Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 11:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times

Advertisements

How many pods are people needing for a one bedroom? I plan to get rid of my dining room set and some other furniture. The big items are two desks, a loveseat, wingback chair, mattress and headboards, some tables and washer/dryer. Plus approx. 10 big boxes of dishes/linens/books/etc. Two pods maybe??

Also some companies say they will ship your car with your pods? Anyone know which is the best company for this? I will be flying, with a cat. Just don't think she would do well with three days' driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
We are looking at PODS as well for our move from Cal to Houston. Just got a price quote for 2 pods for $2500.

Do other PODs-like-options provide air-ride? Our friend did a Cal to NH move using one of those trucks that you pack yourselves and he said he would never do it again. It was inexpensive yes - but he had so much damage to furniture & broken items. The truck was not air-ride and he thinks that makes a big difference.

DH inquired about POD for our auto & that was a "no".

They also said they could not provide storage so I need to research that some more. Is that a state-to-state thing?

We're planning on being packed & shipping everything off by Thanksgiving week.

Thanks for any individual feedback/experiences. This is a great thread!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 16,675 times
what? PODS is the most expensive of these companies!

most websites iv chkd out give quotes by location~destination etc, n
UHAUL said $1,187 n u keep the pod for a MONTH, don't recall the sz :/
($1200+, which is the same as when i rented their biggest truck/car hauler 2go 1500mi or so plus i spent exactly $450in only gas)

U PACK gives 2~3pods(12 lin.ft/2+bdrms) for 1397($1400)

n neither require deposits unless pay in cash@uhaul

n this was for a 1800+mile trip

Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

As for the cats. A family member was moving with 2 cats, in a carrier, in the back of a Jeep Wagoneer. Ride was fine for about an hour. Then one did a number in that carrier that was strong enough to almost bring tears to our eyes! The Jeep came to an abrupt stop, the carrier was wrapped, leaving plenty of air holes for now where all the air was blowing through, with duct tape! The carrier was then strapped on the luggage rack on top of the Jeep. The cats made the ride safely, and we had fresh air the rest of the trip. But I could almost swear I saw one of the cats kissing the ground when they were let out! lol

This is not even remotely funny. Sick, actually.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM

20 posts, read 24,260 times
ok- i need some info here please- our plan was to use u-haul- to move 40-50 miles- i do not have any appliances, just tv and microwave- a queen size bed, couple bookcases and boxes of items- if pods are too spendy what was the other one mentioned? abf? my hubby is a new driver and never had to pull a small trailer- i do not want any driving accidents. hope i can find something cheaper than pods as i am a senior- any info will be appreciated-

Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginachadli View Post
ok- i need some info here please- our plan was to use u-haul- to move 40-50 miles- i do not have any appliances, just tv and microwave- a queen size bed, couple bookcases and boxes of items- if pods are too spendy what was the other one mentioned? abf? my hubby is a new driver and never had to pull a small trailer- i do not want any driving accidents. hope i can find something cheaper than pods as i am a senior- any info will be appreciated-

Try Door-to-Door...they are cheaper than the Pods company and have great service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues