Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 17,973 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job transfer that will have him working in Ft Myers, just north of the Airport. We are at a loss as to where we should look for a rental (either a house or apartment community). We have 2 small children ages 8 and 2 so of course schools and safety are of great importance. I have reasearched the schools down in the area and I already know that Cape Coral zone has the best schools, but if anyone has any input on specific schools wither in Lee county or out, that would be awesome! Also, we are looking for real "neighborhood" family communities with great programs, etc. What areas should we center our search in? We are looking for a 30 minute maximum commute for my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM

101 posts, read 272,304 times
Check out Gateway, lots of families living there and it is really close to where you are talking about, it would be a very easy commute. (I don't live in Gateway, but when I drive through there it looks very nice) We ended up in town off Mcgregor and love it.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi78 View Post
My husband has accepted a job transfer that will have him working in Ft Myers, just north of the Airport. We are at a loss as to where we should look for a rental (either a house or apartment community). We have 2 small children ages 8 and 2 so of course schools and safety are of great importance. I have reasearched the schools down in the area and I already know that Cape Coral zone has the best schools, but if anyone has any input on specific schools wither in Lee county or out, that would be awesome! Also, we are looking for real "neighborhood" family communities with great programs, etc. What areas should we center our search in? We are looking for a 30 minute maximum commute for my husband.
I was at cape harbor this week talking to a woman who worked in one of the shops she said her son goes to gulf elementary in sw cape coral and he/ and she loved it. A man in the store overheard our conversation and said he was a substitute teacher and thought gulf was the best of the schools he's been to.

As far as communities look into sandoval.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 18,004 times
Lee county schools website is really informative. Here's a link to school performance grades. Welcome to The School District of Lee County

Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,012,673 times
School of choice and most people new to the area don't usually get their first or second choice of schools. At least that's what I have heard talking to a number of different people with kids in the district and people who actually work for the district. My advice would be private. There are millions of threads similar to yours, do yourself and us a favor, use the search function!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Will you per chance be working in Gateway? There are a lot of businesses along the southern border of Gateway which is not far to the north of the airport. If yes, there are all kinds of housing choices within the 25 or so individual communities within Gateway, including new construction. There is also a charter elementary and charter high school within Gateway that may help address the schools issue. Our kids are grown up and so the whole perplexing school situation down here (which boggles my mind) is not something we have explored, so I do not know if there are any issues getting into the charter schools or even if the charter schools are any good. The buildings look nice, but it is what goes on inside that counts.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM

260 posts, read 563,039 times
Our kids go to a private school, I personally wouldn't send my kids to a public school here.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM

646 posts, read 1,642,101 times
Please know that we have what is known as "student assignment" here in Lee County. Schools are not picked by where you live, in zones, but by a lottery system. However, there are many schools to choose from.
I would look at greatschools.org and see what parents are saying about the schools. As far as being 30min from North of the airport for work, you will want to stay in the East side of Cape Coral then. My new office is located about 8min southwest of the airport and it takes me 35min+ and that is in summer-Winter I can easily add 20-30more minutes.

Gateway
Danforth Lakes is a nice community-not gated.
Bella Terra

Ft Myers rentals, with at least 3beds start from about $825/mth and up...currently there are about 191 available right now.
Cape Coral- 236 for Rent starting at about $725/mth+

I would zone in on schools-ask around different facebook groups in the area with children. That is the best way-ask real, live people who still live here and who currently have children at these schools. Then I would figure out what you want...single family rental or condo. What amenities are important?
I would plan a trip down so you can see these areas and schools in person.

Hope this info helps! I was once in your shoes....it is mind bogglin' trying to figure out new areas, but know that if you don't like the area-you can always move. That is the beauty about renting at first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area