Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:04 PM

65 posts, read 234,328 times

Advertisements

So I reserved an apartment at the new apartment complex in North Richland Hills (The Venue at Hometown). I'll be relocating there from New Jersey in March. I kind of took a stab in the dark because I didn't want to stay in a hotel when I got down there.

From what I could tell, it's a nice area, but I'm not familiar with the area at all. I've been to Austin and Houston, but only driven through the DFW area on my way to Austin.

What is North Richland Hills like? Are there any good local hangouts? Is it more of a rural area or is it built up quite a bit? Are there a lot of people my around my age (mid-20's) or is it all families?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm rather excited and can't wait to get down there! For those who don't know where the apartments are in NRH, see my link below for the location on google maps (location is close but not exact... looks like google maps doesn't have the street that it's actually on in their system yet).

Cardinal Dr, North Richland Hills, TX 76180 - Google Maps

Also, I will be working in Arlington across the street from the Six Flags, so any info/tips on the commute would be greatly appreciated as well.

Looking forward to joining y'all soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
North Richland Hills is quite large and varied. There are tons of family things, but there are also all kinds of singles things. It just depends on what kind of things interest you.

My daughter is 25 and has attended the games of the Fort Worth Brahmas (ice hockey) with her friends which is just up the street from there and loves it!
There's an ice cream place, Starucks and several restaurants-BullBoxer31, Carinos, Red Hot and Blue- they've all liked. Also, all kinds of shopping in the strip center across the street and a good sized mall not far away either.

There's a water park practically in your backyard, though it's definitely geared towards families more than 20 somethings. Next door to that there is a miniature golf center with go carts, batting cages and arcade games that is frequented by all ages.

There's a new coffee house south on Precinct opening up next week called Seekers that is going to be a bit different. It will have live music on the weekends, offer some food and some meeting space. It's geared toward family friendly atmosphere and based somewhat on a religious foundation. (I know the owners haha)

The city has all kinds of recreational things available as well that are worth checking into.

Again, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 PM

Wow... I wasn't expecting that much stuff to do! Thanks for the great info! That Seekers place sounds right up my alley. What do you mean by a "religious foundation"? Is it more like a christian rock music joint?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,620,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisco750 View Post
Wow... I wasn't expecting that much stuff to do! Thanks for the great info! That Seekers place sounds right up my alley. What do you mean by a "religious foundation"? Is it more like a christian rock music joint?
Basically it's a faith based company striving for a wholesome atmosphere. (using some of their words) They want it to be a place where families can feel totally comfortable coming, yet still enjoy coffee and some good music. They are offering a place where small community meetings can be held along with bible study groups and any other groups that need a place to meet. Supporting that they will be closed on Sundays.

We visited with them last weekend and got a tour. It's very nicely done and expect it to be a great success for them.
Check out the seekers coffee website and it will give you a better idea.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 AM

26 posts, read 166,636 times
My impression of NRH is more family atmosphere. I believe you would get more of the singles feel around where you work in Arlington, since there is a University located there as well (UTA). You are not far at all from a very nice mall (Northeast mall). There is a Nordstrom, movie theater, Macy's, etc. In general, NRH is centrally located to both Arlington and Fort Worth. Overall, good location to choose!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM

How easy is it to get tickets to the Dallas Cowboys games? I'm a huge Redskins fan (I know.. not the best place for a 'skins fan to live! haha) and would love to go see them once a year when they play the Cowboys. However, where I am currently in New Jersey, it's about an hour drive to the stadium and the ONLY way to get tickets is to pay about 2-3x face value since there is a waiting list that's almost 15 years long.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,930,464 times
To answer your question: A lot of traffic!

I'm also originally from NJ and moved to FW in 2006. If you have any "culture shock" questions, feel free to know. It is much different out here! I live in FW but pass through NRH when going to DFW Airport or N. Dallas. For a 20-something guy like you, you'll find downtown FW (Sundance Square) quite enjoyable. It's maybe a 20 min. drive from NRH. Have a great move!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:58 PM

49 posts, read 196,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
To answer your question: A lot of traffic!

I'm also originally from NJ and moved to FW in 2006. If you have any "culture shock" questions, feel free to know. It is much different out here! I live in FW but pass through NRH when going to DFW Airport or N. Dallas. For a 20-something guy like you, you'll find downtown FW (Sundance Square) quite enjoyable. It's maybe a 20 min. drive from NRH. Have a great move!
Hey had to jump in here! Came to Keller from "Jersey" in 2005. Love to hear blurbs from all the "Jersey Transplants". Did you hear about the wheather on Feb.22? 6 inches of snow in Monmouth. Pictures in the Asbury Park Press of people with the day off sleighriding in Marine Park. I don't miss that!

NJT

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,930,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jersey Texan View Post
Hey had to jump in here! Came to Keller from "Jersey" in 2005. Love to hear blurbs from all the "Jersey Transplants". Did you hear about the wheather on Feb.22? 6 inches of snow in Monmouth. Pictures in the Asbury Park Press of people with the day off sleighriding in Marine Park. I don't miss that!

NJT
Yeah, I know what you mean. My parents still live there and my mother complained to me over the weekend that they got 8-9" of snow! I told them I was running errands wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

They'll get even as we swelter in 105-deg. heat in Aug. But for now, let us enjoy the relatively warm winters here in TX.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM

Haha... yeah, the snow here was ridiculous.. I'm in the northwestern part of the state (about 20 miles east of the Delaware Water Gap) and we got about 9 inches of snow. Luckily I'm able to work from home in those conditions... but a lot of people had to deal with that mess on the way to work! Ick

Is the traffic really THAT bad?? On the map it's only about 12 miles to work door-to-door. I'll be working right across the street from the new stadium. I thought traffic here in NY/NJ area was only rivaled by Los Angeles! My current commute to work is about 25 miles (to Parsippany if you're familiar with it) and it takes me a little over an hour when school's in session. I have heard about traffic in DFW, but I just assumed there was no way it could be as bad as here!

I'll definitely check out Sundance Square! What is it like? Is there anything in the area that compares to 6th Street in Austin? I absolutely loved that! Live music and gorgeous women everywhere... could walk between bars... had a blast down there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth