Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 28,966 times

Advertisements

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows of neighborhoods in Fort Myers that have lots of families and children around? My husband and I are looking forward to starting a family and upgrading to a house within the next few years and it is important to me to be in a neighborhood with a "family" feel. The kind of place where lots of people decorate at Christmas and do trick or treating on Halloween, that kind of thing.

I am tired of living in neighborhoods that are mostly retirees and/or people who come into the state, work for a few years, then move away. I don't want our next neighborhood to have that kind of feeling if you know what I mean....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM

128 posts, read 648,157 times
It used be Tanglewood but I'm not sure anymore. I do know that Three Oaks seems to be a good choice for families and parts of San Carlos Park. Its hard to say anymore with people losing they're jobs I don't think any place is to stable like neighborhoods up north were.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:06 PM

24 posts, read 132,988 times
Gateway is very family-oriented and has plenty of kids. Schools may be an issue, though.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 28,966 times
I have heard that about Gateway....although I have a feeling we'd be in our fifties before we'd be able to afford a house in there. ;-) What do you mean about the schools? just curious. thanks.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 AM

24 posts, read 132,988 times
There are better public schools in Fort Myers than those that the Gateway residents can go to. Gateway is in the east zone so they mostly can attend Lehigh schools. There is a charter school in Gateway but I have heard mixed results.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
Default San Carlos Park

I was renting in Naples for two years and when prices started going downward, I knew I couldn't afford much in Naples, but I heard about San Carlos Park. My husband and I, on many different occasions, drove through the area, looking at different streets and different houses and so on.

Now, of course you have your shady streets...but you would have that in any neighborhood. I wouldn't live on any street with duplexes, because then that means you would have different renters moving in and out.

But we have two children, and it definitely is a "neighborhood". WHere we used to live, it was really a child-friendly area, so every Halloween, we used to have to drive to a neighborhood to go trick-or-treating. This is the kind of neighborhood you can do that in. Kids on each block.

Luckily, for schooling, San Carlos is in the "middle" zone, which means you get to pick schools from all three of the zones in fort myers. All that means is that you have more choices than other zones, so you have more shots at picking schools.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 34,965 times
Default family friendly neighborhoods

I'd suggest Danforth Lakes- off Daniels/Palomino- South Zone for schools and easy access to airport and 75.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 88,633 times
I know SW Fort mYers is the best area. I would look into Bellamar At Beachwalk...

Old 06-23-2008, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 24,547 times
I am moving to PGI at the end of July and I have two young daughters (10 & 11). I am very concerned with some of the threads I have read. I did research on Sallie Jones Elementary and Punta Gorda Middle. My children have always attended a Charter School in Atlanta and I hope that some of the same statndards apply. I have been sending resumes out in droves, as I worked in finance with Emory University Hospital, I got several replys, but it seemed as soon as they learned I was still in Georgia, they lost intrest. I have a father who lives in Port Charlotte, but I don't want to live there. Are there any children in PGI? Are there any people my age (47) who still live a little on weekends after work maybe? Please let me know.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 24,547 times
Question to florida girl

I am pretty much in the same predicament as you are. I have two small children and I have been told the PGI is a nice place to live. I researched some schools and I have had some responses regarding jobs. But I am still confused as to where to go. My father lives in Port Charlotte. However I would very much like to be near a beach and nice neighbors. I am still young (45) and I would also like to know what do people my age participate in? Does any one know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area