Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 01:48 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times

Advertisements

Looking at the Census page, and Google Maps of the area. Area is in West Los Angeles just south of a Veteran's Hospital, near the interchange of I-10 and 405.

Judging by. the variety of employers and occupations, not a naval base. Probably a large apartment building, or a very large "auto court" (what today we call a motel) judging by most tenants are couples with few if any kids.. Either no longer existing.

It also appears your GGF could have been within walking distance to his VA job.

Good job finding him. I'm running into a lot of name misspelling, both on NARA and Ancestry. Boggles me that so many Census takers had atrocious handwriting. :-(

Last edited by reed303; 05-29-2022 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 06:30 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
^ Congrats on the find.

Old 05-31-2022, 01:43 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Looking at the Census page, and Google Maps of the area. Area is in West Los Angeles just south of a Veteran's Hospital, near the interchange of I-10 and 405.

Judging by. the variety of employers and occupations, not a naval base. Probably a large apartment building, or a very large "auto court" (what today we call a motel) judging by most tenants are couples with few if any kids.. Either no longer existing.

It also appears your GGF could have been within walking distance to his VA job.

Good job finding him. I'm running into a lot of name misspelling, both on NARA and Ancestry. Boggles me that so many Census takers had atrocious handwriting. :-(

I think you might be right. I was looking at Long Beach, if you look down there.. There is a Pico Ave next to Roosevelt Base.. BUT.. I think you're right, and they just said Pico Ave instead of Pico BLVD.

Because I can find Federal and Purdue up in that area.

The bad part here.. the Santa Monica Freeway cut right through that area about 10 years later. So, the odds.. Wherever this is, doesn't exist anymore.

I posted about it in the LA forum.. Figured that was worth a shot, might get someone there who has some specific historical knowledge where that "O.C. Auto" might make some sense to them.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
My grandmother and aunt are MIA in the 1950 census for St. Louis. My immediate family is listed, and we lived in my grandmother's house with her, but she is not listed. She had a habit of visiting her four grown kids and would even vanish for a couple days. Everyone thought she was with another of the families but not always (A mystery). One aunt (her eldest daughter) is also missing. My guess is that they might be together, wherever they are. The aunt lived in an apartment, and I remember being there but can't recall where it was in the city. I was 2 in 1950 but visited until I was 5 so I have a vague memory. She was married briefly and divorced so she might be under her maiden name or married name. I will need access to a city directory for 1950 to try to find the aunt's address.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:56 AM

This has opened up quite a bit.. but, honestly, the 1950 census has more than anything, been something of a kick in the butt to do more research

With some help from the staff at the Santa Monica historical society, they were able to search some old newspapers and find my GGF's obituary/funeral notice, and they found an article in the paper about his second wife's death.

Old 06-02-2022, 02:59 PM

And.. We think we've figured it out. We believe he lived at the Olympic and Purdue Auto Court, also known as the Cozy Court.

Basically what would in todays world be considered an Extended Stay Motel. Probably with cinder block walls. But, they were furnished little apartments.. Probably a kitchenette in them. I doubt they even had a 'separate' bedroom. The bedroom and living room probably doubled.

Seems sometime after my grandmother married and moved to SC (In about 1944), he remarried and left Long Beach.. Stayed at this "Cozy Court" for a few months until he found a permanent place down on the beach in Santa Monica.

Haven't figured out exactly when he moved to CA..But I know it was between 1940 and 1944.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy