Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times

Advertisements

Our experience with PODS was incredible.

Because I have had furniture damaged, in the past, and china and crystal broken, I much prefer to pack my own things, and can be relatively 'anal' about it -- but I do not relish having to repair things or replace them, and many times, I cannot even find replacements for things I have had damaged, or lost.

We ordered two pods for a 2000 square foot home of furniture. A lot of our furniture is over-sized by today's standards, and some of it is 'delicate' -- dressers with mirrors, highboys on legs, a dining room suite with a heavy buffet and a glass-front china cabinet, both on legs; a double pedestal dining room table -- and the like. We have a king-sized mattress with box springs, and a queen, and a pair of twin beds, along with the assorted dressers and chests and nightstands. My living room chairs are large wingbacks, with skirts, a couple of ottomans, and a long, low couch.

I used smaller boxes, and bags of clothing, and linens to 'wedge' other things securely. Instead of packing things in regular bags, I bought contractors' bags at Lowe's -- thicker and larger, which protected the linens and clothes I used to 'wedge' items. Dishes and other fragiles traveled securely in small boxes stacked between soft furnishings, as did large pictures and paintings, wrapped in blankets, and protected in the plastic bags.

Two PODS were a bit overkill, but it also gave me the luxury of loading things from the garage -- yard tools, lawn chairs, the mower, and the like into the second one, away from the household goods.

We were most pleased with the move, itself, and the cost of the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
when you used the pods did you stay in state or move out ? i'm trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to use pods or rent a truck. anyone experience this ? i guess if no one has, i guess i'll have to make phone calls cause pods doesn't give out of state quotes online, i tried last night..
I moved two towns over... I stored the PODS for six months... it was easier for us than to put it all in storage and move it twice...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,004 times
thanks racelady.. i have seen them in a few driveways around here and that is one of the biggest things i like is that there on the ground and no ramp since i'll be the one moving all the big items in it... we will be using pods when we decide to move. i don't want any other pod company.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:55 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Anyone moved before with these? Can you fit a 4 bed/2 ba house into one of them or am I living in the twilight zone?
If you take the time to pack the POD carefully, and give some thought to what goes in, when, and where, you may be able to do it. It is sort of the same principle as packing a large box full of small packages to mail at holiday time -- you just 'play' some with the arrangement. We put the big things we could get along without, in, to begin with, and filled spaces here and there with items packed in boxes. The last two items to go into the POD, at the end, before the POD was picked up, included our box spring and mattress, and the side-by-side refrigerator and freezer.

Unless your 4-bedroom home is stuffed 'to the gills' with furniture, and it is large and over-sized, you may be able to do it in one POD.

The 2nd POD was nice, however, for yard tools, items from the garage, lawn furniture, and things I really didn't want in a POD with my household furnishings.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,004 times
Talking isn't moving fun.......yaaaaaaaaaa

we'er not taking much so i don't think room will be an issue. all are big furniture we are selling and appliances are selling to. we only live in a 900 sf mobile home so i don't think it's going to be a problem.. we'er buying all new stuff when we get moved..

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM

95 posts, read 431,239 times
I think PODS are they way to go if you are not able to move directly from one place to another (which has happened to us the last couple of times). We have used one of the larger of the two available PODS sizes (16ft?) each time we've moved - the first time was a two bedroom house, plus a lot of stuff filling up a two car garage - second time was a three bedroom house - surprisingly, both times it was a tight squeeze. I think it does depend on what type of stuff you have (we have a lot of tools) and how you pack it.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,915 times
We're moving across town and one of the reasons I like the PODS idea is that I can have it dropped off here a week or so before we have it moved to the new house. Then we can load a bit every day. Same with the unload. We also have a big Chevy half ton truck so maybe between a few trips back/forth w/ the truck, we can get by w/ one POD?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,025 times
We used ABF relocubes to move from FL to TN and they were fantastic!!! It worked out to be about $800 LESS than renting a truck, not to mention not having the headache of driving the truck or worrying about it sitting in hotel parking lots overnite! Compared to the moving company, it was about $2,000 less!! Every single person that we dealt with at ABF was wonderful. I definitely recommend them!

When packing, I literally taped off the dimensions in our great room, and as I packed boxes I stacked them within the taped area to make sure everything fit. I reserved two pods initially, but when I realized that I could do it with one, it was no problem to call and cancel one. Actually, that is what they recommended, in order to insure that two would be available if I needed them both!

Another great advantage with ABF was that they stored our belongings for only $75 per month until we were ready to move in our home.....then I called and they delivered at the exact time I requested, and when we were through unloading, they came back to pick it up. They would have left it for three days if needed, but we finished unpacking within a few hours, and they came back that afternoon when I called!!

Good luck with your move!!

Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
PODS can't quote out of state moves online, yet. Each location is a franchise, so they have to check on rates with the other locations.

I have crunched the numbers a dozen times. It is cheaper to use the PODS (or some other "cube" company) than it is to rent a truck & put fuel in it. I am going to move 21 hours away and it is going to cost me $1600. And I don't have to worry about the rental truck breaking down on the side of the road in East Nowheresville. Truck rental was going to be a few hundred less, plus a car trailer, plus fuel. I guess it would depend on how far you are going.
Not true. They quoted my moved from Alabama to Texas in 1996. I had too much to fit in a single uhaul type rental truck. I had to use two pods and I also had a 16' open trailer I used to move a bunch of heavy/bulky items along with my dogs. I moved the contents of a 3 bdrm, living, dining, office and shed (2800 sq ft) as well as the patio furniture and riding mower in my move. It would not have fit in only two pods.

The PODS were MUCH cheaper than a single one way rental which would not have much more than half my junk. I had two vehicle to relocate also, so I had to make the drive anyway. The trailer purchase was also cheaper than the one way rental in my case, that can vary by miles though.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
The PODS are handled fairly nicely, but if you want a little extra security in your packing....

I came across a tip from an overseas mover. pack all your items on top of pallets that have been screwed to the flooring and wrap the pallet with plastic wrap. This ties everything together into a single unit and the pallet will hold it all in place if the load shifts for any reason.

Makes great sense for ocean transports, and cannot but help if there is any roadway problems that jolt the load.

The pallets can easily be unscrewed with no damage to the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues