Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM

22 posts, read 87,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some rational responses as to where are the best schools in Cape Coral for a family with 4 kids (one in high school, three in elementary).

For those of you who live there, if you had the choice, where would you send your kids for public school? Especially for the younger ones, we prefer to live close to the school where they go instead of moms-taxi (we don't like bussing).

We currently live in Central Wisconsin and are considering moving to the Cape Coral area to take advantage of warmer weather and the real estate situation.

And please, no rants about crime and how bad it is. I live in small town Wisconsin where the city and surrounding area has 75,000 people and we have a greater number of sex offenders, Asian gang problems, and probably more guns than people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLedger View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some rational responses as to where are the best schools in Cape Coral for a family with 4 kids (one in high school, three in elementary).

For those of you who live there, if you had the choice, where would you send your kids for public school? Especially for the younger ones, we prefer to live close to the school where they go instead of moms-taxi (we don't like bussing).
"Unlike other school Districts that base enrollment on where a family lives, Lee County Public Schools follows the “Choice Model.” To view the procedures, the documents needed for enrollment and more, visit the Student Assignment Department’s Web page (http://www.leeschools.net/dept/sta/register_new.htm)."

There has been ample information supplied by those who actually have children in the system in previous posts & the "procedures". Take some time to read them.

Basically, you do have a "choice" but you need to have a physical address before you can enroll & if that school is already filled, then your child goes to the next one you "choose". Obviously, the best ones are generally always filled at enrollment time. It works great for some while others live a nightmare. It will require some extensive research on your part.

If you don't like bussing or mom's taxi, are you wanting them to be able to walk/ride bike to school?

Last edited by 121804; 05-21-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. We downloaded the Lee County School District Annual report which turned out to be a helpful document and they put all their school ratings in there.

We would prefer to live closer to our school of choice because one of our younger children is disabled so we have to drive him to school and would prefer if it wasn't a 20 minute drive one way.

Our current school in Wausau, Wisconsin is a 30 sec. drive and we like being close to it.

We hope to purchase a property between $180k-$200k which I hope would put us in some decent areas in Cape Coral where we could move into a new home.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 AM

132 posts, read 557,448 times
I beleive all of the elementary schools in the Cape are good. Robinson Littleton Elementary is just over the North Fort Myers border but that is an excellent school as well. I think it's been an "A" school for 7 or 8 straight years. Pine Island elementary is awesome as well. It's on Pine island but if you like small town living Pine Island might be a great choice.
I really don't know a lot about the High schools. I know some really good teachers at Mariner and Cape High. I also worked for the Principal at Baker high years ago (at a different school) and he always runs a tight ship.
You'll have no trouble at all finding a great place for $180 - $200K
Someone is sure to post that you'll be mugged as soon as you arrive and list 100 reasons why Cape Coral is the worst place in the world. Don't believe it. I'm not saying it perfect, but it's very nice, clean, safe and now VERY affordable.
Good luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks MikeP for your response. For the people who have been living in the Cape for a while, the loss of vitality in the area can seem depressing. However, for those of us coming from other places, we see opportunity.

Thankfully, I have been blessed with a great job in technology that allows me to work remotely from anywhere

Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 AM

I did read somewhere though that Mariner High School had a lot of fights there.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 AM

128 posts, read 648,694 times
Ledger, I can't really comment on the schools my kids went to schools in Fort Myers. What I did want to comment on was if you are looking to buy in the Cape you can find some very good deals in that price range. The one thing you MUST check is that all the assessments have been payed, they are doing a big sewer and water project and it costs ALOT of money for the hookup. Also, the school choice thing is not a sure thing as far as getting your first choice we usually ended up with our second when they changed schools as they moved up so don't buy thinking just cause you live down the street you will get in that school. Just a heads up Good Luck

Old 05-22-2008, 07:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theLedger View Post
Thankfully, I have been blessed with a great job in technology that allows me to work remotely from anywhere
Good, b/c to move to SWFL w/o employment is close to disasterous, especially when you have a family to support.

NE & NW CC are undergoing a very, very long process of getting public water/sewer put in. The city has thus tapped homeowners about an $18,000/per home assessment. You either pay it over time like a loan (without interest ) or a lein is put on your home. The NE & NW part of the Cape are under a lot of stalled development & a lot of the cheap homes you see are in that area b/c they are sitting empty & builders have to unload their inventory to make their stockholders happy. Buyer beware is all I can say.

When we were looking at buying in CC, our realtor told us that we could lower the asking price enough to cover the assessment. This was 2 yrs ago & the homes we were looking at have dropped in the area of $40-$65k, so we would have been overpaying back then. Things have seemed to slow down a little bit in terms of price drops, but there still may be some more drops & if not, DEFINITELY some major deals to be found if you are savvy, smart & know what your personal finances can handle.

Keep in mind that it costs money to cross over the CC bridge to get into & out of CC. You can buy a monthly pass, though.

Your biggest issue will not be finding a good housing deal, but finding a good deal where you are happy with the schools. School Choice should be eliminated, but it is politically correct move that county officials like to boost about. It can be painful.

Best of luck. I can see why you would want warmer weather b/c isn't it STILL snowing in WI? We moved back to our native roots in OH, but I couldn't take the types of winters you all have up there!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone for your very helpful information. And where I live in Wisconsin, there isn't any more snow but we did have a frost warning earlier this week.

We do have school choice here in Wausau but the requirement is that if you want your child to go to another school outside of your neighborhood, then you are responsible for transportation. As a result, it's not an issue at all up here.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM

246 posts, read 1,019,640 times
My kids went and one still goes to Gulf Elementary. Great school with lots of parent involvement. Ida Baker is a good HS, Mariner isn't bad but do stay away from Cape High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area