Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

Lot of "SMOKE being blown here from some who have NO idea of how a Grocery store operates.

Stock the shelves...work in the back room as a receiving clerk...stock the frozen food case from the backroom freezer...refill the dairy case...work as a cashier are just part of the stores operations as a clerk other then being the 3rd man...2nd man and then as store Mgr.

Then above that there is the District Supervisor for the Grocery stores in a district...a Meat Supervisor...Deli Supervisor...Produce Supervisor...Liquor Dept Supervisor.

Can any knowledged person tell me what a 3rd or 2nd man are?

Only someone that has extensive Grocery knowledge/experience would be able to answer the question.

Al the hoopla about who/when checks the "best by date" is all hogwash and conjecture.

Steve (23 yrs in the Grocery Trade)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Lot of "SMOKE being blown here from some who have NO idea of how a Grocery store operates.

Stock the shelves...work in the back room as a receiving clerk...stock the frozen food case from the backroom freezer...refill the dairy case...work as a cashier are just part of the stores operations as a clerk other then being the 3rd man...2nd man and then as store Mgr.

Then above that there is the District Supervisor for the Grocery stores in a district...a Meat Supervisor...Deli Supervisor...Produce Supervisor...Liquor Dept Supervisor.

Can any knowledged person tell me what a 3rd or 2nd man are?

Only someone that has extensive Grocery knowledge/experience would be able to answer the question.

Al the hoopla about who/when checks the "best by date" is all hogwash and conjecture.

Steve (23 yrs in the Grocery Trade)
I'm not sure who that's directed at but my post about who/when best by dates are checked is the practice at our chain, which is not a grocery store, although we do have a grocery/dairy dept.
Our vendors do not give us authorization to discount their mdse because of overstock or out of date situations. Some vendors will pick up the mdse and issue credit (my personal theory is that stuff goes to places like Big Lots), but outdated mdse from several of our vendors, and anything from our warehouse, simply gets destroyed without any credit. Considering that we do use a schedule to pull outdated mdse we wind up pulling mdse from the shelves anywhere from 30 to 90 days before the 'best by' date.
I find it depressing to have to destroy quite a bit of perfectly good food because the company is so concerned about possible repercussions that they won't sell it or even donate it. I don't even want to speculate about how much food is thrown away at a full size grocery. I think far too many people do have the idea that they are going to be 'poisoned' by anything that has gone beyond the freshness date, and it creates massive waste.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
The only things that I check dates on are dairy and meat. I have NEVER found my local store remiss in keeping these things on the shelves too long. I have frequented other supermarkets, however, in which these old items are still on the shelves and I no longer shop there.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quite simply, my "best by" date is my nose. It's best by the date that it smells bad.

Freezer-burn? Trim it off.
Sour milk? Use it for baking, or on cereal, which has plenty of sugar.
Dried out cheese edges? Chew them up and eat them while watching TV at night.
Bugs in meal? Protein.
Stale bread? Croutons or bread-pudding, or french toast.

I literally go weeks or months without throwing away anything besides banana peels and egg shells. If in doubt, eat it.

I have a bottle of ranch dressing I use occasionally. It's in the cupboard, room temperature, half used. Dated October, 2009. I used some a couple weeks ago. What could possibly be wrong with it? There are a dozen preservative chemicals in there to give it a shelf life of a hundred years.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I have a bottle of ranch dressing I use occasionally. It's in the cupboard, room temperature, half used. Dated October, 2009. I used some a couple weeks ago. What could possibly be wrong with it? There are a dozen preservative chemicals in there to give it a shelf life of a hundred years.
Oh, that is SO funny! I keep my old dressings in the fridge and do discard them from time to time, but I'll bet you're right.

I keep bread in the freezer and only take out a few slices as I require them. They thaw out really quickly if you separate them. Pasta, too. I boil excess and strain what we don't use well and bag them and throw them in the freezer. It only takes a few minutes in boiling water to restore it.

I do enjoy tearing up stale bread and bagging it with a small amount of water to be given to the birds the next day. They have found that birds do not migrate because of cold temperatures, but because of lack of food in an area.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Quite simply, my "best by" date is my nose. It's best by the date that it smells bad.

Bugs in meal? Protein.

I literally go weeks or months without throwing away anything besides banana peels and egg shells. If in doubt, eat it.

Freezer burn? I'm throwing it out. I worked too long and too hard in my life to eat what I consider sub-par.

Sour milk? I use it for baking if I'm baking when I have it. I am not using it on my cereal.

Dried out cheese ends? Throw 'em in the soup or stew as it's cooking. I'll have popcorn for my snack, TYVM.

Bugs in meal? No, thanks. I'll get my protein from other sources.

Stale bread? I freeze it and by Christmas, I have enough to make Stuffin' Muffins for the family dinner.

I'm frugal. I'm not penurious. If I reach a stage in my life where I have no choice, I will consume whatever food there is. But I don't have too many more meals on my dance card so I'm going to eat the best I can while I can.

Yes, I check the sell by dates when I shop. Very rarely do I find expired items and I shop among four different food stores. And while I occasionally find expired items at Big Lots, it's rare and I attribute it to customer shuffle. I do agree that most items are good well past the use by dates, especially canned goods. I don't want to buy them past the date in case they remain in my backstock longer than I feel comfortable.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I worked too long and too hard in my life to eat what I consider sub-par.
The counterpoint to that is that I will work too long and too hard to earn the money to replace food that I throw out. Money, in my experience, is too hard to replace when it's gone.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:

Ok, I'm pretty casual about "use by" dates, but I think I'd be drawing the line with two year old unrefrigerated salad dressing - with or without the preservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Pasta, too. I boil excess and strain what we don't use well and bag them and throw them in the freezer.
I do this with dried beans. In fact, I'm pre-cooking some kidney beans right now for tonight's chili. I'll put what I need into the chili and freeze the rest for a future meal when I won't have time to pre-cook them.

I have never bought a can of beans in my life - only the dried ones.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

Bugs in meal? Protein.

Speaking of bugs, my brother's friend used to work in a bakery. He opened the cake mix one day and told his boss there were bugs in it. The boss said, "sift them out". So he did.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Speaking of bugs, my brother's friend used to work in a bakery. He opened the cake mix one day and told his boss there were bugs in it. The boss said, "sift them out". So he did.
Ewwwww!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living