Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In spite of that this story says I won't eat turkey this old!

Woman purchases turkey with '07 expiration date - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

(Did you note how all old food this store gets goes to the poor...)
There are varying estimates, but I've heard that between one-third and one-half of all the food in the USA that is harvested, gets discarded before it is eaten. That seems very silly, since the amount that actually spoils and become either dangerous or distasteful to eat is probably no more than 5-10%. The rest is food that people order and leave on their plate, or processors reject because it is imperfect, or gets discarded because it is past best-buy, or gets put away as leftovers and forgotten about, or gets carelessly prepared and becomes undesirable, etc etc etc. In every one of the above cases, the food would be quickly eaten in an undeveloped country where people have a very real familiarity with the concept of hunger.

The total amount of food eaten in a huge country like Pakistan, Indonesia, or Nigeria, is probably smaller than the amount of food that Americans just throw away for the most trivial of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 06:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are varying estimates, but I've heard that between one-third and one-half of all the food in the USA that is harvested, gets discarded before it is eaten. That seems very silly, since the amount that actually spoils and become either dangerous or distasteful to eat is probably no more than 5-10%. The rest is food that people order and leave on their plate, or processors reject because it is imperfect, or gets discarded because it is past best-buy, or gets put away as leftovers and forgotten about, or gets carelessly prepared and becomes undesirable, etc etc etc. In every one of the above cases, the food would be quickly eaten in an undeveloped country where people have a very real familiarity with the concept of hunger.

The total amount of food eaten in a huge country like Pakistan, Indonesia, or Nigeria, is probably smaller than the amount of food that Americans just throw away for the most trivial of reasons.
That's why I'm glad I'm not in Pakistan, Indonesia or Nigeria. I rather be in country that has more food than it knows what to do with rather than a country with more hunger than it knows what to do with.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In spite of that this story says I won't eat turkey this old!

Woman purchases turkey with '07 expiration date - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

(Did you note how all old food this store gets goes to the poor...)
Last holiday season I cooked,served and ate a prime rib roast from my own freezer from 1998.(maybe '97, I forget now)
It was luscious.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was referring to the member in this thread who said they just used spaghetti sauce that expired in 2002.
You know, so long as the can or jar is a sealed environment, and sterilized after the food was put in and the cap on, I can't see how there, theoretically, is ANY expiration date. That is, if every organism in the receptacle has been killed.

This seems like something that was discussed in my high school biology class, but I forgot what was said.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:15 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Fresh eggs can last approximately nine months if kept under good refrigeration. At least that is what I read from old Army food preparation manuals.

Three months is my limit on eggs for the most part.
Yes. I remember reading that there is an ideal temperature in which to store eggs, but that is not the best temperature to store other items in our refrigerators. Probably, the supermarket stores them at the ideal temperature. They last a lot longer if you can manage doing it yourself.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's why I'm glad I'm not in Pakistan, Indonesia or Nigeria. I rather be in country that has more food than it knows what to do with rather than a country with more hunger than it knows what to do with.
Where you like living has nothing to do with the principle. I cannot concur with your opinion that to waste is a virtue. I'm not glad that the culture I live in sets waste as a prioritized objective.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where you like living has nothing to do with the principle. I cannot concur with your opinion that to waste is a virtue. I'm not glad that the culture I live in sets waste as a prioritized objective.
Having excess is not wasting in this case. It's more of an insurance policy. There's plenty of times where one of our food supplies had a shortage to the point where we had to tap into an alternative source. If it wasn't for all those different sources, we'd have periods of no oranges, corn, etc every time a natural disaster strikes.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Last holiday season I cooked,served and ate a prime rib roast from my own freezer from 1998.(maybe '97, I forget now)
It was luscious.
So why do you have 11 year old stuff in your freezer?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So why do you have 11 year old stuff in your freezer?
Because it's somehow frugal to use all that electricity keeping something frozen for 11 years than it is to just buy what you need at any given time.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Because it's somehow frugal to use all that electricity keeping something frozen for 11 years than it is to just buy what you need at any given time.
That's why we keep a freezer inventory. Since I'm not that efficient at keeping it updated, we re-inventory every 3 or 4 months to make sure nothing gets forgotten. Saves us finding ancient frozen packages!

Oldest food I've ever seen was a little can of dry mustard from 1970 - we found it in my brother in law's family cabin. In 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living