Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:05 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Nope.

According to the 1950 census blank form, the people on lines #4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29 of EACH page were the only ones asked to fill out the supplementary form asking where their parents were born. Those lines are highlighted and called “sample lines” on the main form:

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1...stionnaire.pdf

If you keep scrolling down the web page you will see the supplementary form with parent country of birth info. Only parents of people from sample lines #4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29 are listed.
I stand corrected and re-directed. (going for a rhyme there) Maybe I saw the bottom of the page and thought they asked everyone those questions. Looks like it is 6 out of 30 or 20% are asked where their parents were born. Beats 2/40 or 5% any day. Am hoping to see some relatives fall on those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2021, 06:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I am just trying to figure out how to do genealogy. At one point I belonged to Ancestry.com. That helped me some but was expensive. Can I have access to the census info without belonging to Ancestry.com? I did just sent in my DNA sample to find out a breakdown in percentages of my ancestry and am excited to get the results. It only cost me like $69.00.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:02 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I am just trying to figure out how to do genealogy. At one point I belonged to Ancestry.com. That helped me some but was expensive. Can I have access to the census info without belonging to Ancestry.com? I did just sent in my DNA sample to find out a breakdown in percentages of my ancestry and am excited to get the results. It only cost me like $69.00.

Ancestry is free, the reason why people pay is to be able to see and link sources like census records. You can make as many family trees as you want there on a free account.

When you activated your DNA test, did you make a new account or did you sign into your old account? If it was on a new account, you may want to consider calling ancestry to have them transfer it to your old account.

You also could log into your old account to download your trees. If your on a free account, you won't be able to see the source hints that you saved when you subscribed. I'm not sure if the sources will save with the tree, I'm sure someone else would know. I think it's easier to recover the old account as long as you have access to the email addy you signed up with.

The census will be available free at family search according to bjh's reply which I quoted below.

Let us know when your DNA is processed, we'll tell you how to upload it to my heritage for free. There is a one time charge of $29 to access shared matches, ethnicity, surnames and family trees of matches plus some advanced DNA tools like chromosome browser. It's very easy to do. My Heritage is also a genealogy site like Ancestry, plus they're world wide which can be very valuable if you have relatives in other countries. It will show you how many DNA matches you have in each country, even when you do not pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
It will also be on familysearch.org which is always free.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:47 PM
bjh

Article from December 14th 2021

https://www.infodocket.com/2021/12/1...n-opportunity/

Quote:
The new website will include a name search function powered by an Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) technology tool. This is important for genealogists and other researchers who rely on census records for new information about the nation’s past.

“The OCR being used to transcribe the handwritten names from the census rolls is about as good as the human eye,” said Project Management Director Rodney Payne. “Some of the pages are legible, and others are difficult to decipher. So, the National Archives developed a transcription tool to enable users to submit name updates. This will allow other users to find specific names more easily, and it provides an opportunity for the public to help the agency share these records with the world.”

Old 12-31-2021, 06:58 PM
bjh

Been wondering about this so am posting what thefamilysearch blog said last year:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/blog...s-release-date

Here's a link to sign up for updates:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/info...0-census/#form

Quote:
In 2012, the National Archives provided digital images of the 1940 census to FamilySearch. Then FamilySearch uploaded those digital images to their website. Those who had a free FamilySearch account were able to see the digital images right away. However, the records were not indexed and so had to be searched page-by-page by location. We expect the same thing to happen for the 1950 census.
and
Quote:
How Long Will It Take for the 1950 Census to Be Indexed?

The time it will take to index the census depends on how many wonderful volunteers dedicate their time to the effort! To give you some perspective of the scope of the project, approximately 132,164,569 persons were enumerated in the 1940 census. In contrast, the estimated population of the United States in 1950 was a little over 150 million.

In 2012, FamilySearch began the project to index the 1940 United States census in hopes of indexing the entire census in 6 months. With over 163,000 volunteers and several genealogical organizations contributing their time and efforts, the census was indexed in just 4 months except for Puerto Rico!

If you're interested in learning more about the 1950 United States census or want updates, make sure to sign up for 1950 census updates and notifications!

Old 01-05-2022, 01:04 PM

8,497 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post

Familysearch.org has a lot of data for free. That includes items such as census, birth, marriage, death, naturalization, and military records. You just need to set up a free account and you can actually see and download most of the actual document images.

Many deceased person profiles are also already set up (with connections to relatives) on familysearch.org with documents attached to them making it even easier than doing your own document searches.

I have also used the free services offered by the public library in the community where most of my family has lived in or around since the 1860's. It has an extensive digital collection that i can access right from home. This includes some 125 years of the local paper which they have put online. I have easily searched the papers by key words and dates. I have most all the obits for much of the family and found other items relating to their social activities, employment, weddings, school, sports, etc....

I subscribe to several genealogy sites. I have never paid a cent. My Ancestry.com DNA test kit was a gift given to me. My main tree was set up on my free ancestry account. It presently has 692 people in the tree for nearly every ancestor that came to the US along with most all their descendants. I have uploaded over 900 photos and nearly 200 documents (which I got from other sources) and attached them to individuals.

You do not necessarily have to any pay fees to get information provided you put the effort into seeing what is out there on the various sites.

Old 01-14-2022, 05:11 PM
bjh

About 2 and a half months!

Old 01-20-2022, 04:17 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
You do not necessarily have to any pay fees to get information provided you put the effort into seeing what is out there on the various sites.

And some, you only need for a short time. I keep a newspapers.com subscription because doing work for findagrave, when I can't be out in the cemetery, I try to link relatives and all that, and the best way is via obits. Luckily, newspapers.com has a good set of the local paper around here, back to the early 1900's.

But, I've used it before to look up my surname as well.. And found some great stories about a relative and a specific line of the family..

One being Donald Duckworth, who married in.. He ran at Darlington in 1955, I believe it was, and you can even see a Youtube video of it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJLYZJOZPI

And, I researched a bit on him.. That man shouldn't have been around cars. He was in a coma for months after the Darlington incident and died in a car accident about 15 years later.

The specific line.. There were 5 kids and 4 were boys, 1 girl. The girl is the only one who made it out unscathed.

The oldest brother was shot at while riding his horse to church one day.. Then about 7 years later, was shot by a tenant on his fathers farm. Blew half his jaw off.. He drug himself back to his fathers house and died the next day. But, what the paper dances around is that basically he was caught in bed with the other guys wife.

The youngest brother died at 15. I haven't figured out the details on that one yet. Likely disease.

The other two brothers.. They're sitting outside under a shade tree playing poker with friends and (sign of the times, this is a quote from the paper) "two local negros" when accusations of cheating are thrown, followed by guns being drawn. The younger of the two is shot in the head and dies instantly, the older is not expected to survive, but does.. The ending of the article states that "The party is reported to have consumed 3 GALLONS of whiskey over the course of the afternoon"

The surviving brother there, I found him hitting the papers again about 20 years later when he fell out of a tree after being attacked by a possum.

But.. That's a hell of a resource. You can sign up for a short time and then cancel once you get what you want or find what you can. Just those stories that I was able to get were worth the price of admission.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:00 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I will finally show up on the census. A measure of immortality

Old 01-22-2022, 02:46 AM
bjh

You were there all along. Almost everyone is, whether they live long enough to see themselves on a census record or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy