Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 06:25 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

I'm on a free account at ancestry, so won't be able to see it anyway. I guess I can try going to the library if they ever opened back up after COVID. Haven't tried to do that yet, I did join there.

My immediate family won't be on it until 1960. My 2nd MIL will be on it. She came here from Germany in the late 40's. Maybe I'll learn something about her that she refused to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 07:39 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
If I remember correctly, when the 1940 census was released, Ancestry indexed it and the results were made available for free (without subscription) for a year.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If I remember correctly, when the 1940 census was released, Ancestry indexed it and the results were made available for free (without subscription) for a year.

That would be helpful. If anyone catches that please post

I've been taking a break. Not sure how long it will last.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:17 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
It will also be on familysearch.org which is always free.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:44 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yes. Another feature of Familysearch.org that is sometimes helpful is the linking of documents to persons that are set up by registered users with these persons often also being attached via a tree to other related persons. Just be mindful that the site is totally public and open to anyone to create and edit things. This sometimes results in many incorrect assumptions. I have created most all my deceased family tree persons and linked to documents and other family members. It is my hope that this will hopefully help other extended family members when they do genealogy research.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:42 PM
bjh

Less than 5 months!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Yes. Another feature of Familysearch.org that is sometimes helpful is the linking of documents to persons that are set up by registered users with these persons often also being attached via a tree to other related persons. Just be mindful that the site is totally public and open to anyone to create and edit things. This sometimes results in many incorrect assumptions. I have created most all my deceased family tree persons and linked to documents and other family members. It is my hope that this will hopefully help other extended family members when they do genealogy research.
I choose to transcribe for familysearch.org because they are truly free to anyone.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reminder. I logged into MIL's profile there to make sure I do have her first husband attached to her. She had his last name when she came over from Germany.

I also looked at my first in laws, both of them should have been on the 1940 census. I guess I didn't realize they were that old. Thankfully I did catch it in 2016 when I added it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post

I haven't had many issues with people changing things I added. I'm happy that people have found some branches I started, then added their family to it.

Quote:
Less than 5 months!

I choose to transcribe for familysearch.org because they are truly free to anyone.

Thanks for volunteering. I've used it since I started doing my tree. If I add a relative on ancestry, I add them to my tree there too, so when a DNA match messages me asking to see my private tree, I give them that link lol

I help out as much as I can by adding family trees of people I do not know, say their name is similar to a relative I'm looking for. I will set up their tree, attach all of their records to get them out of my way. I've managed to link some of the trees on find a grave by connecting the family back together. I love both sites. I started leaving flowers on the find a grave memorials I suggest edits to, I'll add the edit request, will also link their family search tree profile there too so the memorial manager can see where the edits came from out of the blue.

I'm also comfortable merging people when I find them. I can't count how many I've merged in the 5 or so years I've been there.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Yep! I;m looking forward to transcribing pages to help make them searchable. Last time (2010) it took about four months after they said it would take a year! I predict it will be as fast or faster.

There are two forms. One for houseing. Here are the questions asked of people:
https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1...stionnaire.pdf

Here are both and a clickable list on the left for forms used in other census years?
https://www.census.gov/history/www/t...es/1950_1.html

Am happy to see that questions about where each person's parents were born is asked of everyone again, instead of just a couple as in 1940!
If I read the form correctly only 25% of the population is asked where their parents were born i.e. only those individuals who land on sample lines. Those individuals are asked additional questions which are on a supplementary form (below the main form on the web page).

Old 12-16-2021, 06:55 PM
bjh

Countdown: The 1950 Census should be out in early April or less than 4 months from now if all goes as we'd like it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
If I read the form correctly only 25% of the population is asked where their parents were born i.e. only those individuals who land on sample lines. Those individuals are asked additional questions which are on a supplementary form (below the main form on the web page).
The 1940 Census is where they asked a sample of 2 per page where their parents were born. Without looking I think it's 40 lines per page and 2 per page is just 5 percent in 1940 were asked their parents' birthplaces.

In the 1950 Census happily they ask everyone their parents' birthplaces.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Countdown: The 1950 Census should be out in early April or less than 4 months from now if all goes as we'd like it to.

The 1940 Census is where they asked a sample of 2 per page where their parents were born. Without looking I think it's 40 lines per page and 2 per page is just 5 percent in 1940 were asked their parents' birthplaces.

In the 1950 Census happily they ask everyone their parents' birthplaces.
Nope.

According to the 1950 census blank form, the people on lines #4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29 of EACH page were the only ones asked to fill out the supplementary form asking where their parents were born. Those lines are highlighted and called “sample lines” on the main form:

https://www.census.gov/history/pdf/1...stionnaire.pdf

If you keep scrolling down the web page you will see the supplementary form with parent country of birth info. Only parents of people from sample lines #4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 29 are listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy