Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 02:23 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times

Advertisements

I’ve tried to look at the data of this census. Whoever set up the web site should not be paid, what a cluster f*** of a site. Utter waste of tax payer money. Just about impossible to navigate, lots and lots of guess work and random jabs to……nothing. Terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 02:33 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's not true in the 1950 census. The census takers went back another time. One town I looked at had a total population of 156. 20 of them are on the last page, where the census taker went back. The first visits say "Not at Home". The last page has the house numbers that match the Not at Home lines.
Glad that some actually revisited!

Old 04-05-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I’ve tried to look at the data of this census. Whoever set up the web site should not be paid, what a cluster f*** of a site. Utter waste of tax payer money. Just about impossible to navigate, lots and lots of guess work and random jabs to……nothing. Terrible.
I just read that Ancestry is indexing it- who knows when that index will be available. Ancestry noted the first machine indexing was done by Univac which explains a lot!!!

Old 04-05-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
People are so well documented in other ways these days that it's been proposed the census isn't even needed anymore.
It would take a constitutional amendment I believe.

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...stitution.html

But, tis true- they could probably utilize tax returns if ever made legal.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:41 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's a little clunky, but so far I have found my paternal great-grandfather and great-grandmother living with two of my grandmother's sisters. And I found my grandmother's brother with his family, all living in Brooklyn. I haven't found my maternal family easily and am not in the mood to wade through hundreds of Rosens in Manhattan, as I have a lot of other genealogical tasks on my plate right now.

Lord.. I can't imagine searching New York City.. I was searching Enoree, SC, which had a population of 655 in 2010.

And Abbeville, SC that had a population of 5300 in 1950.. And actually is slightly smaller today. More households, less people overall.. Which I think is another hallmark of change that the 1950 census starts to show. More households, but smaller households. The days of every other house having 10 kids starts to dial back.

Old 04-05-2022, 04:24 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Lord.. I can't imagine searching New York City.. I was searching Enoree, SC, which had a population of 655 in 2010.

And Abbeville, SC that had a population of 5300 in 1950.. And actually is slightly smaller today. More households, less people overall.. Which I think is another hallmark of change that the 1950 census starts to show. More households, but smaller households. The days of every other house having 10 kids starts to dial back.
NYC is not fun! And it's where all of my direct ancestors (who came to the US) lived. My dad's families' names are a little more unique, but my mom's are Rosen and Rosenbaum. There are literally thousands of them in NYC. And most of them moved from tenement to tenement every few years. The one good thing about NYC is that there is a New York State Census through 1925.

A small town sounds lovely! I have a few collateral branches that lived in Omaha, El Paso, and St. Louis, which I enjoy researching.

Old 04-05-2022, 05:02 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
The National Archives made the microfilm available, as well as some metadata. It's not their role to perform the complete indexing. I haven't had any issues finding what I want there, even with the not so great machine indexing. Once Family Search and Ancestry get through the indexing, it will be far better, and simpler to search.

Old 04-06-2022, 10:45 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I found my mother and her parents! My 84-year old mother gave me her address in Manhattan, and I was able to look up the enumeration district and find it that way.

I just spent over an hour on the phone with her, while she told me stories about every family in the building. It was so cool! She remembered almost everyone. One family who lost a son in WW2, one family who sent their child to live out west because of asthma, the mean old woman who didn't speak to anyone, the girl who lived a floor below her who she played with a lot (as of a few years ago, they still sent Christmas cards to each other!), the women my grandmother used to sit in the park with, etc. It was history jumping off the page with her bringing every name to life!

The building is still standing (it was built in 1935). My mother lived in it from 1941 when she was 3 years old until about 1953 when she was in high school. She said she loved living there and got teary-eyed a few times. I wish I could have recorded it.

Old 04-06-2022, 02:38 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
NYC is not fun! And it's where all of my direct ancestors (who came to the US) lived. My dad's families' names are a little more unique, but my mom's are Rosen and Rosenbaum. There are literally thousands of them in NYC. And most of them moved from tenement to tenement every few years. The one good thing about NYC is that there is a New York State Census through 1925.

A small town sounds lovely! I have a few collateral branches that lived in Omaha, El Paso, and St. Louis, which I enjoy researching.

Well.. There are other problems when it comes to small towns. My grandparents address is listed as 3 1/4 mile on right. I suppose that's from the center of town. So, rural areas didn't always have addresses. In fact, up until the 90's my grandmothers house was RR 2 Box 86.

So.. Different challenges with rural areas. However. At the end of the day. Far easier to go through 5000 people vs 10 million.

Quote:
I found my mother and her parents! My 84-year old mother gave me her address in Manhattan, and I was able to look up the enumeration district and find it that way.

Ha. Tell her good on her for remembering the address where she lived 72 years ago. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:06 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Terrible to navigate for anyone looking for relatives in big cities because there is no name index and therefore it's really difficult to find people unless they have very unique names. For smaller places it is possible to find people. I am writing this based on my personal experienc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy