Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:16 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
We're moving across town and one of the reasons I like the PODS idea is that I can have it dropped off here a week or so before we have it moved to the new house. Then we can load a bit every day. Same with the unload. We also have a big Chevy half ton truck so maybe between a few trips back/forth w/ the truck, we can get by w/ one POD?
This is what we did when we moved crosstown a couple years ago. We packed the contents of our 3bd house into the PODS, and took all the yard-garage stuff over in my van. The PODS was stored for a few weeks until we could get into the new place-the other stuff went into my folks' basement.

THe contents of our small house-and NO appliances-completely filled the PODS. I could not imagine getting a 4 bed home into one. When we move to NC, we plan to rent two, since it all has to come with us then.

The PODS are very easy to load/unload, they are ground level. We even moved our piano ourselves in the PODS. I was very happy with PODS, and not a thing was broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 PM

13 posts, read 81,656 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned another benefit of portable storage companies: you only pay for what you USE. Say you reserve two pods but only use one...you only pay for one.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

74 posts, read 358,615 times
A site you may want to check out before you decide is movingscam.com
They have a "blacklist" of companies who aren't reputable and some that are downright fraudulent. We were looking into ABF U-Pack which is a load it yourself, they drive, type of thing. They give free quotes. Good Luck with your move! We will be moving across the US in about a month and haven't made any concrete plans for our move yet!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:07 AM

45 posts, read 192,306 times
PODS is great! We put a three bedroom house in one with no appliances with no problem, but did not have much room left over. I could of packed it a bit higher but just didn't. Not one thing moved from NY to SC! I was amazed. They are worth the money.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:57 PM

13 posts, read 81,656 times
The size of a pod will obviously determine how much you can fit into one. Keep in mind though, larger isn't always better. If you're moving into a city or don't have much space in your yard or driveway to place a pod, smaller ones may end up being better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues