Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Irrelevant.. except to brag.
Some people don't like cruises.
Some people don't need or want three cruises.
And one European (or wherever) vacation can be better than your 3 cruises.
Assumptions are dangerous - are frequently erroneous. In the last 12 months, we were in Asia as well as Europe. Not all ships are limited to this half of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What frugal people do is refuse to waste their life always selling it for ever more money!

The better any person does conserving ,and rightly, using what resources they have the more of their life they can enjoy in ways other than working themselves to death.

There is a lot of truth in the old saying........Waste not, want not.

It just takes a smart person to see that truth.
Quote:
What you have described is very poor planning that causes waste. No one in their right mind will buy anything on sale just because it's "on sale".

They know their need so they match the sales to those needs to save money. Now that's planning...........
Ah but most who would rather work more to increase income rather than plan or conserve think us not in our right minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
On the contrary, smart people understand the economic concept of diminishing returns.

I'm not against frugality in general, but there's a limit at which point it doesn't make sense anymore.

There's a lot of discussion around saving money here and there.... but the focus should be on saving time. Money is virtually unlimited, time is limited.
NJ, very few of us are business owners having others work hard for a pittance while the few reap the rewards. I'm glad you were smart enough and had available funds to being your businesses. Kudos to you. So don't worry about shopping for groceries while trying to minimize output. For the rest of us, it's how we are able to either make ends meet - it was for me for most of my adult life and now is simply a way of life in retirement.

And you probably don't understand the importance of a single parent trying to maximize his/her home time while not depriving the children of essentials. Frugal living and conserving are how those who are not walking away from their debts have done and are doing it. While there are thousands of people asking to be bailed out of their mortgages because they didn't live frugally, those who adhered to the concepts are still buying homes and cars, albeit not mcmansions or benzes.

Again, kudos to you for paying off your college loans in full or saving throughout your early years to be able to buy/start-up businesses that are paying you well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
On the contrary, smart people understand the economic concept of diminishing returns.

I'm not against frugality in general, but there's a limit at which point it doesn't make sense anymore.

There's a lot of discussion around saving money here and there.... but the focus should be on saving time. Money is virtually unlimited, time is limited.
Your point of view disrespects those who are opportunist that take advantage of sales of dated goods. You assume (you know that that word breaks down to) that all who are frugal make it a life's goal when in truth they just like saving money when they can. They don't worry about mundane things like the "point of diminishing returns" which is best applied to major purchases.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:16 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
"Ah but most who would rather work more to increase income rather than plan or conserve think us not in our right minds."

HUH!?!

And yes means no?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 PM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My daughter is currently living in China. She says EVERYTHING in their local supermarket is past its expiration date. Apparently no one in her dorm has gotten sick yet!

Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Assumptions are dangerous - are frequently erroneous. In the last 12 months, we were in Asia as well as Europe. Not all ships are limited to this half of the world.
Sorry, I assumed nothing. And I don't see where anyone said anything about ship limitations.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:08 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't care about the expiration date: if it looks, taste and smells right - I will eat it

I am known to eat stuff from my pantry that is ( that's the question - maybe 10+ years old?? )
Just last weekend I made spaghetti sauce using a jar with expiration date 2002. The sauce was delicious!!
Were we twins separated at birth?

I don't worry about expiration dates at all. As long as the bread ain't moldy, I'll eat it. And I buy a lot of stuff that's been discounted because of the date, or in the case of cans, been dented. I buy almost all my meat out of the discounted bin. If I'm not going to cook it right away, it goes into the freezer. That is how I manage to have a full freezer. Besides, I can't afford to buy things like roasts and hams and steaks at full price but I do get them often at half off their original cost.

As far as eggs - I have chickens so I know the eggs are very fresh (like, sometimes, minutes old) when they go in the refrigerator and they keep for a very long time. I also have fresh milk twice a day from my goat, so I don't worry about expiration dates there either. Eggs and milk (and some other dairy products) would be the only things I would worry about the expiration dates on.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Marinated a steak last night in a bottled marinade that had an expiration of 2008. It was fine and steak was tasty and tender.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
NJ, very few of us are business owners having others work hard for a pittance while the few reap the rewards. I'm glad you were smart enough and had available funds to being your businesses. Kudos to you. So don't worry about shopping for groceries while trying to minimize output. For the rest of us, it's how we are able to either make ends meet - it was for me for most of my adult life and now is simply a way of life in retirement.

And you probably don't understand the importance of a single parent trying to maximize his/her home time while not depriving the children of essentials. Frugal living and conserving are how those who are not walking away from their debts have done and are doing it. While there are thousands of people asking to be bailed out of their mortgages because they didn't live frugally, those who adhered to the concepts are still buying homes and cars, albeit not mcmansions or benzes.
I am frugal, don't get me wrong. But there's a limit in how far I'll go.

Those who need bailing out just spent more than they make. It is not explicitly related to frugality like you suggest. If they chose to have a higher income, then they would be fine as well.

I never understood why people bring up mcmansions as if they were the cause of mortgage issues. By definition, mcmansions are designed to be cheap, low architecure, oversized homes a small pieces of land. So buying cheap homes was a bad financial move?
Quote:

Again, kudos to you for paying off your college loans in full or saving throughout your early years to be able to buy/start-up businesses that are paying you well.
Just to be clear, I was frugal when it came to college and didn't take on any debt. I started my first business with no money and a lot of networking.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Your point of view disrespects those who are opportunist that take advantage of sales of dated goods. You assume (you know that that word breaks down to) that all who are frugal make it a life's goal when in truth they just like saving money when they can. They don't worry about mundane things like the "point of diminishing returns" which is best applied to major purchases.
Yes, it was a direct response to your disrespectful post.

The diminishing returns was referencing effort invested. Not money.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM

437 posts, read 792,652 times
A penny saved is one you do not have to work for, as per George........

George eats trash - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living