Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM

27 posts, read 91,320 times

Advertisements

What's the best cities for a black gay man to live? I'm 26 looking for a big city atmosphere since I'm originally from Philadelphia. I'm in the medical field (RN) so excellent medical facilities are a must. Rent wise I can pay $1000-$1400 at the most. I'm trying to relocate by September

Presently I'm in South Jersey but need a change of scenery. I'm over the Phila/S.Jersey Area.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
Miami
Chicago
Houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
What about Seattle? I believe that there are more Black males than Black females and it has a pretty vibrant Gay scene, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't sleep on Denver, Minneapolis, Buffalo(Allentown neighborhood) or parts of the Detroit area like Ferndale, Royal Oak and the adjacent Ann Arbor area.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
If you're looking at DC, also consider Baltimore, which Ive heard has a lively gay scene .

Old 05-11-2012, 08:58 PM

196 posts, read 658,512 times
I'm not gay, but all I hear is that Atlanta is the Black San Francisco and has a very prominent gay community.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post
What's the best cities for a black gay man to live? I'm 26 looking for a big city atmosphere since I'm originally from Philadelphia. I'm in the medical field (RN) so excellent medical facilities are a must. Rent wise I can pay $1000-$1400 at the most. I'm trying to relocate by September

Presently I'm in South Jersey but need a change of scenery. I'm over the Phila/S.Jersey Area.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

Washington DC
Atlanta
Boston
Miami
Chicago
Houston
You will love Atlanta! "Gays for days" here and no one cares. Many of them work in the medical industry as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
I'd forget about Boston.

Being black and gay doesn't necessarily mean Atlanta will be a perfect fit for you, but it is the most obvious first choice. Miami would probably be second, and the others might be a toss up, I'm guessing.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,236 times
DC would be an excellent pick, it's a very liberal area with a huge black gay community. DC is pretty much the black professional mecca of the US, I think you would do well. Rent may be slightly higher than your range but salaries are also much higher and as an RN you will be fine. If you are willing to live outside the city proper or in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, rents go down quite a bit.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
DC would be an excellent pick, it's a very liberal area with a huge black gay community. DC is pretty much the black professional mecca of the US, I think you would do well. Rent may be slightly higher than your range but salaries are also much higher and as an RN you will be fine. If you are willing to live outside the city proper or in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood, rents go down quite a bit.
Agreed.

I would also look into Atlanta.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...population.htm

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

27 posts, read 91,320 times
Thanks everyone ATL & DC are my top two at the moment.

Being around other black professionals aka "buppies" is very important to me. Not the most important factor but one of them. Add in the large gay populations of both & you have a winning combination.

But I really like Boston as a city as well. Although I can always visit.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,348 times
I'm black gay male and familiar with Atlanta and DC. I'm not that familiar with Philly but my experience with Philly was a fairly laidback chill city.

I really like the DC area. I think you'd find an easier transition here with Philadelphia just being a few hours away. The cost of living will kill you. One really can't expect much of anything for $1000 in the DC area. However, I really like living near such a smart happening city. So yeah come on down.

Although don't live in the outer suburbs. Finding one's next ex-husband ain't easy in Ashburn or Gaithersburg believe you me. I say that as someone who lives and works in the suburbs but is contemplating a move to the closer-in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.