Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
If by "raw" you mean dried, beans need to be soaked first.

The simple way to do this is overnight. Just put them in a bowl, cover with water and let them sit while you sleep.

Drain, rinse, and sort, and cook them the next day.

If you forget to do the overnight thing, you can do a fast-soak. Rinse, drain and sort your beans. Put them in a heavy pot with enough water to cover and bring to a boil for ~2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let sit for one hour. Then drain, rinse, and cook.

And yes, "old" beans may take longer than fresh beans to cook, but they should still cook. Provided they've been soaked in one the above methods.

p.s. Oh, and don't add acid (tomatoes, vinegar, etc) until the beans are fully tender. Acid will prevent the the skin of the beans from breaking down and you will end up with tough beans.
Thanks. I boiled the heck out of those beans, changing water several times. It was such a rotten experience that I am discouraged from trying it again. I get canned beans now. Life is much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I once saw how catsup was made and never ate catsup after that for about 10 yrs.
What's with the catsup, Steve?
Do you think it is still so horrible or has that, too, improved with better government regulations?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM

I am not that young, but in my life Ive had about 3 juicers and got rid of them because they are too much trouble, mostly to clean.
I have a bread machine which I no longer use. I bought it from a company that I worked for.
Meat grinders. I like double ground meat or finely ground meat. I, every now and again, toy with getting a grinder, but again, I think it would be too much trouble to clean.
I would prefer an electric one.
This is only for my husband and myself so it might not be worth it.
Pretty much, the only electric tool that I use, and not very often, is my immersion blender.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am not that young, but in my life Ive had about 3 juicers and got rid of them because they are too much trouble, mostly to clean.
I have a bread machine which I no longer use. I bought it from a company that I worked for.
Meat grinders. I like double ground meat or finely ground meat. I, every now and again, toy with getting a grinder, but again, I think it would be too much trouble to clean.
I would prefer an electric one.
This is only for my husband and myself so it might not be worth it.
Pretty much, the only electric tool that I use, and not very often, is my immersion blender.
on ebay, they sell these little white electric grinders that are over 2000 watts-they are little powerhouses
and only around 100.00
you can put a whole chicken leg thru them and it will grind the bone, so, if you grind beef, pork or chicken, it works very well

ive made sausage , ground chicken, ground pork
, and grind up my own steaks/roasts

and they are very easy to clean

Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Oh yes the Catsup thingy. Am going way back now since I'm a old fogey.

Knew where there were women that wore gloves and peeled the skin from the tomatos that were cleansed in HOT water...so you see how long ago that was....anyway some spoiled bad looking tomatos were supposed to be pulled on the assembly line but would get by and mix with the good tomatos. Had a chance to personally view the assembly line where I lived at the time.

Who eats a bad tomato from the fridge now days. I'm not talking over ripe but a bad one.

Also knew a girl (we were in High School) that worked part time in a pickle factory where she hand packed pickles into a jar...now you know how they ended up verticle in the jars on the store shelves.

Also there was a winery close by that had mice/rats accidentally get into the vats...Added flavor I guess. A friend of the family lived next door to the winery thus got the info first hand.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
on ebay, they sell these little white electric grinders that are over 2000 watts-they are little powerhouses
and only around 100.00
you can put a whole chicken leg thru them and it will grind the bone, so, if you grind beef, pork or chicken, it works very well

ive made sausage , ground chicken, ground pork
, and grind up my own steaks/roasts

and they are very easy to clean
Do you know the manufacturer's name?
Thanks for the info.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Oh yes the Catsup thingy. Am going way back now since I'm a old fogey.

Knew where there were women that wore gloves and peeled the skin from the tomatoes that were cleansed in HOT water...so you see how long ago that was....anyway some spoiled bad looking tomatoes were supposed to be pulled on the assembly line but would get by and mix with the good tomatoes. Had a chance to personally view the assembly line where I lived at the time.

Who eats a bad tomato from the fridge now days. I'm not talking over ripe but a bad one.

Also knew a girl (we were in High School) that worked part time in a pickle factory where she hand packed pickles into a jar...now you know how they ended up vertical in the jars on the store shelves.

Also there was a winery close by that had mice/rats accidentally get into the vats...Added flavor I guess. A friend of the family lived next door to the winery thus got the info first hand.
We think our food is so pure, but just a very small amount ever really gets inspected and I supposed there are 'deals' in which some of the scheduled inspections are bypassed. Did you ever watch Gordon Ramsay's show, Kitchen Nightmares? He would visit restaurants, mostly in the US, and more often than not find a LOT of health violations in them. Lots of fungus, bacteria, rat droppings.

As bad as fast food is for us, at least they have some sort of cleanliness standards because you often can actually see the kitchens.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
We think our food is so pure, but just a very small amount ever really gets inspected and I supposed there are 'deals' in which some of the scheduled inspections are bypassed. Did you ever watch Gordon Ramsay's show, Kitchen Nightmares? He would visit restaurants, mostly in the US, and more often than not find a LOT of health violations in them. Lots of fungus, bacteria, rat droppings.

As bad as fast food is for us, at least they have some sort of cleanliness standards because you often can actually see the kitchens.
Ive seen this too- but think about it- no matter how dyfunctional you are- if you know gordon ramsey is coming to your restaurant- aren't ya gonna clean out the crap before he gets there??
This is television- some of this has to be staged
if not, and the restaurant always had this spoiled stuff- then theyd be sue'd out of existence for food poisoning

Old 12-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Ive seen this too- but think about it- no matter how dysfunctional you are- if you know gordon ramsey is coming to your restaurant- aren't ya gonna clean out the crap before he gets there??
This is television- some of this has to be staged
if not, and the restaurant always had this spoiled stuff- then theyd be sue'd out of existence for food poisoning
No. You have to prove damages to sue.

I think it's real, at least that part.

You think about it, too - after Ramsay(he spells it with two "a's" I believe) turns around their business and leaves, the same management is still in charge. Would you want to go to that restaurant? Would you trust that they keep up the momentum in cleaning and throwing out old food?

Some, when he visits later, go back to their old ways and some wait for Ramsay to give them a winning game plan and after several months of showing great sales, they sell the business (this is fine, Ramsay gets his tv show and they get rich from the sale).

I noticed that the Kitchen Nightmares that were in GB did not have the prevalence of sanitation problems. My husband, who is British, says they were very serious about food inspectors doing their job when he was there.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I don't know if this is still the case, but in the early 70's, when I worked in the office of a store that also had a restaurant.....they were given weeks notice when there was going to be an inspection.

If you are going to give advanced notice of an inspection, what is the point?

I would hope that by now.....the policy of giving advanced notice of an inspection has changed.....but it wouldn't surprise me if it hadn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living