Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

I guess we didn't plan this very well. We're moving into a house Sept 1. Vacating the place we're renting through the end of August. The kicker: we have a planned vacation (i.e. deposits already down, etc.) Aug 23-30. Our rental contract states we need to have the place professionally cleaned after we vacate it and we can't professionally clean it until we're out.

I'm wondering if it's economically feasible to do this via PODS. We could move everything into the storage unit before we left and then have them moved across town when we get back. This way, I could have the cleaners come in while we're on vacation.

Anyone ever moved locally (or long distance) w/ PODS? Any advice? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Your best answers will probably be found at pods.com. Here are quite recent threads with tons of information from contributors:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=6019704
and
https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=6019723

Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Neither one of those links worked for me.

I used PODS for a long distance move. I chose PODS because they do offer storage service. There is a delivery fee that includes the first month's storage fee, and there will be a transfer fee based on the distance of the move.

As far as pricing goes, my move was a couple of years ago and the cost of fuel is a determining factor in the quote. Call PODS for a quote.

As far a convenience goes it is the only way to fly. Especially if you have to store your stuff. Load it once, unload it once.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Who loads/unloads? Do we do it ourselves/hire some local brawn?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:07 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
All they do is deliver the POD and pick it up when you call them. You load it, you put your lock on it, you unload it on the other end.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,357 times
We recently used UPack PODS and they were great, they picked up on time and delivered on time, very professional, and there customer service is really good, we will be using them the nex time we move. They also provide storage.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
We recently used UPack PODS and they were great, they picked up on time and delivered on time, very professional, and there customer service is really good, we will be using them the nex time we move. They also provide storage.

As I've been looking into moving costs I've found in my case ABF U-Pack had a much better rate than PODS, and their storage charges were less. They also give you the option of dropping an empty 28' trailer at your location and charging you by the foot.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I did a local move with PODS. We had to be out by the end of the month and could not get into our new place till the seventh of the next.

PODS dropped the unit off, we loaded it ourselves, they picked it up (when told to, on time) and stored it at their facility until the seventh, then delivered it to the new place (also on time). Not a scratch on anything. This was 2005 and I think the total was around $400-remember, it was local, and I'm sure it's more now.

I didn't consider ABF because I could not park the trailer. We plan a long-distance move this year (hopefully) and will probably use PODS again.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:32 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I didn't consider ABF because I could not park the trailer. We plan a long-distance move this year (hopefully) and will probably use PODS again.

The trailer is only one of ABF's options, they also offer conatiner options similar to PODS.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Will your belongings fit into a big U-Haul? I made a move and needed to store my belongings for a couple of weeks and it was cheaper for me to load it all into a big U-Haul and pay for extra days. You'd just need to find a place that will let you leave the U-Haul for the time it would be sitting.

My neighbors just used a Pod and were very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues