Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 48,707 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to cape coral and am looking for some great schools. I have heard about school choice I lee county but would prefer to have the real option of choosing where my kids attend school. I appreciate any info or opinions about the city of cape coral charter schools especially the elementary and high schools. Also, what are the attendance requirements? If you reside anywhere in cape coral can you attend these schools? Is there or have there been waiting lists to enroll?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
More than anything, I think, these two websites are going to help you out.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Welcome to The School District of Lee County

Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyanne View Post
I will be moving to cape coral and am looking for some great schools. I have heard about school choice I lee county but would prefer to have the real option of choosing where my kids attend school. I appreciate any info or opinions about the city of cape coral charter schools especially the elementary and high schools. Also, what are the attendance requirements? If you reside anywhere in cape coral can you attend these schools? Is there or have there been waiting lists to enroll?

Thanks
i lived in the cape for over 15 years , you will love it ,all the schools are great, all of them. the schools go by a grading system pelican elem was and still is a a+ school. I hope you enjoy the cape one day i will go back

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 PM

135 posts, read 407,963 times
We tried a charter school in Lee County and were not impressed. It wasn't the one on the Cape though. You will have to call them to see if there is a waiting list. There was one when we enrolled at the other charter school but we eventually got in............just to get out.......ha ha. We were able to fill out paper work online and enroll that way at the other charter school.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,507 times
My sister-in-law works at Oasis Charter, they have elementary through highschool. All my neices and nephews go there and its a GREAT school!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:19 PM

I am interested in checking out oasis elementary but could not find out anything because the school was closed for spring break. Also, do you know anything about the high school. Does it have only 33 students?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Oasis looks exceptional. I wonder if there is a waiting list.

Welcome to Oasis Charter High School

Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 AM

9 posts, read 20,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyanne View Post
I am interested in checking out oasis elementary but could not find out anything because the school was closed for spring break. Also, do you know anything about the high school. Does it have only 33 students?

Oasis Elem is a WONDERFUL School. Mr. Hook the principal is the best. It is all about the kids and is an "A" school. There is a waiting list.
The HS just opened this year and has a way to go. My daughter is graduating from 8th grade and is not going to HS there. However it is not because it is not a good school, but because it is a small school and does not have as much to offer in the after school activities. They do offer the Cambridge program which is wonderful. There are about 450 students in the school including the 8th grade which is housed in the new HS building.Once full it should hold apx 750 students I believe. There is a waiting list to start 9th grade next year. If your child is entering a higher grade you should be OK. The principal is Mr. Terrell, very strict when needed, but also very nice.
Just an FYI. Every family has to do at least 30 volunteer hours per year or pay $10.00 for every hour no matter which school or grade you children are in. Not 30 hrs per child, just per family.
They do wear a school uniform which I like.
If you have more questions feel free to ask. I spend A LOT of time there.

Last edited by elle46; 04-12-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks Elle46,

My child will also be starting 9th grade next year. Do the waiting lists generally mean that you won't be able to attend the school until next year? Especially since I won't be able to register until next month. Which high school did you choose? I also have a child entering 3rd grade to worry about.
Thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 20,305 times
You have to go through school choice to get into a public HS. We were assigned Cape Coral HS which was our second choice. It is the only HS in the area that offers the IB program. Our first choice was Ida Baker which is going to be near impossible to get into. It is the only "A" HS in the area and EVERYONE wants to go there. We are #255 on the waiting list for that one. The principal pretty much told us that there is No Chance being that high on the list. Another good HS is North Fort Myers, but it is a hike if you live in the South end of the Cape which I do.
For your third grader I would choose Oasis. If you go with the public schools you may want to look into Gulf Elem. or Pelican Elem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area