That honor goes to Haiti – with more than 70,000 residents – which accounts for nearly half of the black immigrant population in the Miami metro area."

As Caribbean immigration rises, Miami
I would interested to see the census introduce black ethncities like they do for Asians and Latinos so we can get accurate numbers for the different black ethnicities.

As for Miami, African American refers to those of African descent who have antebellum roots in the US, not just any English speaking native born black. With that in mind I'd be interested to see just how large the African American population is in Miami, especially considering how many of the "African Americans" there are of Bahamian descent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.