Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 AM

8,022 posts, read 4,692,558 times

Advertisements

As someone who is considering a semi-retirement move to Ft. Myers in the next 18 months, I'm interested in opinions of Ft. Myers historic neighborhoods. And the best ones. Issues of concern: Safety, noise, litter, investment appreciation, etc. The research I have done so far indicate there are some beautiful areas with historic houses at great prices (compared to the Northeast).

Are the historic neighborhoods with houses needing restoration safe? Are contractors capable of working on older houses available?

Thanks for any and all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM

41 posts, read 148,407 times
There is a historic neighborhood downtown Fort Myers and it is a combination safe and unsafe. This city is different than most cities in the way you may have a 500.000 house next to a shack. Some places downtown are shacks and some are restored and worth a fortune. Right in the middle of the down town historic section are some condo's that once sold in the millions and are very nice. By once I mean maybe a couple years ago when the economy was going gang buster's. Right now the deal's are abundant on condo's and house's. For instance I built a house that I sold in 2004 for 120.000. The lady who bought it from me sold it in 2007 for 220.000 and it was sold this past year in a auction for 29.000 . All it needed was some paint.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Specifically, Can anyone comment on the Ft Myers Country Club - Hill Avenue area between McGregor and Cleveland? It seems to typically be an area of a few large, attractive historic houses on the same block as more modest ranch houses. Is this area around the golf course considered desirable, quiet and safe?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM

21 posts, read 88,334 times
Default Fort myers country club

It used to be a great area but is now facing about 1 0ut of 10 foreclosures. Some bad tenants are moving in.
So you are taking your chances. Native & realtor

Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Specifically, Can anyone comment on the Ft Myers Country Club - Hill Avenue area between McGregor and Cleveland? It seems to typically be an area of a few large, attractive historic houses on the same block as more modest ranch houses. Is this area around the golf course considered desirable, quiet and safe?
I think the surrounding neighborhoods of FMCC are just ok at best. Specifically as you get closer to 41 there are a few apartment / duplex areas which aren't so nice. I would suggest you stay as close to McGregor as possible.

Whiskey Creek & Tanglewood are very nice areas but I don't think many qualify as "historic". I jog on weekends from Publix (1st st) down Mcgregor past the Edison home. I would suggest you look at this area of MCG as well but it may be in the higher price range.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,019 times
There are some great historic homes in downtown Ft Myers. The "better" areas are near the Edison/Ford Museums on McGregor and continuing (on west side, riverfront) towards Colonial Parkway/Veterans Bridge.

Some of these neighborhoods are on the National Register and are eligible for grants, as the city has four historic districts (Dean Park, Edison Park, Seminole Park, and the Downtown). Check with Florida Trust for specifics and local historic organizations that can help you:
Florida Trust For Historic Preservation

In the downtown area, east of 41 and west of Fowler, as you move south and away from the River to Edison (Baseball Stadium), these neighborhoods are historic, but definately have some crime issues. This also includes the CC area you mentioned, west of 41 to McGregor and south of downtown all the way Colonial.

My suggestion would be to contact the FM Police dept. and attend the local Neighborhood Watch meetings before you purchase:
Neighborhood Watch

Am curious as to WHY you posted to CD first, before checking with City Government Historic Preservation Planner:
http://www.cityftmyers.com/Departmen...7/Default.aspx
Or City Historian, (who could have easily given you this info.)?:
http://www.swflmuseumofhistory.com/P...9/Default.aspx

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-11-2009 at 01:35 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 02:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,964 times
I don't know if there are any deals to be had, but Punta Gorda has a very nice residential historic district without the crime associated with Fort Myers.
City of Punta Gorda Main Page (http://www.ci.punta-gorda.fl.us/departments/commdevelopment/historic.htm - broken link)

Old 09-12-2009, 08:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,332 times
yes, PG has a small amount of the element you are looking for. Also check out St. Augustine, bayside downtown St. Petersburg, Lake Cherokee/Eola Orlando, Baldwin Park Orlando (new urbanist), Hyde Park Tampa, Key West

closer to home, also check out Boca Grande, Gaspirilla, on the gulf from Port Charlotte, if you have very deep pockets

if you like old, like we do, but can't afford the real thing in a safe neighbourhood, and think Tampa/Orlando is too cold in January....

check out my neighbourhood

Paseo Ft. Myers

the best thing is that these are townhouses built around a shared park/pool where you meet and interact with your neighbours...then there is a whole bunch of things going on at the town centre

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

Am curious as to WHY you posted to CD first, before checking with City Government Historic Preservation Planner:
Historic Preservation
Or City Historian, (who could have easily given you this info.)?:
Museum Staff[/quote]

I posted here first because I am involved in local government and understand it should be the last place to go for objective information relating what neighborhoods may be better (safer, cleaner, etc.) than others. For obvious reasons, it would be unwise for city employees to make such critical judgements, if asked. People here are able to speak freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area