Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 PM

54 posts, read 329,775 times

Advertisements

moving from ny to miami, thinking of using PODS. Move date is sketchy and like that they will store my things till i'm able to get to miami. Has anyone used them? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
PODs, PackRat, Relo-Cubes, etc are all about the same. They bring a mini container to your home, drop it off (most are curb level so no ramps or lifts are needed), you fill it, they pick it up, they transport it to your new location, they drop it off, you unload it, they pick up the empty container. They can store it as long as you need, they can have you unload some things and store whatever you dont need. Many options.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,884 times
I used pods to go from southern TX to Iowa (about 1,200 miles). It took about a week for the POD to arrive, we had it in storage for about 50 days and the local owner was great with allowing us access, even if something came up at the last minute (or even past the last minute). There was no damage to the items in any way, and the pod itself was sturdy and secure. When we bought our house here PODs delivered straight onto the driveway, a day later they picked up the empty unit and we were done!

We really could not of made the move without them and still have all of our stuff. They were great all along the way, definitely would use them again. Just be sure to take any items you need right away with you, unless you could go 2 weeks or so without them.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
Before you get too far along in your relocation planning, check to make sure the companies you're considering service the areas you're moving from and to.

Many state and metropolitan traffic regulations, community covenants, and real estate lease contracts prohibit the placement of mobile/portable containers or unattended trailers on public access thoroughfares, state operated roadways and privately owned parking areas.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
I considered PODS for my next move. I've been researching the last few weeks as I prepare for my next big move and all my research on PODS I've found an over whelming number of complaints. I'm looking hard at ABF's relocubes as so far I'm finding most of the talk is good. They have a good reputation with the BBB among other things. I'm not done researching, but so far everything i've read has me scared to use PODS and has me leaning heavily on Relocubes. With that said, this just my opinion based on research, I have never used either. Yet.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,793 times
Where are you doing your research, Ankhharu, what size container(s) are you considering, and what is your criteria for acceptablity?

Both ABF and PODS have good reputations for the types of business they specialize in.

ABF is a general freight common carrier that developed a mobile/portable storage container product that it markets as a moving service. Their ReloCube comes in only one size.

PODS is a mobile/portable container storage product that it markets as a moving service. They offer three sizes of containers. Transportation is arranged through a variety of general freight common and contract carriers.

Both moving services are cheaper than normal full service movers approved by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) because both rely on their customers to provide their own material, equipment and loading/unloading labor to use their moving services.

uPack offers Full Value Protection for articles packed and moved using their containers, but only if the customer agrees to pay to have an affiliated labor service provide the manpower for both loading and unloading.

This increased level of motor carrier liability is similar to that required of regular licensed household goods movers, but, as a general freight common carrier, ABF IS NOT required to comply with the FMCSA's federal consumer protection regulations for the transportation of household goods in interstate commerce as outlined in 49CFR375.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM

177 posts, read 685,601 times
We are using PackRat to move from South Carolina to Florida. The scheduling process has gone very well so far (we move in June). Our household goods need to put into storage for 1 or more months and using containers seems like a good idea to avoid handling things twice. PackRat provides one month free climate controlled storage which was the deciding factor for us.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Where are you doing your research, Ankhharu, what size container(s) are you considering, and what is your criteria for acceptablity?

Both ABF and PODS have good reputations for the types of business they specialize in.

ABF is a general freight common carrier that developed a mobile/portable storage container product that it markets as a moving service. Their ReloCube comes in only one size.

PODS is a mobile/portable container storage product that it markets as a moving service. They offer three sizes of containers. Transportation is arranged through a variety of general freight common and contract carriers.

Both moving services are cheaper than normal full service movers approved by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) because both rely on their customers to provide their own material, equipment and loading/unloading labor to use their moving services.

uPack offers Full Value Protection for articles packed and moved using their containers, but only if the customer agrees to pay to have an affiliated labor service provide the manpower for both loading and unloading.

This increased level of motor carrier liability is similar to that required of regular licensed household goods movers, but, as a general freight common carrier, ABF IS NOT required to comply with the FMCSA's federal consumer protection regulations for the transportation of household goods in interstate commerce as outlined in 49CFR375.

I don't have a comprehensive list of all the sites I read, but I did a google search on each one using various search phrases. Here are a few to get you started.

Pods reviews
Consumer affairs: Consumer complaints about PODS
Pods site. PODS Reviews and Complaints
Has anyone used moving pods or containers? | Seattle | Yelp

ABF Relocubes

ABF U-pack Moving - Oakland, CA
BBB Review of ABF U Pack Moving in Fort Smith, AR
What is a Cheap/Reliable Way to Move Out of State? - moving outofstate uhaul | Ask MetaFilter

Search this forum too. Several threads on both of them and peoples experiences.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...bf-u-pack.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...questions.html

general info on how relocubes works:

YouTube - U-Pack ReloCubes vs. PODS©

general info on how PODS work:

YouTube - PODScompany's Channel

Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,421,281 times
DO NOT USE PODS for anything other than local storage or local moving.

They will charge you out the behind for a cross country move... they wanted over $2000 just to move my POD from Omaha to Louisville! I had to fly back one-way to Omaha, rent a Penske truck, load it at the PODS warehouse, and drive that to Louisville... for half the price that they wanted! Even the full service mover I used from Tucson to Omaha was less than half of the cost of PODS!

I hear much better things about other relo-cube companies, though, so check those out. Always ask for quotes... PODS was very shifty about giving me a quote from Omaha to Louisville... they wouldn't give me any sort of estimate for the move until after they already had my stuff in storage since I couldn't just give them a zip code for them to give me an estimate.... I unfortunately had no choice as the move was getting closer fast and I was running out of options.

So stay away from PODS... there are much better options!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
DO NOT USE PODS for anything other than local storage or local moving.

They will charge you out the behind for a cross country move... they wanted over $2000 just to move my POD from Omaha to Louisville! I had to fly back one-way to Omaha, rent a Penske truck, load it at the PODS warehouse, and drive that to Louisville... for half the price that they wanted! Even the full service mover I used from Tucson to Omaha was less than half of the cost of PODS!

I hear much better things about other relo-cube companies, though, so check those out. Always ask for quotes... PODS was very shifty about giving me a quote from Omaha to Louisville... they wouldn't give me any sort of estimate for the move until after they already had my stuff in storage since I couldn't just give them a zip code for them to give me an estimate.... I unfortunately had no choice as the move was getting closer fast and I was running out of options.

So stay away from PODS... there are much better options!
My cost was around $1,800 to go the 1,200 miles and there was nothing shifty about them. They gave me a quote over the phone at the very beginning, I just told them what city I was going to and they replied with the cost asap. Yeah the price was high, but there was no other way to make the trip with all our items/animals.

Regarding the PODS negative review on BBB website - I read those before too and was a bit nervous about it. However, the claims such as bug/rat infestation getting into the pod seemed impossible with the unit we had atleast, MUCH more likely the guy had eggs infestation or rats hidden away. In fact I noticed a sticker in the unit that recommended bug bombing before you store it and checking for roddents stowing away - my wife and I looked at eachother and laughed and referenced that Guy on the BBB site. The complaints about horrible local owners seems very possibly, as each location pretty much is on its own (setting hours, etc from what I gather). Luckily our local Pods Guy was superb and very willing to help us out.

There's a lot of negative on that site because people like me who had a good experience haven't gone out of our way to write a positive one up. I've been meaning to add our experience on there but haven't gotten around to it, in fact I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

And there's more people like me out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues