Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 AM

172 posts, read 945,791 times

Advertisements

Trafalgar Elementary is pretty good for the younger ones and I second Ida Baker High for your oldest. They're two of the best schools in the Cape and the principal of the elementary school is married to the principal of the high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:48 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
what month is the best month to enroll to get the school you want ? Trying for trafalgar middle or gulf. anyone know ? Boy you would think the schools would be empty , with the way people on this forum say people are leaving. LOL I was regestering my child and there was a ton of people from other states doing the same. I guess people are buying homes after all.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 59,938 times
Smile Quick note on the schools...

The best month to register your child is March I believe, this way you get into the first drawing for your choice school. You can visit the schools website for more info. Welcome to The School District of Lee County

As far as the schools go for the family looking... we had our children at Caloosa elementary for 4 years, I don't have any complaints, it is a great school with some sweet teachers. My kids would still be there except my oldest went into middle school this year and we didn't want him in public school (middle schools are not the greatest) so we sent them all to a private school after hearing that there is partial scholarships available Florida P.R.I.D.E. (we are sooooo greatful for it). As far as high schools go, I appologize but I can not truly recommend any of them to you, I have heard bad about everyone of them, except Ida Baker (mostly drug related problems) and this is first hand from family and friends. So basically I guess I would recommend Caloosa for elementary and private school after that! One note though, I have been hearing good things about the new charter schools, I would definetly look into them Cape Coral Charter Schools :0) Best wishes on your move, glad to have you.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:54 PM

135 posts, read 407,963 times
I too am headed to Florida. Will be heading that way next week to start the moving process. I have checked out St. Francis Xavier Catholic School for my children. I don't know how it compares to others? Does anyone have any information on it? Also, if you have a pre-school child and you send them to private pre-school, does the state have a voucher program of any kind that pays for a percent of it?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:20 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,880 times
anyone know about challenger middle school ?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 59,938 times
Smile A little help...

I am sorry I don't know much about Challenger middle other than it is a new school just in the last year or two, nice campus.

St.Francis has been around for years and I have never heard anything negative about it...not in the greatest part of town, downtown Ft.Myers, but they have a large, pretty campus. It is a highly respected school.

As far as preschool goes, there is a program for 4 year olds called VPK and the state pays for you to send them to the school of your choice. Here is the site: Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten - Early Learning Coalition of Southwest Florida (http://www.elcofswfl.org/vpk.html - broken link) , the earlier you sign them up and then sign them up with your school the better, the schools fill up fast.

Hope the info helps!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
Did you ever make the move Ledger? I am in the same boat but two years later, please teach me... I have one son in college and a set of twins (B/G) that when we move down there will be in 10th grade.
We own a corner lot on the canal 15 mins to river in the Ida district, but from past post it looks like it is not a sure thing. Just like you I am tried of the Chicago winters.

All, I bought this corner lot when I thought it was the bottom but guess what I was wrong again. Lot was 165k owe 145k was going to build on it but am looking at 300 - 350k plus lot = almost 500k Do I hang on to lot and wait for turn around (when ever that happens) and buy a used home??? I do not want to pay 500k but more like 300 -350k with gulf access and a lot of open window out to the lanai. Thoughts anyone? Thank you in advance.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 AM

Well I made the move and although not in the Cape (we are across the bridge in Fort Myers) we are very happy. The weather is great and we live in a very nice neighborhood. I can't help you with your housing situation because I am not too familiar with the Cape..........only over there once a week. But I will tell you to be leary of School Choice. We spent our entire first year bing bonging from school to school trying to find a decent one......even charter schools..............and ended up going to a private school in the end. Expensive............yes.............but worth every penny.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 AM
j15

3 posts, read 5,226 times
We are considering moving to the florida area and have also been looking for a good school district i have a 12 and 14 year looking for a good private school can you suggest any. Thanks

Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Depends on what is important to you. What kind of school do you want? Is religion important? Do you want a more strict environment? What extra-curricular things are important to you? Where are you going to be living and how far are you willing to drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area