Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM

213 posts, read 659,784 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Colorado we were thinking about either Ft Collins or the Castle Rock area. We have been to Ft. Collins on 2 seperate occassions but have only driven thru Castle Rock. My husband is a teacher with 6 years experience, I was a dispatcher for the Sheriff's office for 13yrs and I am now an accreditation inspector. We have one son who is 13. Does anyone have an opinion on which city might be a better fit for finding jobs, good schools : high schools. We are looking for an area that is family friendly, pet friendly, crime that is not really high, outdoor activities. I have read some negative posts on both areas, but would like some opinions either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
The two cities are pretty different.

The main one is that very few FC residents commute outside of Northern Colorado, and most work right in Fort Collins. It's not really considered a part of Metro Denver. Cities like Windsor, Loveland, and parts of Greeley feed commuters into Fort Collins. It is true that a few people commute from Fort Collins south, but it's relatively uncommon.

Castle Rock, on the other hand, is not really an independent community. Although it's physically far from Denver on a map, it's a bedroom community built to service commuters commuting to jobs in the DTC (Denver South) area and beyond.

Both school districts are known to be very good, so you should be fine either way. Crime would be fairly low in either community.

Fort Collins sometimes is known for having limited options in its job market, so that might be a problem. Castle Rock, being a bedroom community, has no job market at all, but as mentioned before people commute to south Denver.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:22 AM

423 posts, read 1,958,946 times
Fort Collins seems like a good fit for you. I am not familiar with Castle Rock though so I can not compare the two. My wife was a dispatcher for the Sheriffs office here for four years. They pay good and would welcome someone with experience. There are also four other dispatch centers here to pick from. As far as teachers I hear that if you have experience you have a much better chance of getting a job around here. I am not that familiar with the job availability for an accreditation inspector. There are good schools and low crime. As far as hiking and outdoor activities go all of that is available in both cities.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM

thank you for your information, we seemed to be leaning towards fort collins

Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM

260 posts, read 1,438,305 times
I lived in Fort Collins for 5 years during college. Its a great town. It's a college town. But it's pretty laid back and mellow. It's not ultra-liberal like Boulder (where I grew up). It's has it's own economy and was #1 rated by money magazine a few years back. It's not booming, but it's a nice escape of the crowds of the Denver metro.

I currently live in Castle Rock and like it a lot. It's an even smaller town feel, but the only local jobs are largely country or city government jobs. As others said, most people commute to Denver for work. Its also 30 minutes to the springs, so some work there also. Only 10 years ago, CR was 10k persons ... so was quite small. Fort Collins, on the other hand was probably 150k persons ... an has is own mall, etc.

Castle Rock gives you small town living while keeping your big town job. Fort Collins is medium town living and a medium size town job ... for most.

Driving from Ft. Collins to Denver is worse than it seems because the town is about 10-15 minutes West of I-25 ... so its quite a lot worse commute than coming in from CR each day ... since CR is right off I-25 for the most part.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Fort Collins is a self sustaining town. Castle Rock is a commuter suburb/exurb.
Fort Collins is a prettier town, Castle Rock is in a prettier setting.

Pick your poison, small town or "small town".

Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
Why does it always have to be one or the other?? You move to FT Collins and have hubby go to Castle Rock!
ok, lol Ft Collins also has a bit of university atmosphere ( Colorado State)

Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 AM

well i did make it to castle rock , in january of this year, had to turn around and come back to florida at the end of may school districts started cutting positions and my husband couldn't find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area