Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times

Advertisements

Anyone moved before with these? Can you fit a 4 bed/2 ba house into one of them or am I living in the twilight zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
You may get an idea from their website. They have a couple different sizes. You may need more than one. I didn't think it was worth it for my move and I am moving the equivalence of a 1 BR apt. (that's what the moving co. told me) I priced them and they were considerably higher that ABF Upack and the moving co. But I am doing a 3000 mile move. Go to the boards at movingscam.com they are very helpful. Search that question and I am sure they will have the answer!!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:13 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Try this instead:

Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Not sure what happened with the link in the previous post.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
We used 2 pods for a 1200 sqft home.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
I moved a 1300 sf 3/1 plus a ton of whatever that crap that lives in the garage is in one PODS container. It really depends on the items that you have and how smart of a packer you are.

I am using Smart Move this time, as PODS does not go where I am moving to. Got to make it fit into a 7 x 7 x 6. Good thing I have a lot less stuff this time.....

Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
I agree that how smart of a packer you are is very important in whether you can fit a 4 bed home in 2 pods. We just moved a 4 bed, 2 bath (plus storage) home in two 16 foot PODs - it was a tight squeeze, but we made it....we did not have room for our large stainless barbecue, any of our outdoor furniture or our dining set (sideboard - chairs and tables)....but we had a lot more boxes than the average mover would probably have....I really think that whether you can move with only two 16 foot PODs or not depends on how much "stuff" you have....if you have an average 4 bed house, then 2 PODs might work.

My husband made preliminary measurements of all our boxes - he lined them up basically like they would sit in a pod - that told us we had approximately 2/3 of a pod in boxes and 1 1/3 pods for furniture.

We moved across the U.S. and bought a house so our pods are being stored until our escrow closes but so far the POD experience has been a positive one.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
Wink moving soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
We used 2 pods for a 1200 sqft home.
when you used the pods did you stay in state or move out ? i'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to use pods or rent a truck. anyone experience this ? i guess if no one has, i guess i'll have to make phone calls cause pods doesn't give out of state quotes online, i tried last night..

Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM

PODS can't quote out of state moves online, yet. Each location is a franchise, so they have to check on rates with the other locations.

I have crunched the numbers a dozen times. It is cheaper to use the PODS (or some other "cube" company) than it is to rent a truck & put fuel in it. I am going to move 21 hours away and it is going to cost me $1600. And I don't have to worry about the rental truck breaking down on the side of the road in East Nowheresville. Truck rental was going to be a few hundred less, plus a car trailer, plus fuel. I guess it would depend on how far you are going.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,765 times
Talking thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
PODS can't quote out of state moves online, yet. Each location is a franchise, so they have to check on rates with the other locations.

I have crunched the numbers a dozen times. It is cheaper to use the PODS (or some other "cube" company) than it is to rent a truck & put fuel in it. I am going to move 21 hours away and it is going to cost me $1600. And I don't have to worry about the rental truck breaking down on the side of the road in East Nowheresville. Truck rental was going to be a few hundred less, plus a car trailer, plus fuel. I guess it would depend on how far you are going.
thanks alot.. the distance we'er moving is a little less then that. so that really helps me out.. i'll give them a call.. cause that's what we wanted to avoid was renting a truck to move long distance. we already went through that when we moved back in 02 when they didn't have pods. we just thought it would make the move alot easier. thanks for your help...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

The other things that make it easier with a cube include:

Not having to go up a ramp or climb in & out of a truck. The cube is a couple of inches off the ground. Much easier with heavy stuff, and no beating up on your knees.

If you need to store your stuff you don't have to unload at a storage locker, then re-load when you are ready to unload again at your new house. I am using Smart Move this time, and the first 28 days are included in your delivery quote and it is $1/day to store after that. Where can you get a storage locker for $30/month? Last time I ended up storing for 3 months, as the house I was buying failed a late inspection. The house I ended up buying needed paint/carpet/etc. before I was ready to put stuff in it so the storage option is nice.

Something to look out for: Some companies include contents insurance and some do not. With PODS you need to keep your homeowner's policy active in order to have coverage. Smart Move offers $10,000 in coverage per cube effective the minute they drop the empty cube off at your location. Other companies offer different insurance/no insurance, so be sure to ask about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues