Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have never once cracked open a rotten egg, and I've used them well past the sell-by date. Having grown up on a farm where we raising our own livestock for consumption, I really can't be bothered to buy into egg hysteria.
Fresh eggs can last approximately nine months if kept under good refrigeration. At least that is what I read from old Army food preparation manuals.

Three months is my limit on eggs for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
To be fair I've eaten food that were up to 25 yrs old. However, those foods were home canned on ALL glass jars!!! Wouldn't try this with cans.!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To be fair I've eaten food that were up to 25 yrs old. However, those foods were home canned on ALL glass jars!!! Wouldn't try this with cans.!
Where did you get food that was that old?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
My Mom is a hoarder, won't throw anything away, not even food. She has given herself food poisoning seversl times, and missed work.

When in doubt, throw it out. It is not worth risking food poisoning for a can of 25 year old Spam.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have never once cracked open a rotten egg, and I've used them well past the sell-by date. Having grown up on a farm where we raising our own livestock for consumption, I really can't be bothered to buy into egg hysteria.
I don't worry about it either. In fact, because fresh eggs are so hard to peel, if I know I'm going to need hard boiled eggs, I will set them out on the counter for a few days to "age" them.

Also, I don't wash my eggs unless they're really dirty....and then just before I crack them. I've always understood there is a natural film or covering over the eggs, and if you wash that off, you cut down on their shelf life.

Mostly I do the "float test" if I find a hidden nest somewhere and I'm not sure how long they eggs have been there. Sometimes, I can tell just by looking at the eggs - dull, maybe kind of dusty looking. Of course, if you pick one up and shake it and you hear/feel it going "whoosh, whoosh" inside the shell, you don't have to even float it to know you don't want to crack it open.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Much of my food doesn't even have expiration dates.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
There are three depts in a mkt that require a "Best used by Date".

They are in the Dairy case...Deli Case...Frozen food cases.

Canned goods are basically safe for a long period in time.

Package goods are another matter. Cake mix may not rise but bake flat, pkg pasta has the possibility of minute insects that still can enter the sealed pkg. Same could be said about box cereal in wax bags. You probably see my point. Yrs back was in a Grocery Mkt Chain store and many loafs of bread had these tiny insects inside. Won't say what City but it was in Northern Calif.

When it comes down to the refrigerated items some may be slow sellers in a specific clientile area and the store would generally drop the price or show it to be on sale inorder to move the product and restock with fresh dated.

I myself being in the grocery trade way back when made the mistake at Walmart of buying some sausage links at what I thought was a Sale price and after coming home looked at the pk which gave a Best By date which was two days later and the contents should be consumed or frozen immediatley according the label. Reg price of $1.25 and sold at 0.69 ea I picked up 6 pkgs.

So you see things have to be moved via sales or dumpster.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I have to admit I'm not a frugal person. Can someone explain under what circumstances someone would even have 9 month old eggs?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where did you get food that was that old?
My great aunt canned food all her adult life. Often she would share what was on hand when we asked her.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 AM

In spite of that this story says I won't eat turkey this old!

Woman purchases turkey with '07 expiration date - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

(Did you note how all old food this store gets goes to the poor...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living