Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:04 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,871 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the list of the most violent cities and there was one thing in common- a large African American population. Is there a link between African American dominated Cities and violent crime? Or is the crime a result of other factors in those cities such as the climate, economic conditions, poor police, a higher percentage of crime that is actually reported, or a number of other factors.

This is a sincere questions and not meant to get anyone angry in any way. I am just sincerely curious.

America's Most Murderous Cities - Forbes.com

Old 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,605,366 times
That is a good question. I suppose we would have to locate a city that has a majority of African-Americans who does not have a high crime rate to use as a reference.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM

36,662 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Well,
the experience and history of African Americans has been different from that of whites in general so I think for us to single out the fact that many of these cities are dominated by African Americans really oversimplifies the issue. I think its a very sensitive topic but I do believe it deserves some discussion.

It appears that this many blacks perpetuate a cycle of violence that stems from decades of racism, poverty and poor education. The streets sometimes offers a quicker and more tangible solution than hitting the books.

I wonder what can be done. Or do we have no choice but to let this segment of society kill itself off? Im not so sure anymore. It is also worth mentioning that millions of African Americans are steadily climbing the ranks as far as income and wealth. Its not all negative although I wish there more we could do to help those who are falling between the cracks.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,923,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
That is a good question. I suppose we would have to locate a city that has a majority of African-Americans who does not have a high crime rate to use as a reference.
Miramar, Florida (FL) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders Some years worse than others, but overall not high and mostly (technically not majority however) AA. Interesting to note a relatively high median income (compared to most similar communities) and also a high West Indian population (different history from American born blacks).

Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
This thread has disaster written all over it.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,663,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
This thread has disaster written all over it.
Agreed. I'm just waiting for the racial bickering to ensue.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,357,697 times
Sorry to break it to you, but the world is not so simple...

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,771,805 times
i'd look at income of mostly AA areas. Here in the DC area, Bowie/Lake Arbor/Mitchellvile, MD is a very safe high-income mostly AA area. Just 5-10 miles to the west you have Temple Hills and Forrestville/Suitland, MD which are high crime mostly black areas.

i'm an AA btw.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but the world is not so simple...
Well, you're right on that one. A city dominated by African Americans isn't more violence simply because of race.

But if cities dominated by african americans are more violent than cities dominated by whites, one needs to ask what socioeconomic factors contribute to the crime.

Delving deeper,you'd discover there are relations between crime and economic depression.

However, you cannot state that all cities dominated by African Americans are violent, nor state that all cities dominated by whites are peaceful.

I do feel that fearing accusations of racism by studying the correlation between race and crime prevents us from studying it, but I don't believe race in and of itself is the only factor in determining what cities have the most crime.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:01 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,633,668 times
I agree with the above post about this being a disaster waiting to happen.

Facts are Facts.......Whatever they may state, noone can disagree the blacks do have a major problem. I agree it does stem from years racism, poverty and poor education. But in recent years there are more and more Affluent Blacks (I refrain from African American, because they arent African......they are American with African descent). You know why there are more and more affluent blacks? They didnt sit around blaming everyone for their problems. They got an education, worked hard, and deserve what they got. I admire Bill Cosby for his lectures on the problems with black Americans. He's right!
There have been programs in inner cities for years, to prevent violence, drugs, etc. and to promote education, work programs, etc. In some cases they have worked, but more often than not they have failed. Why? I guess if we knew the answer than there wouldnt be a problem!
As far as the question of are citys dominated by blacks more violent? To answer that question just look at Detroit & New Orleans as prime examples.
What can be done? I think the blacks need to quit blaming the whites, the whites quiting blaming the blacks, and so on and so on. Quit blaming each other and start listening to each others issues and maybe just one day something positive can happen.
Otherwise this countries on the way to having another civil war, this time it'll be race related. And IMO, NOONE WILL WIN!!!

EDIT: I hope what I have written is not looked at as hijacking the thread because that was not my intention. It is just to somehow give a perspective on why the cities are more violent. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.